PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic Bullet--Deer Tag Filled!

9.3X62AL
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
To paraphrase Ken Waters, the gods of the hunt smiled upon me yesterday about 7:00 A.M. and I harvested a forkhorn muley buck. I had brought along j-words in the Ruger 77 (6.5 x 55), lots of varied country where we were going to hunt.

I had only been sitting about 20 minutes when the buck stepped into a clearing within a mixed pine/oak grove, about 60 yards away and 90*. I hit him a little far back, about halfway down his ribcage. He piled up about 20 yards away. The 140 grain Nosler Partition went through and through, as you might expect from such a bullet at shorter range on lighter game. No complaints at all on bullet performance.

This was a near-perfect setting for the 9.3 x 62 and cast boolits, and I wish I had brought that rifle along--or Great-Grandpa's '73 in 44-40. It turned out otherwise, the Swede needed an outing too--and venison was made.

44man
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Great! I love the Swede too, just quit using it because it was too easy---see a deer and it's dead!

fatnhappy
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
No flies on the swede. Hope you didn't hit him so far back as to ruin the liver.

9.3X62AL
11-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Missed the liver, well forward--but it's not something I care for anyway.

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
That's great Al. Congratulations.

Woulda been nice though to have finally answered that age old question that has been plaguing this board for a few years now, .... will a 9.3 at 1700 fps actually kill a deer. [smilie=1:

Personally, I believe that it would. But what worries me is that HAS TO BE the unluckiest caliber / gun on this planet. :grin:

Maybe you should take it to a gun bash or an NRA convention and have an exerocism performed. Try smearing a little blood on it or something.

rugerman1
11-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Congratulations Deputy Al :drinks:

9.3X62AL
11-02-2006, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=Bass Ackward;115939]

Personally, I believe that it would. But what worries me is that HAS TO BE the unluckiest caliber / gun on this planet. :grin:

QUOTE]

ROFLMAO here. I've beaten everybody up with this subject since 2002, then go and use The Wrong Rifle yesterday. I think that 270 grainer at 1700 FPS would do just fine, now I'll have to wait another year to find out. In the meantime, I'll strafe some jackrabbits with it to keep its eye steady and its resolve firm.

NVcurmudgeon
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Hmmm....... lead boolit, 270 grains, mv 1700. That might be a good deer cartridge in a Winchester 94 or Marlin 93. You say it's been done? A High Speed .38/55? What will they think of next?

SharpsShooter
11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
You realize that since you used a J-word boolit, you have invariably offended the casting gods. [smilie=1: For the next year your bottom pour will drip, screws will fall out of mould handles while the blocks are hot, mould blocks will fail to close completely creating modern art under the mould trapping it in the mould guide of your bottom pour drip-a-matic.:mrgreen:

Meat in the freezer! Way to go !

SS

JDL
11-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Congrats Deputy Al. I'd bet next paycheck that 270 grains @ 1700 would definately have filled your tag but, no better than the 6.5. Seems I remember Frank Marshal was fond of a 270 grain @ 1500 in a .38-55 for whitetail. -JDL

9.3X62AL
11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
You realize that since you used a J-word boolit, you have invariably offended the casting gods. [smilie=1: For the next year your bottom pour will drip, screws will fall out of mould handles while the blocks are hot, mould blocks will fail to close completely creating modern art under the mould trapping it in the mould guide of your bottom pour drip-a-matic.:mrgreen:

SS

In other words--business as usual. Got it.

Glen
11-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Good stuff Al! Enjoy some of that venison for me!

waksupi
11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Good going, Al.

But, doncha kinda feel like a backslider?......

LAH
11-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Congrats on the deer...........Creeker

Slowpoke
11-03-2006, 12:01 AM
To paraphrase Ken Waters, the gods of the hunt smiled upon me yesterday about 7:00 A.M. and I harvested a forkhorn muley buck. I had brought along j-words in the Ruger 77 (6.5 x 55), lots of varied country where we were going to hunt.

I had only been sitting about 20 minutes when the buck stepped into a clearing within a mixed pine/oak grove, about 60 yards away and 90*. I hit him a little far back, about halfway down his ribcage. He piled up about 20 yards away. The 140 grain Nosler Partition went through and through, as you might expect from such a bullet at shorter range on lighter game. No complaints at all on bullet performance.

This was a near-perfect setting for the 9.3 x 62 and cast boolits, and I wish I had brought that rifle along--or Great-Grandpa's '73 in 44-40. It turned out otherwise, the Swede needed an outing too--and venison was made.

Hmmm ---- I think I smell Tamales.

Happy for you !

Good luck

DOUBLEJK
11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Al
Guns er kinda like Good Wemen...
Start carryin' on with more n one per interlude n ya got a problem....
Congrats on some viddles Marie's gonna make yer mouth smile with tho....

