PDA

View Full Version : Well it happen again

PacMan
01-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Received another LBT mold yesterday afternoon. Fired up the pot,washed the mold and went to casting. Had the mold to right temp. after a little dip in the pot and casting about 20 bullets. Perfect fill out and they fell from the mold upon opening. Had to be careful or they would drop on the floor.
Dang it is easy to cast good bullets with a LBT mold.
Dwight

RobS
01-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Veral does excellent work. The only thing I've ever heard was sometimes the sprue plates are a bit too tight.

targetshootr
01-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I've heard lots of good things about those. Several years ago I called with a question and the one thing I remember him saying is mold specs should be for a particular gun. Seems odd now.

felix
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
The truth be known, so should dies. ... felix

PacMan
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Rob i have heard some say the same thing about the sprue plates but have not really seen that to be a problem. One that i have i did back off the tension a tad but cannot really say that i saw a diffrence. What i have had to adjust to fit my casting style (if you can call it that) is the hold down finger.
Targetshooter i think that there somthing to be said about what you said but i do not have the experience to comment a lot of that matter. There are several things that may have to be considered other than bullet dia. which sizers can handle that part of it. Having said that Veral is making me a mold for .454 Casul to fit in a Rossi 92. To make sure that everything fits and functions right i have sent him a couple of dummy rounds that he will use to make sure that it will feed and fit in my gun.
I have a 160 and 180 grain FN that are both set up to feed thru my Marlin 1894. I also shoot them in my Blackhawk.Now are they a perfect fit for my BH? no they arent but they work just fine any way.
Thanks
Dwight

canyon-ghost
01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I have never used a mold that was easier to cast with, iron molds just don't compare. LBTs are just simply the best there is.

RobS
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Having said that Veral is making me a mold for .454 Casul to fit in a Rossi 92. To make sure that everything fits and functions right i have sent him a couple of dummy rounds that he will use to make sure that it will feed and fit in my gun.

I have a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull as well and if you are looking into a LFN design then .380 nose length is running at about max for reliable feeding. Longer and the ogive/front drive band will hit on the top of the chamber wall as the gun's bolt tries to push the round into the chamber. I had Veral make me a 280 grain LFN boolit and it shot well. I have since designed my own 300 grainer and 340 grainer over at Accurate Molds which are very close to a Veral LFN, but have a bit wider meplat at 75% vs 72% on Veral's LFN designs and there are a few other very small differences. I also have a more distinct front drive band where as Veral's is smooth and runs into the ogive.

I also use both the bullets in my SRH 454 casull with great accuracy. Now all I need is the PB gas check maker from PatMarlin and I'll be good to go.

NVScouter
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
The truth be known, so should dies. ... felix

It used to be common practice with target shooters and wildcatters.

Use the same reamer for the barrel and dies so its all perfect. Add a boolit that is 100% in spec and you have a winner.

stubshaft
01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I have been a fan of Verals for over 25 years and can also say that he makes an excellent product. Years ago I also ordered his book on boolit casting and it was very educational. I have/own moulds from virtually every manufacturer. But when I get a new gun/caliber I usually call him first.

Intel6
01-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I never believed it until I got my first LBT moulds. It was like a whole new experience. I talked to Veral about them one time on the phone and he said the bullets better drop out on thier own like that or something is wrong. He was adamant about it and it was obvious he was a man who was proud of his product.

Neal in AZ

badbob454
01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
what is the lbt a brass mold? i'm new to the forum? sounds like a man whom takes pride in his work .

Dale53
01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
LBT moulds are aluminum. I have a couple of them and they do merit praise. Veral does a nice job.

Dale53

PacMan
01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
They are Alum molds. Google LBT and you should find his web site.

RobS
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
LBT stands for Lead Bullets Technology

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/index.shtml

Veral Smith is the owner and he is a one man show from pushing the broom to designing and cutting molds.

Piedmont
01-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Part of the reason they drop out so easily (other than having smooth cavities) is that Veral uses shallow, round lube grooves.

dubber123
01-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Part of the reason they drop out so easily (other than having smooth cavities) is that Veral uses shallow, round lube grooves.

And he actually bores the holes in the centers of the block halves, something alot of more mass produced moulds don't do.

PacMan
01-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Yea that is one of the things i like about his designs.I have a couple of other 35 caliber molds that eat up a lot of lube that is wasted. I am pushing his 180gr FN to 1800fps using his blue soft lube in a Marlin with great accuracy to 200 yards ,have not shot it further, with no leading.

Dwight