PDA

View Full Version : Press-on Cappers

Hanshi
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0465.jpg
Functional, not fancy and maybe not primitive, either. I like them better than the brass kind. I made them a while back when I had nothing better to do. One holds musket caps for my US M1841 and the other holds #11 for my Crockett.

coopieclan
01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I like your leathercrafts.
That is what part of what makes Muzzle-Loading cool.
(sustaining 100 year old ideas)
I have been using my fingers to cap my 1850 Remmy & little brass Derringer.
Sometimes I drop them.

Hanshi
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I like your leathercrafts.
That is what part of what makes Muzzle-Loading cool.
(sustaining 100 year old ideas)
I have been using my fingers to cap my 1850 Remmy & little brass Derringer.
Sometimes I drop them.

Thank you for the kind words. I heartily agree this is a big part of the fun. It's also a great learning experience for me.

Newtire
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi Hanshi,

I picked up a capper like that maybe at a rendezvous awhile back and it had slits to the outside so the cap just slides out. I like the round one you made, very cool!

northmn
01-23-2011, 01:07 PM
They work great and are nice in a hunting bag as you do not need all that stuff. For carrying in a bag I preferred to keep them covered or in a baag as the caps get filled with crud. At a Rondy a lot like to wear them or put them on a thong.

DP

Hanshi
01-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Hanshi,

I picked up a capper like that maybe at a rendezvous awhile back and it had slits to the outside so the cap just slides out. I like the round one you made, very cool!

The round capper seems to work okay as is but I did have to cut slits in the edge of the musket capper. The leather is thicker and the cuts do help the big caps slide out more easily. I made another #11 leather capper with even thinner leather that holds 24 caps. It also works well but as the leather is thin and flexible it may stretch over time and fail to hold the caps securely. Only time will tell.

Northmn, I put thongs on all the cappers so they could be carried around the neck. I hunt with flint, only, and would most likely just be using them just at the range. Loss and damage was a consideration when I made them with cap loss taking president over damage. I think I'd probably put them in my bag if I found myself in a particularly thick or brushy area.