PDA

View Full Version : Lubing all those grooves in a 405 grain bullet

Walter Laich
01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I've cast 200 45-70 405 grain bullets out of a Lyman #457193 mold. I would have done more but I got cold--I know: wimp.

Now comes the sizing/lubing using the Lyman 4500. And a couple of questions: I know I'll have to adjust the depth from my .45 Colt bullets but I was most concerned about filling the 4 lube grooves.

Is this a problem? I think I'll have to run each one up and down a few times to get them all filled. FYI: using a hard lube with a heater

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

thanks
walt

p.s. please don't bother to tell me I need a differnt sizing die--got a .459 one all ready to go for these

waco
01-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Not a problem. Just adjust the die to where it needs to be. Give the press a good pump to keep the pressure up. You may or may not need to run them through twice. You should not have any problems.

Good to see another Walt!!!

Waco
WAlter COats

Walter Laich
01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks--as I'm not shooting a ton of these, at least not yet, I figured I could handle the mult passes in the machine if needed.

At our cowboy club we go through 60 pistol and either 60 pistol caliber rifle or 36 CD (Cody-Dixon) big bore rounds a match and two matches per week-end. So the 45-70 bullets are not a high volume item

walt

Doc Highwall
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
One thing you can do after you get time is establish how the rifle shoots with all the grooves filled, then try filling only three and see if it shoots better or worse.

Blammer
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
ditto on keeping the pressure up and you should only take one pass.

I also concur that trying it with only 3 filled may produce good results or better in some cases.

btroj
01-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I just sized about 350 to 400 405 plain base with 2 lube grooves for my 45-70. This was a group buy a couple years ago. Used about 3/4 of a stick of carnuba red in the Star. Thiese things ear lube. On the other hand, they shoot great with no leading.
On the Lyman plan on turning the crank after about every bullet. With a bit of heat and good pressure it should lube well in one pass.

Walter Laich
01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
I actually use an ALF (Automatic Lube Feeder) from Cabine Tree. I lets me put a bit more pressure on the lube column and I can go several bullets without having to screw it in again.

website is castingstuff.com

http://www.castingstuff.com/Alf1.jpg

btroj
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Looks like a Star type plunger assembly adapted to a Lyman. Interesting idea. I like it.