PDA

View Full Version : Question about .35 cal Gator checks

Marlin Junky
11-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I'd like to know how the .35 cal. Gator checks compare to .35 cal. Hornady checks in terms of thickness. If the Gator check is thicker/stronger than the Hornady check, would a .35 cal. rifle boolit wearing a Gator check be able to withstand more pressure than the same boolit wearing a Hornady check? I was trying to get some input regarding this topic under the Group-Buy thread but I guess the feeding frenzy was too great and my questions went unanswered. I'd appreciate some input before it's too late to participate in the .35 cal. Gator check group buy. Even though I've already got about 5K to 6K .35 cal. Hornady checks, maybe the Gator check would work better with full tilt Whelen loads. A little help would be appreciated because I haven't actually started loading for the Whelen yet... I'm still waiting to pick it up.

MJ

felix
11-02-2006, 10:44 PM
MJ, Larry told me that the Hdy and the Gator 35's are close to a perfect match, except with a little more bite on the Gators to take care of shanks which are a little small. You should be able to shoot either brand full tilt with any 35 gun you are able to handle. ... felix

Marlin Junky
11-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Thank you Felix.

MJ

No_1
11-03-2006, 06:49 AM
MJ,
There is a reason I did not answer this question. Handling the Gatorcheck GB's has evolved into what I would loosely discribe as a "partnership" between Larry, Felix and myself. I can answer questions about the shipping/handling/distribution of the GC's. Felix handles talking with the Gator and the tech questions regarding the GatorChecks. I think you are correct about the frenzy and I appologize that your question went unanswered in a timely manner.

Robert

I'd like to know how the .35 cal. Gator checks compare to .35 cal. Hornady checks in terms of thickness. If the Gator check is thicker/stronger than the Hornady check, would a .35 cal. rifle boolit wearing a Gator check be able to withstand more pressure than the same boolit wearing a Hornady check? I was trying to get some input regarding this topic under the Group-Buy thread but I guess the feeding frenzy was too great and my questions went unanswered. I'd appreciate some input before it's too late to participate in the .35 cal. Gator check group buy. Even though I've already got about 5K to 6K .35 cal. Hornady checks, maybe the Gator check would work better with full tilt Whelen loads. A little help would be appreciated because I haven't actually started loading for the Whelen yet... I'm still waiting to pick it up.

MJ

Bass Ackward
11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Rasin frussin *~)#|!

I was hoping that the Gator checks would be a little thicker because 35 caliber checks are the thinest of all checks. Don't ask me why, but I suppose it has something to do with handguns. If you need to size .360, Hornady's can really lose the tension even if you anneal. I guess that is why I have that barrel sizer.

Ma! Yo ma! Pick up another tube of Super Glue!

ben1025
11-03-2006, 10:39 AM
MJ: I've sold my 2 whelens. Have no use for the moulds, hornady and gator gas checks and H&I sizers. If interested drop me a pm. ben1025

felix
11-03-2006, 10:55 AM
John, they might be a little thicker to the outside, or it could be that they are slightly tougher. That is the way they feel when I size them. No problems sizing 360. No, they don't rotate, at least on my shanks. I have the Lyman 160, and two Saeco 180s. ... felix

Bass Ackward
11-03-2006, 11:02 AM
oh GOOD!!!! That's what I wasa wantin.

Thanks,
Felix

Marlin Junky
11-04-2006, 12:20 AM
MJ, Larry told me that the Hdy and the Gator 35's are close to a perfect match, except with a little more bite on the Gators to take care of shanks which are a little small. You should be able to shoot either brand full tilt with any 35 gun you are able to handle. ... felix

John, they might be a little thicker to the outside, or it could be that they are slightly tougher. That is the way they feel when I size them. No problems sizing 360. No, they don't rotate, at least on my shanks. I have the Lyman 160, and two Saeco 180s. ... felix

OK, which is it... are they thicker or not? Is there anyone out there who can weigh and measure the thickness of a .35 cal. Gator check? When Felix said "a little more bite" earlier, I assumed there was just a little more material at the crimp point.

What is the last day of the .35 cal. Gator check Group-Buy?

MJ

Marlin Junky
11-04-2006, 12:22 AM
MJ: I've sold my 2 whelens. Have no use for the moulds, hornady and gator gas checks and H&I sizers. If interested drop me a pm. ben1025

Ben,

I'm interested but gotta run. You can email me at marlinjunky@yahoo.com. I haven't looked at my email for a while but will check it later tonight.

MJ

jhalcott
11-04-2006, 01:06 AM
ben 1025 you have a PM

ben1025
11-04-2006, 06:45 AM
I wrote up a list of 20 items I don't want anymore and pm it to 5 of you that sent me a pm but for some reason your user names were not recognized. I give up.

ben1025
11-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I'll list them on the sell and swap forum. Something wrong with the pm to 5 members at a time. and I don't know how to cut and paste.

Marlin Junky
11-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Ben,

Feel free to contact me at marlinjunky@yahoo.com.

MJ