01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I am looking for some ideas on how to build a shooting rest
either a front rest or a front and back rest
just something home made
Ideas [smilie=p:

HeavyMetal
01-11-2011, 11:42 PM
How complicated do you want to get?

The current issue of Home shop machinist has an article on building a rifle rest kinda cool.

MtGun44
01-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Padded top on a salvaged scissors jack screwed down to a 2x8 base. Stable, cheap
and easily height adjustable.

Bill

troy_mclure
01-12-2011, 12:10 AM
i like some old blue jeans leg, filled with wallnut hulls and sewn up.

white eagle
01-12-2011, 12:51 AM
not to complicated
basic stuff a guy would have around the house
should be able to remain outside exposed to the elements

Wayne Smith
01-12-2011, 08:36 AM
not to complicated
basic stuff a guy would have around the house
should be able to remain outside exposed to the elements

One PVC tube sliding into another one, some sort of adjustment, probably stainless or PVC, on a solid base and padded top.

bigdog454
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Empty shot bag filled with sand, walnut hulls, etc.

Kraschenbirn
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Depends what you've got to work with in the way of tools...and how complex you want to make it.

I'm a retired carpentry contractor so I've got what most might consider a fairly complete workshop...including a small welding booth...which means I could build about anything I might care to dream up but the rest I use most often is the 8"x8"x16" steel toolbox I use to carry ammo when I go to the range. A couple of shot bags filled with kitty litter on top the toolbox and another on the benchtop to support the toe of the stock is about as stable as I should ever need.

Last fall, I watched a guy haul a Caldwell "Lead Sled" and four or five 25# bags of lead shot (for ballast) across the parking lot and up the 10 steps to our elevated highpower firing line. He was "sighting in" a new "tactical" something-or-other .308 bolt gun using commercial "match" ammo. Not brag or anything, but my 200M groups, shot off my shot bag/toolbox rest, were every bit as tight (or tighter) than his...and I was shooting my iron-sighted .38-55 HighWall with cast boolits!!

Bill

C.O.B. #14

oldtoolsniper
01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
I will say this about any type of lead sled device. If you are going to be sighting in a firearm that pounds the dog snot out of you it is the way to go. I have a bolt action Mossberg slug gun that is brutal to shoot for sighting in unless you lead sled it or have some other form of recoil reduction. Casting slugs is fun while working up loads for it is not. She is an accurate firearm when I do my part. As for hunting you don't notice the shot it takes to harvest your deer and I don't use a bench for that.

They have their place.

Figuring out what you need in a bench is what is important.

1Shirt
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
AND----in addition, there is always, in addition wo what has been mentioned, the so called sissy bag for benching. A 25 lb. bag of shot between your shoulder and stock,(might have to put it on something depending on your front rest) works very well for the big heavy rifles. A 10 lb bag of shot also works very well for most everything other than the heavies. Have also used on the cheap, a sock full of sand. Just pick the size of sock that is appropriate, and pack sand tight. Just my opinion.
1Shirt!:coffee:

onondaga
01-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I second the scissor jack idea. I made one and love it, and it sure turns heads at the club. several members have made one since seeing mine. You could use a plywood base screwed on but I have a great metal dealer in my neighborhood and made a 1/2 inch thick 12 inch triangle with round head bolts for feet. I made a wood handle for the turning knob and sewed my own small leather bag for the top. I bought a super magnum rear bag because I shoot a lot of .458 Win Mag. The scissor jack rest works well with rifles that have long magazines also. Got the jack at Auto Zone less than $20.

PM me if you really need/want pictures of the rest.

Gary