PDA

View Full Version : 25-20 Which Winchester Model??

ohiochuck
01-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Looking at Winchester lever guns in 25-20. Which model possibly better 1892-model 53-model 65 assuming same condition? Considering the 25-20 using cast boolits for small game-plinking?
Thanks!
Jim

John Taylor
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
The 53 and 65 usually have a shorter magazine and a pistol grip. The 92 may have a heavier barrel ( except carbine). All three use the same action. Longer barrel will get a little more velocity but is more weight to pack around. I prefer the 92 with a long octagon barrel myself but then I'm not you. You have to decide what you want. I have a little Marlin 27 pump in 25-20 that I'm piecing back together.

Dale53
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
My 25/20 of choice is a Marlin 1894C. I much prefer the Marlin as it has a solid top, is drilled and tapped for scopes and is side eject. It also shoots VERY well with cast Lyman 257420 GC bullets.

Mine wears a low power scope and is the best rifle for edible small game that I have found in over sixty years of hunting.

The Winchesters are undeniably fine rifles (the 53 and 65 are "upscale" in the line).

FWIW
Dale53

Four Fingers of Death
01-12-2011, 06:17 AM
I wiuld have recommended a 92 Winchester as they are ok and cheap, but nowadays they seem to be as dear as marlins, which offer several advantages in a small game/varmint rifle, maily the ability to fit a scope. I have a 92 which was made in 1908. It is in f=good condition and has been re-barrelled at one stage (Aussie Sprinter brand I think). It is a rare one for here as it has a full length magazine, most have half length mags. Second hand Marlins sell for as much as new ones in this calibre. I have a Savage bolt rifle in 32/20 and have been on th elookout for a 25/20, but all of the ones I have seen have had bad barrels and as the action is actually an extension of the barrel, they cannot be repaired easily.

StrawHat
01-12-2011, 06:28 AM
...a 25/20, but all of the ones I have seen have had bad barrels and as the action is actually an extension of the barrel, they cannot be repaired easily...

Not sure who or what you have available, but could you reline a shot out bore? Liners are available for the 25-20 and the 32-20.

Four Fingers of Death
01-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Re-lining and re-boring are services that don't seem to be available here in Australia nowadays. If I looked hard enough, I could probably get it re-lined, but teh Savages sell for $150 or thereabouts, so don't warrant spending much money on.

JFE
01-12-2011, 08:50 AM
The Marlins are practical I agree, but the 92/53/65's are total class.

I picked up an old clunker 92 in 25/20 a while back for the purpose of building a small game rifle. The barrel was in poor condition and it was shortened but I only paid $200 for it and it does have some nice features that I like, oct barrel and button mag.

At some stage when I get a few other projects out of the way I'll have someone restore it into a nice little CB shooter. Might even add a pistol grip and it has to wear a Marbles tang sight.

01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
ohiochuck,

Which one? For me- Win 92, 53 or 65. My opinion, but then I'm a Win type. What's the cheapest 25-20 brand or type out there?.... that's a different question.

One thing for certain I've discovered about the small, sub-caliber shooters is that bore condition is EVERYTHING. That 25 cal for cast shooting is not very forgiving of bore condition. That brings back the $ issue. A 92,53 or 65 is going to be the more expensive option- no question. But any one of those in top condition with an excellent bore will shoot cast bullets well, maintain value and likely gain in value over time.

Char-Gar
01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
From a shooting/accuracy standpoint, there is no difference between the 92 and the other Winchester levergun models in 25-20.

georgewxxx
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree with Charger on accuracy. My 92 25-20 will shoot better than my Winchester model 43 with peep sights for some reason. Both have excellent bores. Had a Remington pump with a good bore too that wasn't worth beans with cast. I got rid of that one fast. Your biggest hangup will be mould selection.

If you get one a lever gun, don't be scared of trying pointed or round nosed boolits. It'll make your gun into a two shot outfit but still good enought for plinking and small game shooting where you rarely get more than one or two shots off at running game.

TxBaylea
01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I agree with Charger on accuracy. My 92 25-20 will shoot better than my Winchester model 43 with peep sights for some reason. Both have excellent bores. Had a Remington pump with a good bore too that wasn't worth beans with cast. I got rid of that one fast. Your biggest hangup will be mould selection.

If you get one a lever gun, don't be scared of trying pointed or round nosed boolits. It'll make your gun into a two shot outfit but still good enought for plinking and small game shooting where you rarely get more than one or two shots off at running game.

I now own Winchester 92's, 65 and a Browning 65. Great guns. I had owned a Win 43 in 218 Bee. Not a very strong action and develops excessive headspace quickly. The bolt locks up by the base of the bolt handle in the slot of the action. Be very careful when buying one today.

Vernon

georgewxxx
01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Vernon, I have two 43's both Deluxe models. A .218 Bee & that 25/20. They're noting but a modified rim fire actions. I've never shot anything but cast in either and found a long time ago that the middle of the road loads are more accurate anyway. Rainbow? Sure but who cares, if I wanted a hot rod that's what I would have bought in the first place.