PDA

View Full Version : I am happy with Leupold!

BD
01-17-2011, 03:49 PM
About 20 years ago I decided that I was at a point in my life where, if I was careful, I could afford to put together the sort of hunting rifle I'd always wanted. This was made possible by my brother finding a NIB .270 WBY MK IV at an auction for $400. I bought it, floated and pillar bedded the barrel, and topped it off with a Leupold Vari-X III, 3.5 x 10 AO that I bought used for $300. Over the years that gun has been deer hunting in the east, elk hunting out west and caribou hunting up north more than a few times. It really served me well, accounting for a fair share of game, right up until this past fall when I took it to the range to sight in for an Idaho elk hunt.

I benched it up at the 200 yard line and put three on the paper and for the first time since I first mounted the scope they made a crappy 7" group, high and 4" wide to the left. I dialed in the corrections and fired three more, now low with one round off on it's own someplace. I figured it was time for a re-tightening and took the rifle home, pulled the barreled action, cleaned it good and re-torqued into the bedding and then re-torqued the scope rings. The next Saturday I was back at the range but the results were even worse. With my departure date just 4 days off I pulled the scope, mailed it back to Leupold with a letter, and went to Bass Pro to buy a replacement. A friend of mine had recently bought one of the new Nikons with the BDC reticule and was pretty happy with it so a Nikon 4.5-14 AO with the BDC came home with me. I mounted it, sighted in and off to Idaho I went. The hunt was fun, but no Elk were located, and I was feeling a bit jinxed.

Now for the good part; When I got home I had a letter from Leupold asking me to give them a call. I did, figuring they were gonna bill me for shipping or some such. As it turns out they had determined that my old Vari-X III was not repairable and as they no longer offer a 3.5-10 AO Vari-X III, they were giving me a choice between a 3.5-10 VX-III with the new custom elevation knob system, or a 4.5-14 VX-III AO! Hard for me to believe that they would replace a scope I'd bought used 20 years ago with a new higher power VX-III worth twice what I'd originally paid, but that was the deal. I felt so good that I ponied up the extra $150 to get the 4.5-14 with the AO and the custom elevation dial. I gave them the ballistic info on my load and a couple of week later there it was in the mail. I took it to the range last week, bore sighted it, fired one shot and 100, dialed it in and shot a three shot group on the paper at 200. I dialed in the corrections and shot a second group at 200 dead center. I zero'd the knob for the 200 yard sight in, tighten the set screws and dialed it to 300. Three shots, dead center at 300. :) :)

Back in business, better than before!

BD

RobS
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Very good on your end and great customer service as always been a strong hold for Leupold. The 270 thanks you for putting a nice accessory on it I'm sure. :)

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm sure most companies have a bad situation at some time, but Leupold is, for sure one of the good ones.

Miles ahead even at 3 or 4 times the price of some of the low priced junk out there.

Could name names, but will just say I have never been disapointed with Leupold!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

xr650
01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Good on Leupold.

Glad to hear you like the CDS. I just put one on a rifle and waiting for my dials.

Blammer
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Wow! that's awesome!

EOD3
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
They have excellent customer service alright but... I have (mostly) always bought Leupold scopes, primarily the VXII and VXIII models because they represented an unconditional, constant value. A VXIII was always worth the money you paid for it and selling it for some reason was pretty much a cash balanced deal. When they "adjusted" their product line a few years ago, they devalued most of their existing products. Now, you never loose money unless you sell one but it's annoying all the same.

Smoke-um if you got-um
01-17-2011, 11:48 PM
I've only had to send back two scopes and Leupold was wonderful to deal with. Both came back better than new and the turn around time was extremely fast. Cannot say the same for another major maker(unnamed) that has had two sent back to them. Took several phone calls for each to finally get any satisfactory service, but to give them their due scopes were returned as good as new and worked perfectly. Leupold wins hands down in the service department. Makes it easy to know what brand I will purchase next.

clintsfolly
01-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Was at the range 2yrs ago and a guy up the line was having problems with his Leopold. He came up and wanted to borrow a screwdriver as his would not fit the screws. So i went to help him. His rifle was shifting POA all over. he wanted to switch out scopes. after we got them switched and sighted the new other brand scope. he gave me his used vx1 2x7! I sent it in for repair and it's on my 458AccRel taking about 400rds of recoil and still going strong. Clint

Geraldo
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Almost all of the scopes I've owned have been Leupolds because their warranty service is excellent, if you even need it. I've found their scopes to be more durable than other brands in the same price range.

There was an article years ago, I believe in Rifle, about Leupold. The author had a horse roll over on his scabbarded rifle, crushing it and the Leupold. He said that Leupold fixed the scope and sent a note back with it saying that next time he should get a better horse.

firefly1957
01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
It is great for a company to stand by its products. I know they make a very good pistol scope I have a early 2X on a Contender in 357-44 Brain & Davis 10 " . The gun smith installed it with the removable mounts where you can remove a screw and turn it a quarter turn to remove. After 15 years and a couple hundred rounds the scope bent and would turn during recoil.
I was going to return it but bought a solid mount installed scope tightened it up and it works fine now.