PDA

View Full Version : Lee 240Gr SWC TL question

Jeffery8mm
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
I have this mold [240gr SWC TL] and a 44 mag Virginian Dragoon. I want to hunt deer with the 44 mag next season so I have a year to prepare!! Gonna need it too.
Does anyone out there use the Lee 240gr TumbleLube SWC boolit to hunt deer with?? Everyone speaks of the Keith style boolit but never the Lee in hunting related post.
Shots would short, as in 40 yds or so as this is open sights.
I plan on using 8gr +- of unique. I do not wish to damage this revolver by using top end loads. I am sure the gun can handle it, but dont see the reason to "hop" up the loads!!
Thanks
Jeff

mallard1
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I am thinking you will have no trouble killing deer with the bullet and load you are talking about using.
I have killed 7 deer in the last 5 yrs using 240 grain swc and 9 grains of Unique. I haven't recovered one of these slugs. Complete penetration on all deer. I understand the Virginan is a good gun so you should have no problem. I limit my shots to 50 yrds as well.
Good Hunting.

01-22-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm carring the same bullet with different powder and believe it will be able to do all I would ask of it. Inny and a outy where I aim at thought the shoulder blades.
Be sure to report with pics.

Smoke-um if you got-um
01-22-2011, 03:03 AM
In the early 80's I used a Lee 240 SWC grooved and 8.5 Unique in a Ruger Super Blackhawk with excellent success. I shot them as cast w/o gas checks and finger lubed them with some RCBS green lube. I have no idea what was in the lube but had no issue with leading after my gunsmith opened up the forcing cone and cylinder throats to match. It was also a very accurate load with only moderate recoil. I used straight wheel weight lead, air cooled. Took 5 deer with that load, 1 took 2 shots. None went any farther than 50-60 yds after being hit. As long as you do your part I believe you will be pleased with the results. I also used 21 grains of 2400 with a 240 jacketed bullet but they did not work a bit better and recoil and muzzle blast was pretty fierce. Factory loads were just plain uncomfortable as well as not necessary for whitetail deer. Have fun, good luck,
Mike