PDA

View Full Version : Update on Jarrett

Jim
01-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I want to let all parties concerned know that I haven't forgotten about Jarrett. Between school, basketball, wrestling, church activities/events and chores, he's been a very busy young man.
His mother has called me three times in the last two weeks apologizing for not making time for him to come here. She's trying hard to make it happen. I've tried to be understanding, telling her that this is a hobby and has to come after required activities.
We WILL eventually get him over here and get him in the mix. When we do, one of the first things we'll do is get him registered, help him with his first post and put up some photos of him at the bench.

I want to thank everyone that has contributed, both in encouragement and concretely, to this effort. Several members have PMed me offering equipment and supplies to help Jarrett get started. There's no possible way I could have provided all this on my own and his parents could not have, either.

There is no greater bunch of guys assembled in any one place than right here on Cast Boolits. When it comes to generosity and helpfulness, I'd bet the farm that this forum would smoke any other on the net. And I'd walk away with everybody's money, too.

Thanks, guys. Y'all are a great bunch to be affiliated with.

pmeisel
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
You're doing a good work and I await with interest!

Jim
01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
If all goes well and according to plan, Jarrett is coming over about 1 PM Friday.

EOD3
01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Anybody with a youngster or two under his wing is getting it done. Keep up the good work Jim. :idea:

PS: We need U-RAH and Simper Fi smileys.

Moonie
01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I really need to get my sons over for lessons more.

+1 to EOD3 with smileys.

Jim
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
8:58 AM, Friday, 21 Jan.-
Jarrett and his brother Caleb are coming over this afternoon about 1:00 PM.[smilie=w:

Me? Excited? Where'd you get a crazy idea like that?:bigsmyl2:

Jim
01-21-2011, 10:10 PM
FINALLY!
Jarrett made it over today. And I got a "two for the price of one" deal in the process! Jarrett's brother, Caleb, who is 12, also came over. Turns out he's interested in gun stuff, but advised me he doesn't care for guns being used to kill people. I thought that was rather compassionate and mature for a boy 12 years old.
We sat and talked for 3 hours. I introduced them to some terms relevant to the hobby. They know the difference between a bullet and a boolit. The know what lube is and what it's for. They understand why a measurement as fine as a piece of paper can make a difference in a boolit working or not. They learned about powder shapes like flake, ball, flattened ball and stick. They learned about the 4 components that make a cartridge and that a cartridge is NOT a bullet. They learned about brass and why we keep them.
They learned about gas checks and what purpose they serve. Each had an opportunity to check some 6.5 boolits and size them. They got introduced to a caliper and were shown how a sizer die works and how it changes a boolit to make it fit right. They each got to size some .44-240-TLSWC boolits and tumble lube them.
We set up the presses with dies and made a dummy round to take home for show and tell. They understand belling, seating and crimping.

These two boys are very observant and analytical in their thinking. They were asking some really good questions. We had a really great time and enjoyed the time in the gun room.

Their parents are still a bit apprehensive about having their pictures spattered all over the internet, so they asked me to give them some time to find a happy medium for all concerned. I honored their request. We'll get there.

In the mean time, the parents are OK with me helping the boys set up their own email addies so they can register and post. I'll be starting on that tonight when I'm done here. As soon as I can, I'll get them back over here and help them get registered.

Stay tuned for further developments in this late breaking story.

RayinNH
01-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Jim it sounds like you had a good time with the two boys. So who's having more fun ;-) ?

Did you also tell them it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take the dummy round to school for show and tell? That would get them expelled for a while and a trip to a re-education camp to set their heads straight :rolleyes:...Ray

Jim
01-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Hard to say who had more fun, truth be told!

They're home schooled, so no problem on the dummy round.

lead-1
01-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Glad to hear its getting a good start, I talked to a nephew a few weeks back that is just getting started into firearms and hunting. He went hunting with my oldest son and was told to save his hulls. He comes to me at a get family together and says he is saving his empties because he hears I can refill them, I see teaching him to reload in the future.

