PDA

View Full Version : Whose boolits are these????

Steve E
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a few of these left and they aren't in the box they came in. They are for the 45/70 (.458) and are 300 grain. They shoot very good and was wondering if someone might identify them. I would like to get some more. Thanks for any help. And they are Commercial cast boolits by the way.

Steve E............

Jon K
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Saeco #015 300gr.....

Jon

Steve E
01-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Do you know of any Commercial Casters that might cast these boolits?

Steve E.........

Guesser
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Check "Cast Performance"

Doc Highwall
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Check the Bull Shop also he is a vendor here.

Steve E
01-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I got an E-Mail from Cast Performance and they said it was not their bullet.

Steve E..............

01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Not surprising since Cast Performance bullets are usually of an LBT style. Your bullet looks very similar to both Lyman and RCBS profiles with the tangent ogive, flat point. Any reason you think that particular bullet is magic? Ever try a gas checked version of that bullet? There are several commercial casters out there who produce similar bullets or at least close enough it's doubtful the gun would know the difference. Bullshop, Montana Bulletworks, Beartooth, Mt Baldy to name a few. The bullet almost looks like a custom of some type with a fat nose with minimal difference between max nose ogive diameter and drive band diameter. Magma commercial mold comes to mind. However, if it is, and it is very, very similar to a Saeco 015 as JonK posted, then Mt Baldy lists them. But, you may want to check the hardness of your bullet. I think Mt Baldy casts them as BP plain base type bullets cast to a softer BHN.

XWrench3
01-14-2011, 07:47 AM
at this point, they are yours. send them to me, and they will be mine! :kidding: i have no idea who made them. but who cares, just shoot them!:Fire::Fire::Fire::Fire:

Steve E
01-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the reply, there is nothing magic about them they happen to shoot very good so I wanted to get some more from what ever Company they came from.

XWrech3

I think I will keep what few I have left and I do care and I plan on shooting them as I see fit. Thanks for your interest.

Steve E.............

LAH
01-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Do you know of any Commercial Casters that might cast these boolits?

Steve E.........

I sold them through the old Dry Creek. Still have the mould & plenty of alloy but headed to the hospital Tuesday & will be down about 45 days. How soon you need them?

lah @ suddenlink dot net

Freightman
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I sold them through the old Dry Creek. Still have the mould & plenty of alloy but headed to the hospital Tuesday & will be down about 45 days. How soon you need them?

lah @ suddenlink dot net
Good luck in the hospital and may you be completely healed.

Steve E
01-14-2011, 08:08 PM
LAH

Hope everything works out well for you in the Horsepital. Just get back to me when you are up and running after the Horsepital. Take care.

Steve E..........

LAH
01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Things should be fine guys. Thanks for the thoughts. I had carpel tunnel work done to my right hand last year & it's time for the left hand now 'cause that's the mould hand. While I'm down I'm having a colostomy. I'm not having any problems but since I'm 60 I've put it off long enough.

Beau Cassidy
01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
You having a colostomy or colonoscopy. Two TOTALLY different things!

EDK
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM

One is bad...I done did that. The other is REALLY BAD....undignified as hell to boot! You gotta do what you gotta do, but some stuff really stretches the envelope.

Good luck with whichever it is.

trk
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I had my first colonoscopy a few years back.
Only disapointing thing was that the the Doc didn't give me a certificate that I wasn't full of it.

Good luck!

nanuk
01-15-2011, 08:53 PM
uh... yeah... if you're having a "Colostomy" but are not having any problems, I d suggest a change of doctors.

now... a "Colonoscopy" ain't as bad as many say it is. Just need to relax and talk/joke with the doctor as he/she is browsing around in there.

amazing technology! a camera small enough to... well, you know.

LAH
01-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Well now, guess I should check my spelling before posting. HEE HEE

Tuesday will be a colonoscopy. Hope the other {colostomy} never happens. This is just a screen as I've never had one.

xr650
01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Only disapointing thing was that the the Doc didn't give me a certificate that I wasn't full of it.

Good luck!
Well, ya know. If you didn't get the certificate.....

Good luck LAH

Steve E
01-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I finally figured it out with the help of my friend. I lived in Hawaii for several years and it was my buddy (Customs Agent) there that gave them to me. They came from Western Nevada bullet company which became http://xtremebullets.com/cast.htm. Now I know, thanks for all that offered suggestions.

Steve E..........

alamogunr
01-16-2011, 01:00 AM

Good luck!

I've had 5 or 6(who wants to keep track of that sort of thing?) of them over the past 20 years. The worst part is the anticipation of the night before. Now I'm down to every 5 years. At my age, I hope to have 3 or 4 more.

John
W.TN

Jon K
01-16-2011, 03:36 AM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0003-3.jpg

Saeco #015 300gr.....FYI.

Maybe someone local to you will cast some for you.

Jon

Steve E
01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
That sure looks like them. I guess that is the mold they use to cast them. If I don't buy some from them I guess I'll have to get the mold. Most of my molds are Lyman but this will bemy second Saeco mold. I'm beginning to like them a little better.

Steve E...........

LAH
01-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Can't speak for the lasted Redding/Saeco moulds but the one I purchased 'bout 2003 was great............Creeker

dudel
01-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Frontal lobotomy or Bottle in front of me. To very different things.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery LAH.

LAH
01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Well guys the colonoscopy is past & nothing of importance was found. The hand is wrapped up so casting bullets & operating a chainsaw is on hold for awhile. Not all is lost though, I can still process brass & load ammo.

Python
01-25-2011, 05:55 PM
If your not looking for that specific bullet profile but rather a 45/70 in general, take a look at velocitybullets.com. They have a 45/70 with only one lube band, I happen to like it. Shoots great and smooks less. If that's not the case then I agree, looks more like a Saeco than anything.