PDA

View Full Version : My Elk Hunt

Gunload Master
11-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, I thought I would tell my story of the past week elk hunting.

Opening day was Oct. 25th. The very early morning (before sunrise) was pretty chilly. I'd say around 20-25 degrees. We started up the hill and just as it started getting light enough to see without a flashlight, a big snow storm came in through the valley. Most beautiful sight you could see on opening day.
So as we are heading up, we hear two different elk calling back and forth and we new we were in the right direction.
We ended up forcing them over the hill into some thick pines, which was ideal for us. We got on top of the ridge, hurried down around the pines on the other side of the valley facing the pines, tied up the horses and got into position. From where we were, we could see anything that would come out of those pines from east to west, north or south. It was perfect.
From within those pines you could hear two elk calling back and forth, makes your hair stand up on the back of your neck. I had the range finder and ranged three positions up the hill so I would know a rough guess of where they might be once they poke their heads out.
Sure enough, out comes three cows from the pines, in no big rush. I scoped them out, ranged them from 240 Meters and watched...
Moments later, out walks a 5 x 5 (which later measured 32 wide 31 high [smilie=1: ). So I took up aim, and fired. He ran behind a tree for a few moments.. Slowly walked out and I knew I had hit him. About 12 cow elk darted all over the place and he stayed right there, I shot "a few" more times because the guy would not go down!
He then slowly walked behind a tree out of view. We gave it a few minutes, walked up there and he was their laying down. Ohh what a thrill. We approached with some caution and within about 10 feet, he jumped up got about 10 feet where my brother finished him right in the neck. Oh what a thrill! Opening day and there he is! He may not be the biggest elk in the hills, but he's a keeper.

First picture is me with the elk, second picture is me my brother and our horses. He's got the elk on his quarter horse as you can see. Enjoy!

waksupi
11-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Good going! Cast boolits, hopefully?

Baldy
11-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Sure was a great day. The memorys for a life time.

Bass Ackward
11-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Congratulations.

Enjoyable reading. Sounds as if you were very familiar with the area if you were able to position yourselves like that. It really helps.

You said that you heard .... two buggling. What did the other Elk look like or did he get out on ya?

6pt-sika
11-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Congrats :drinks:

Looks a little cold in those pictures [smilie=1:

DOUBLEJK
11-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Willy
Fess up now ya's showed us the pic a that paint packin' at least a 20MM recoiless...all them holes were from one round a HE...[smilie=1:

Seriously nice report n pics...

Add my Congrats ta the list...

JDL
11-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Congrats, very respectable elk! Load details? -JDL

Gunload Master
11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Good going! Cast boolits, hopefully?
Unfortunately not cast on this one. That .300 weatherby is setup for shooting at 3,200 FPS, and if I could get a cast boolit to shoot accurate at 3,200 FPS out to 500+ yards with this gun, I would be a miracle worker :)

You said that you heard .... two buggling. What did the other Elk look like or did he get out on ya?
That's one thing that's going to haunt me forever. We heard this bull buggling and another one above it buggling. This one came out with some cows as I said, and it looked wide enough and good enough for me to take. The clearing it walked into was a great shot, and it was heading toward more trees with the cow's. I thought I better take it. Pretty much after shooting it, no one thought about looking for the other one, so where it went, or how big it was will remain a mystery.

Congrats :drinks:

Looks a little cold in those pictures [smilie=1:

Actually that was one of the warmer days, the clouds helped to keep some heat in the valleys, maybe 28-32 degrees out. The other mornings it was around 10 degrees, clear skys.

Congrats, very respectable elk! Load details? -JDL
180 grain Core-Lokt
84.5 grains IMR 4831

I'm not mocking cast boolits in any way here, but the 180 grain core-lokt for long distance accuracy and stopping power is one of my favorite boolits to shoot. In-fact I found a mushroomed bullet while cutting it up.. I think I still got it, I will snap a photo of it.

RugerFan
11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Very nice ! Congrats. Weather looked really wicked.

9.3X62AL
11-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Excellent work, Willy! Lots of fine memories to treasure, for sure.

I must warn you--there could be some heckling from the cheap seats on your use of a redcoated bullet to "make backstraps". I made this same faux pas and admitted to it in the text--received comprehensive chastisement--and was obliged to go get a 2nd tag and do things properly. Don't know if you have that capability or not, and I only suggest it as a route to redemption that I'm currently upon. :-)

swheeler
11-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Good job Willy!

carpetman
11-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Willy---You said second picture is you,your brother and your horses. I dont find two people??? Now with Buckshot and pictures of Toby,Buckshot wore a hat so we could tell which was which.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Nice shot! I have a supply of 150Gn and 180 Gn Core lokts and will be using them in my pre 64 308 on Sambar, which is Elk sized. Don't worry, I will be taking the 444S as well when 357Max's group buy mould arrives. 444S for hunting the blackberries by the river, 308 in the hills. Mick.

Gunload Master
11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Haha, good catch there carpetman, I worded that way wrong. My brother, my horse, and his horse.. There we go :)

It's good to see another Core Lokt fan 4finger :)

carpetman
11-06-2006, 11:20 PM
GunloadMaster---The reason you didnt have a picture of both you and your brother is that you dont have your horse trained to take pictures. Now Ol Toby was such a good photograper,Buckshot couldnt even tell if the picture was him or Toby.

lar45
11-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Very nice, Congrats.
I've been shooting the 165 corelokts in my 30-06 at 2730 fps with 61gns RL22.(I'm trying WC852 now at the same velocity) They shoot sub 1" in every gun I've tried them in. They have been doing real well on Elk and Deer. I think they are holding up so well on Elk because of the moderate velocity. My son shot a big calf thursday evening, he ran out of our handloads and was shooting some store bought 150's. He hit it twice but lost it in the snow. So he put up markers to find the area at first light. He found the calf in the morning and something had been eating on it. He's thinking it was a bear from the bite marks and also some yahoo has a bear bait about 20 yards off the road in that area. He said most of the intestines were gone and lost very little meat.

I do like the corelokts, and you can get them in boxes of 1000 at midway. I picked up some of the 30 cal 180's to try and also some 8mm 185's for my 325 long mauser project.