PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloading Shotgun

KCSO
01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Our local gun show was this weekend and I was the only fellow with Muzzleloaders, real muzzleloaders on the table so when a fellow from a neighboring town wanted to trade off a muzzleloader I got the gun shown here.

This is a nominal 12 bore s/s shotgun in percussion made in Rakovitz prior to 1875. The gun is highly figured walnut and the evgraving is chisled some in relief. The Maker J Tschertner has not been identified yet. I cleaned the gun and honed out the bores and put on some new nipples and it is ready to hunt with.

The best part is... after i got the gun the fellow came back with a tin box 8x10x4". With a lock on the front. I thought it was a coin box, but no It's a complete shooters kit that was brought over with the gun. Included in the box were tools to reload pinfire 16 Ga. shells and caps and primers from I would guess the 1880's. The neatest item in the box was the horn and ivory powder measure, that may have been supplied with the gun.

Boz330
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
What a find!!!!!!!!!
I fixed a stock on a SXS percussion for a friend 30+ years ago. I had to try it out afterwords and it was the most natural pointing shotgun that I have ever shouldered. Absolutely couldn't miss a clay with it. It belonged to the guys grandfather and I doubt it has been shot since.

Bob

waksupi
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Holy cow! Great score!

stubshaft
01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Beauoootifuul!

two dogs
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
nice deal. that horn powder measure is the cats ass.

KCSO
01-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Here is the tin shooters box that came with the gun. It was FULL of laoding stuff from 1850 to 1900 with tools for m/l, pinfire and centerfire shotguns. The compartment on the right is a pull out powder flask and the right side is from the top lidded for shot and two wad compartments. The center compartments were full of primers, caps and a couple pin firle shells. The powder measure of horn and ivory was in there too.

Now for the best part, it shoots! 75 grains of FFg and 1 oz of shot shoots cylinder from both barrels and will make a dandy rabbit gun.

DIRT Farmer
01-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Another adventure. I get a lot of enjoyment taking the old guns to the field and range. Play with the loads and wads sone, you might be able to tighen the pattern up so you can play different games. I don't eat pizza because I like it, I just need the boxes for patterning.

KCSO
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
The Schwan's round pizza trays are good for that!

Boz330
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Back when we had rabbits in KY I use to hunt with a little 20ga SXS ML. We use to just walk up the rabbits so usually the shots were close. The Cyl bore was a lot easier on meat than my Modified 12ga. The natural aiming point was that cotton tail and that close with a 12ga didn't leave a lot of eating.:groner: The little 20 was the ticket though. I had lots of good times with that little gun and kept the freezer full. Now days you can't hardly find a rabbit.

Bob

Hanshi
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
What a gorgeous acquisition! WOW! That is awesome. :drinks::brokenima

Newtire
01-22-2011, 05:15 PM
That is one fine looking piece! Hope you keep us posted on shooting results-I am interested.

I finally got the time and the weather to cooperate enough to go shoot my nicest M/L twice barreled carabine shootgun. I had never shot the thing but tried it out today.

I got a hone from a place in LA and cleaned it up real good and replaced one of the trigger return springs with a wire one I made. Finally, I replaced the nipples.

I loaded equal (by measure) charges of 1oz and then 1-1/8oz loads using a glued together thickness cardboard from the stationary shop over the powder wad with a plastic shotcup cut off from a wad over that and then the shot and a single thickness cardboard wad.

I found the shotcups intact with just a little scrub from the barrel and knocked over the 1-pint water bottle at 40 yards every shot.

Today was just a "spin-around-the-block" test drive but I intend to take it up to pattern check it and shoot a few clays also. It points real natural and may turn me into a side by side fan if I can hit clays with it.

I don't know what it is actually as far as who made it. It has no proof marks but there is a date "August 1868" stamped on the action inside. Anyone have any ideas?