PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Test Loads

school of mines
01-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Got some reloading time today so I loaded up some test loads for my Trapdoor. I am trying to determine which of 3 lyman boolits will perform the best in my Trapdoor. The 457125 has been my primary boolit. But, I wanted to try the Postell and Schmittzer as well. So I loaded 10 rounds of each with Swiss 1 1/2 FG, Win brass, and Federal magnum primers and Walters .060 wads. I used the same compression on each round with my Lee compression die. Now I am planning on shooting test groups at 200 yards and seeing which one performs the best. All boolits are 20 to 1 alloy.

I was curious as to the development difference between the Postell and the Schmittzer. Anyone know the history of the two? And does anyone have experience with either in the Trapdoor?

Chris Smith
01-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I've shot lots of the Postell bullets in my 1889 Trapdoor. I cast them from wheel weights and shoot them as cast. My rifle requires the bullet be seated to the very top edge of the first band or I can't close the breechblock. I have tried pure lead also and the results(for me) were about the same. My best load with smokeless is 20.5 grains of 5744 and I get 5 rounds into about 2 inches at 100 yards and it shoots just about point of aim too. 28.9 grains (lee dipper 2.2) of IMR-3031 averages 2 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards. The only black power load I have tried with this bullet was 50 grains of 3f and I got a 3 shot group of about 3 1/2 inches at 100 yards. It was the only granulation I had at the time. With the bullet being rather long you wont be able to get a lot of powder in the case and I'd recomend using a proven lube for black powder. I've always used standard large rifle primers and have had no problems but your rifle might prefer the hotter ones. It's all part of the fun.

school of mines
01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the response Chris! I too found I had to seat the Postell to the top edge of the first band so I could close the breechblock.

I am still trying to determine the performance difference between the Schmittzer and the Postell. I did read one shooter's opinion that the Schmittzer was fine to 300 yards, but at longer ranges the Postell was more accurate. Anyone have any input on this?

Chris Smith
01-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I've only shot mine at 100 yards(all the range offers) but I was impressed. They do make a lot of dirt fly at the backstop though. One observer said it was enough to bury a small dog. I would like to be able to use the Buffington sight on my rifle for more distance though.

John Boy
01-18-2011, 11:59 PM
School - my '73 Trapdoor with a 454 groove, the 457125 govt bullet (500grs) and 70gr of Swiss 1.5 ... knocked over a Ram @ 500 meters ... Offhand! Lucky shot :smile: Also put the bank down shooting bench rest

This rifle also like the 405 HB bullet, cast 1:30

school of mines
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Holy cow John! I hope I get good enough to take a ram at 500m! That definitely gives me a goal to shoot for! Ha!

boommer
01-20-2011, 03:27 AM
The Lee 405 HB works really nice in my ol'e Trappy my mold throws it out at .459 at 30-1 and the groves are .460. Don't under estimate how those rifles will shoot.
The softer the bullet the better of you are so the bullet will bump up and seal the barrel.

The load for hollow base 405 is very simple W/W case fire formed WLR primers
70 grs. Swiss 1.5 by weight bullet seated and used to compress the powder because there is very little compression to the powder to the load, and NO card.

The 405 grain bullet also keeps the recoil down on the rifle. I say this because that stock is over 125 years old. I shoot mine a lot so try and keep the wear and tear down. I have used the Lee 500gr. and Lyman postell 535 gr. and both work well.
I Loaded the Lee and Lyman with 70grs. also but with .030 card and paper on top of the card.
Now as far which nose design or bullet is going to perform the best
WHO KNOWS in those old bores. The best thing you can slug the bore and see where you stand there, it could be .463 and then might be looking at H B bullet or paper patching unless you by chance find a mold that throws a fat bullet to get any accuracy out the old girl.

ian45662
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Saeco 881 does great in my 84 trapdoor. 69 grains of goex 2f with that boolit will keep the groups under 4 inches at 225 yards