PDA

View Full Version : JPW - active ingredients

brnomauser
01-10-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm wanting to make some 45/45/10 for my (yet to cast) first boolits. However, I live in the UK and can't find any JPW for sale here. What substitutes could I use and what ingredients am I looking for in them?

SkookumJeff
01-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Until someone gives you a better answer, I'd suggest finding a comparable furniture paste wax. There's probably not that much difference between brands IMHO.

SkookumJeff

Butch B
01-10-2011, 07:54 AM
JPW is floor wax not furniture wax. There is discussion in the lube section about replacements for the JPW maybe you could find it.

GH

kelbro
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Trewax clear paste wax works.

randyrat
01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm wanting to make some 45/45/10 for my (yet to cast) first boolits. However, I live in the UK and can't find any JPW for sale here. What substitutes could I use and what ingredients am I looking for in them?
You are looking for active ingredients= Carnauba wax and Alox or LLA + mineral spirits (to thin the Alox)
I sell Carnauba wax flakes, a pound would do about 10,000 bullets or more. I've never measured it. Shipping to the UK is $11.45 I think still, limited to 2 lbs in a USPS envelope +cost of wax flakes ($8.75/lb). You can add anything to carnauba wax to soften it and make it stick, such as, Lanolin, Alox,, and many others.
Other sources= You may fine a bunch of car paint polishes or floor polishes that have Carnauba wax in them. Just don't use the abrasive ones. I could even send a bottle of LLA with your order. I have a few un-opened.

brnomauser
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
You are looking for active ingredients= Carnauba wax and Alox or LLA + mineral spirits (to thin the Alox)
I sell Carnauba wax flakes, a pound would do about 10,000 bullets or more. I've never measured it. Shipping to the UK is $11.45 I think still, limited to 2 lbs in a USPS envelope +cost of wax flakes ($8.75/lb). You can add anything to carnauba wax to soften it and make it stick, such as, Lanolin, Alox,, and many others.
Other sources= You may fine a bunch of car paint polishes or floor polishes that have Carnauba wax in them. Just don't use the abrasive ones. I could even send a bottle of LLA with your order. I have a few un-opened.

Thanks a lot randy. Should be able find something with Carnauba or even get some pure stuff. If I run into problems I'll grab some off you though thanks for the offer. I've got a bottle of Alox that came with my lee sizer

Edit - actually you're prices are good, might take you up on that when I've got a little more surplus cash ;)

C.F.Plinker
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
JPW is about 80% mineral spirits, 12.5% parraffin, and 7.5% carnuba wax according to the MSDS. Using Recluse's method, if you boil off the mineral spirits what you have left is about 5/8s parraffin and 3/8s carnuba wax. I would think that a starting point would be to melt 2.5 oz of parraffin, add 1.5 oz carnuba wax, mix in a 4 oz bottle of LLA and thin with an ounce or so of odorless mineral spirits. Does this sound about right?

x101airborne
01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Other sources= You may fine a bunch of car paint polishes or floor polishes that have Carnauba wax in them. Just don't use the abrasive ones.

:hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack:

So, would / could that be used to lap a rusty mauser barrel?

montana_charlie
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
:hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack:

So, would / could that be used to lap a rusty mauser barrel?
A 'gentle' bore lapping compound which resembles JP paste is made using equal parts of Bon Ami scouring powder, JPW, and a light oil (I use Ballistol).

CM