PDA

View Full Version : Is this good?

parrott1969
01-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I have a old jug of Bullseye powder and it has a green color to it. Is this still good? The powder does not smell rancid and there is no rust inside the metal can. I have used a little of it without incident but the color does concern me. Any advice? [smilie=p:

Jim
01-09-2011, 10:43 PM
It's your powder and not my place to tell you what to do. If it was mine, I wouldn't take the chance on blowin' a gun and my hand. I'd toss it. My hand is worth more than a can of powder.

Buckshot
01-09-2011, 11:48 PM
............If there are no sour smell, and pouring it out onto say, a paper plate and there's no dustiness (powder disintregation) it should be just fine. Heat is the main killer of smokless powder and if it hasn't experienced any elevated temps, and was kept in an airtight container it can last almost forever. A member here, Gopher Slayer has, and reloads from a 8lb jug of (IIRC) Hercules Lightening that was made in the '30's.

...........Buckshot

SkookumJeff
01-10-2011, 01:24 AM
As I understand it, when smokeless powder goes bad it gives off a very bad smell.

I'd contact Alliant and ask them about it.

SkookumJeff

Harter66
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
"They" tell me it will smell like chicken manure. I'm loading from 1968-69 Red Dot and Unique, I've had to date no issues with either.

Dorf
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
IIRC, the can of Bullseye that I bought back in the early '60s had a slightly gray/green "cast" to it. However having said that, I just checked a more recent can and the stuff was a more uniform gray in color. Hope this is of some help. Stan

Tom W.
01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Working as I do at a chicken processing plant, the smell of chicken manure, depending upon which way the wind is blowing, will greet me sometimes several miles from the plant. Almost as bad as the local paper mill..

That said, I still have a pound and a half of Bullseye that I got from a fellow who is long deceased. It is in a yellow painted round can, I dunno how much it holds. Stenciled on the can is "Bullseye Lot 463" It also has a slight grey/ greenish cast to it.

I've had it for many years and it still fuels my 45 acp rounds, as well as some 45 Colt rounds.

winelover
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
IIRC, degrading smokeless powder is suppose to have a strong vinegar smell.

Winelover