Buckshot
11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
................He called me and said he'd shot one, and what a fun drag it was. I asked, "What mould" and there was silence on the line :-)

Good work Al! How long has it been since you harvested one out of the local mountains? The local mountains are a rat mutha to hunt in as they're steep and very rugged. Full of mean gullies and chapparal so dense you almost have to walk on top of it in some places.

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
11-03-2006, 11:32 PM
The last deer outta these mountains was 1987, Rick. After I promoted to detective that year, there wasn't time enough to scout, plan, or hunt worth beans.

All right, you miscreants--I got the message about the redcoated bullets loud and clear. We tried again this morning, and a trio of quail hunters were entertaining themselves with shotguns near our hunt area, so my partner didn't have a shot oppurtunity. I got to wondering if DFG still had any tags left in this zone, since a hunter can buy a second tag after Sept. 2. THEY DID! I drove down to Los Alamitos and grabbed one, so NOW I can pursue a second deer WITH CASTINGS.

The 9.3 x 62 gets a reprieve.

JohnH
11-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Good luck with the reprieve Al. By the by, I shot two whotetails last year with .379 caliber 270 grain boolits at 1700 fps. Won't go into the details but I will say that the hits were obvious and unmistakeable with clearly defined results. Do your part and that funky Euro chambering will do it's fo' sur'. An interesting concept, an International chambering for a Continental hunt. Hmmmmm...........;)

waksupi
11-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Al, my faith is restored, but mirth continues,'

Really, those cast bullets will kill!

PatMarlin
11-04-2006, 02:24 AM
Wooo Hooo on your deer Al!

What mold did ya use?... :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
TOUGH CROWD, this lot.......

Come to think of it, if the 9.3 takes a deer--it would be an All-Metric Meat Making Deer Season this year.

Shuz
11-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Congratulations Al! Was the Nosler bullit heat treated, or right outta the box? Glad you gots a reprieve!--Shuz

44man
11-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I shot my second archery deer this morning. I shot at one last night in dim light and split a sapling that was in line with her chest that I failed to see. I started using a release last year on two of my bows and I have to look through a peep on the string. Can't see a darn thing through it. I think I am going back to fingers. I have shot over 225 deer with bows and never needed that stupid release.

Bass Ackward
11-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I shot my second archery deer this morning.

44man,

Who are you trying to kid? Looking at that picture, it's obvious to me that deer hung itself.

PatMarlin
11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Poor thing was high strung... couldn't take the pressure.. :mrgreen:

waksupi
11-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Pretty much perfect shot placement, 44man. congratulations!

44man
11-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Nice and cool, going to hang her until Monday. I have seen a lot of bucks but we have way too many deer so I am not even looking at bucks. They keep building more developments and pushing more deer here. They are smaller then normal and have little fat. I plan on 3 more and hope the neighbors get a bunch too.

dagamore
11-05-2006, 05:24 AM
44man,

Who are you trying to kid? Looking at that picture, it's obvious to me that deer hung itself.

First you hid the chair, and now you 'cleaned up' the suicide attempt, just so that it can get a good Catholic burial service, and staged a single “arrow” shot to fool the police, but they are on to you mister.

44man
11-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I could have caught a small button buck the other day. I was walking down the lane and came past a little bush. This deer was feeding on the other side and never heard me. He was no more then 4 feet from me and still didn't see me. I stood there until he turned his head and seen me. Talk about wide eyes!!!
One thing I have noticed from using revolvers instead of rifles in gun season is there is little difference from arrow hits. Bleeding is the same and most deer go the same distance after being hit, some less, some more. Meat damage is the same too, which is very little. A friend that uses a rifle just helped butcher an arrow killed deer and had to call me about it. He was surprised at how clean the meat was compared to the mess he gets. I told him it is one reason I use revolvers. Now he wants a crossbow, he lives in VA and can use one. Here in backwards WV you don't dare go in the field with one even if you are in a wheel chair.
I can't wait for gun season to try some different boolits.
I always hang my deer by the neck, don't know why and don't know if it would be easier to work the other way because I never tried it. Any comments on it either way? I don't have a gambrel. I have a larger rope hoist in the garage and no way to tie both back legs.
I never thought I would get so many funny comments! Next one I get I will drape across my fence and see what you can come up with. Thanks guys, I have had a lot of laughs.

PatMarlin
11-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I know this guy who keeps destroying his meat with over the counter 30'06 rounds, at 50 yard shots. I try to tell him what we do with cast, but he doesn't beleive me, and has other people telling him cast boolits won't work.. LOL!

We have a lot of does up here, and I'm just waiting til it gets colder, and harvest one on my property. No time to hunt this year.

HotGuns
11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
always hang my deer by the neck, don't know why and don't know if it would be easier to work the other way because I never tried it. Any comments on it either way?