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Jim Maybe I missed it but I will ask anyway. Is there or could you post a list of items that these brothers still need to set up their OWN loading bench at their home?

Yes this is the most generous family on the internet and I bet if people knew what you need it would show up at your front door in a heartbeat.

Jim
01-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Bill, THIS IS THE THREAD (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=104054) that deals with exactly that.

Jim
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Just got an email from Jarrett and Caleb's Dad. A photo from yesterday's visit is approved for posting!

Here's my boys!

Gas checkin' 6.5s. Two boys at the bench, takin' turns at the press, that's a beautiful sight, ain't it fellas?[smilie=w::bigsmyl2:

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/pics-028-e1295664334636.jpg

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
That is what it is all about. Congratulations sir

Olevern
01-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Jim,
Glad ya got them started, they will absorb all you have to offer like a sponge if they have a real interest in shooting/reloading/casting. You will be answering many "what if" questions as well as all manner of other questions. I have taught many children to reload over the years I have mentored children and youth, don't have to tell you...but you are blessed. Now that you have two boys/siblings interested, how are you going to handle the gifts that came in from members for Jarrett? Gonna be some hurt feelings if you're not able to make some alterations to the original plan. Just curious, do you plan to construct a second bench for the donated reloading gear at your house? That would be my recommendation for the near future. Perhaps at some time in the future, when you are comfortable with their knowledge and progress, you can move the bench to their house and allow them to do case prep. there, but leave the powder charging and bullet seating for when they are supervised by you. Have you considered attempting to get their father involved in learning as well. If he has any interest (and the requisite time) he might provide that adult supervision at some time in the future. Whatever your plans, you will be blessed as you engage in relationship building with your two protegee. Keep posting the boys progress, we will be happy to hear how they are doing.
Olevern

Blammer
01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Good deal!

Don't forget to talk about gun safety and the 3 rules of gun safety. Start now. :)

Jim
01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Blammer,
Gun safety is the next class. The first time we met, it just kinda' messin' around and lettin' 'em fool around on the press with some harmless stuff.

Vern,
If this goes the way I think it is, I'll build a bench for them in their basement and they can help me set it up. The supplies will be there for both of them. The two boys get along great. No fights, quarrels or competition. There's more than enough rifles here for Caleb to have access to.
Jarrett is a hunter. His goal is to put one on the ground with his own loads.
Caleb is very interested in all this, but doesn't care to kill anything. And that's OK, too. There's plenty for him to do without killing game. He might turn out to be a boolit load developer!

EOD3
01-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Looks to me like your doing good work. Will the boys follow your instructions when you're not watching?

I say that because I have first-hand experience with the things a boy can get into with some gunpowder and a little time... Let's just say EOD came naturally for me. :mrgreen:

Jim
01-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Oh, they won't be left unattended with the supplies or the equipment to do this for a loooong time. I explained to both of them that this is not something you learn to do in 2 weeks.
You may rest assured, they will be under the watchful eye of ol' "Mr. Jim" until I KNOW they are fully qualified to do this without supervision. Given my background in industrial safety and how anal I can get about doing things safely, I ain't ABOUT to let this get out of hand.
When it comes time to actually load ammunition, shoot, cast or do any of the tasks associated with this that might have the slightest chance of creating an injury, you'll be seeing photos of the boys wearing gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection or any of the necessary PPE that might be appropriate.

songdog53
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Jim. doing great job and need more good folks like you in this world.

Jim
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence. It ain't a job, though! I'm havin' a BALL with these two boys!

jbelder
01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
That is so cool! I wish more of the younger generation had more interest in shooting and hunting than video games. Keep up the great work!

Jim
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Below is a photo of supplies donated to the boys by one of our members. This is just one example of the packages I have received.

I want to thank all of you that have contributed to getting these boys off the ground and on their way to learning how to cast, handload and shoot.

Jarrett, Caleb and I are excitedly anticipating a visit by an anonymous member in about two weeks. All we have been told is that he is bringing some things for the boys. What's got us so excited is, he asked me if I have a truck!

If he gives me permission, I'll post photos.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/124-005-e1296598585192.jpg