I've done it head up,head and on the ground. I prefer head up and I think its the easiest way. That way, when you are guttin them, you can pretty much roll out the guts as a single unit and it dosent get hung up in the chest cavity. Plus, if you happen to get a bad shot that breakes gut or intestine, everything will drain down onto the ground as not collect anywhere else....

waksupi
11-05-2006, 01:37 PM
I always dress them where I shoot them. Don't need extra weight to drag around. Takes me maybe 5 minutes, and then don't have to dispose of the innards.
I like hanging them by the neck. They skin a lot nicer that way, if you fist off the hide. Generally no meat left on the hide at all, and rarely do I need to flesh a hide before salting, or graining it.
I believe the hanging from the hind end, is a holdover from hog butchering, as this seems to be the best way to deal with them, to me.

Bass Ackward
11-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I never thought I would get so many funny comments! Next one I get I will drape across my fence and see what you can come up with. Thanks guys, I have had a lot of laughs.

44man,

I went shooting yesterday and the wife decided to stay home which is unusual. She said she came out the shower and looked up through the sky light and here is this .................. *#$~@ bow hunter head. Turns out he had his tree stand up our light pole out in the back yard. She was worried the pole was going to break since he made it look like a Q-Tip sitting up there. Weight watchers definately wasn't in his vocabulary.

I live right in town by the way.

Youze guys are more fenatics than any other specie I think.

44man
11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Holy smokes, what kind of hunting is that? Be like hunting from my deck or sitting in a lawn chair and watching the field behind me. I could shoot piles of deer like that because they are used to activity around houses. Get back in the woods and they are even more wary then they are in the forest. I think it is because of dogs, I know I can't get away with the slightest movement or noise but I can be cutting grass or working in the yard and they just stand there.

Poohgyrr
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
::: to fool the police, but they are on to you mister.

Nahhh, I think it's a legit suicide. Our sources say this deer, after hearing about Deputy Al's deer, and then hearing 44man was on its' trail, decided to get it over with quick! Just jumped right up on the porch, took the hanging plant out of the piece of rope, and stuck its' head in!

[smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
11-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Nahhh, I think it's a legit suicide. Our sources say this deer, after hearing about Deputy Al's deer, and then hearing 44man was on its' trail, decided to get it over with quick! Just jumped right up on the porch, took the hanging plant out of the piece of rope, and stuck its' head in!

[smilie=1:

I agree, Poohgyrr. The deer figured that if a lame-a** like me who goes 19 years between tag-fills can get one this season, it might as well go out at a time and place of its own choosing.

Still in pursuit of #2.

AZ-Stew
11-06-2006, 07:01 PM
44 Man,

Cast or store-bought broadhead?

Regards,

Stew

PatMarlin
11-06-2006, 07:20 PM

[smilie=1:

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

OBXPilgrim
11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Good one Stew - I was thinking the same.

Here I thought I'd found the Holy Grail of silverstream knowledge & mold fill, and now it's looking like any other hunting board. ;)

I guess I can understand - I've got a 6.5x55 myself (sweet shooter (shortened M96)). Haven't seen much about it with cast on this board - twist too short? :confused:

Buckshot
11-06-2006, 08:21 PM
I guess I can understand - I've got a 6.5x55 myself (sweet shooter (shortened M96)). Haven't seen much about it with cast on this board - twist too short? :confused:

..............Do a search using the usual words like, 'Swede and 6.5'. You'll find some :-)

................Buckshot

44man
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Naw, OBX, still the boolit site but goes to show how easy a revolver can be when an arrow can do it.
I haven't found a good mould for broadheads though.

swheeler
11-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Congradulations Al! Those teeny-tiny little copper bullets work just fine. I too used one of Remington persuasion, one shot thru neck of a cow elk, she never even got out of her bed. Enjoy the venison!
Scot

slughammer
11-06-2006, 09:05 PM
... I don't have a gambrel. I have a larger rope hoist in the garage and no way to tie both back legs.

You can improvise a gambrel with a board and a piece of rope. Drill 2 holes in each end and string it through. Tie knots and then a loop in the middle for hooking to.

We always hang em from the hind legs, I think it's easier than working around the rope when dealing with skinning out the neck or caping a buck. Been a number of years since I did one the other way, so perhaps I disremember.

When using the gambrel I always skin around where the gambrel will go before we hang it up.

44man
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
My friend had on hanging in front of his garage a few years ago and we skinned down the neck so we could tie a ball in. We drove the skin off with his car. Looks funny with a deer hanging straight out, but it worked like a charm. Someday I am going to make a tripod with a winch at the bottom to wind it off.

MT Gianni
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
I have heard that the only reason to hang from the rear hocks is to keep the rump stretched to the fullest. If you are a butcher and selling 5/8" steaks this may allow you to get one more from each side for sale, increasing profit. Hanging by the front or neck allows the rump to compress slightly. If we cut our own there is no difference other than what you are used to. Gianni.