PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a gold bead front sight for your defense handguns?

Dannix
01-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Anyone using a gold bead front sight for your defense handguns? Just curious.
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=39

JJC
01-09-2011, 03:07 AM
Don't have any that came that way. I prefer night sights on mine. If I wake up I like to see them glowing for location of the pistol. Comforting in a big truck when you hear something or are not in the best area.

geargnasher
01-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Plus one on the Tritium, works in daylight too. Never been a fan of gold or brass beads for front sights on anything, but that's just my preference.

Gear

MtGun44
01-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Green fiber optic on my primary. Easy to find and see in poor light.

Bill

imashooter2
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Following the trend, I put FO on all my action pistol toys. Having shot them for a few years, I'm now moving back to gold bead fronts. While FO is very visible, I don't like the flare I get occasionally when trying for a precise sight picture.

For SD, I carry a J frame and it wears the black ramp that came from the factory.

runfiverun
01-09-2011, 01:45 PM
green fiber here too.
i tried the brass bead on a bunch of rifles, but they seem to turn black as soon as they hit a shadow.
i will be painting a bunch of sights here soon with the glow paint,
made by bright sights.

Frank
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Geargnasher:
Plus one on the Tritium, works in daylight too. Never been a fan of gold or brass beads for front sights on anything, but that's just my preference.

I was told by an engineer that those who use tritium sights are exposed to excessive gamma radiation but that it is not publicized.

deltaenterprizes
01-09-2011, 02:02 PM
You are exposed to radiation every time you go outside in the sunlight!

Frank
01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
When I sleep next to the woman I am exposed to her radiation. :mrgreen:

82nd airborne
01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Geargnasher:
I was told by an engineer that those who use tritium sights are exposed to excessive gamma radiation but that it is not publicized.

I tested this in a chemistry class a couple years ago, and it is far less exposure than being near a smoke detector, and several other common items.

82nd airborne
01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
After having them, I tritium sights are a must on all my handguns, with the exception of some older revolvers and such that I will never use as a defensive weapon, hopefully.

Frank
01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
82nd airborne:
I tested this in a chemistry class a couple years ago, and it is far less exposure than being near a smoke detector
That's funny that you say that because he did in fact single out smoke detectors as being hazardous, but most people don't know about it.

HeavyMetal
01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm going to go in the other direction on this subject.

Most of my guns wear plain black front sights, a few have dot sights on them. My old 1911 match gun has a Red Millett on it mostly because it was free at the time.

"Gadgets" like Laser's and Tritium sights are just that in my opinion: gadgets.

They look nice, they are certainly impressive when looked at in a dark room.

However if it is dark enough that you cannot see your sights 2 foot in front of your face how are you going to be able to identify your target before you drop the hammer?

The answer is you can't!

Rule number one: never point a gun at something you do not intend to destroy!

In my opinion night sights allow you to violate that rule much to easily. Plus add the risk of actually shooting the wrong or miss indentified target.

Save your money buy a real nice flashlight with a momentary switch and go practise with both it and your gun in the dark.

This can be, if you'll pardon the pun, an enlightening experience!

As for Laser's? A tool of intimidation plain and simple! In use they are good for one shot then you lose them in the recoil.

In an entry weapon they have thier place, same as a shotgun, but only as a deterrent. If rounds start flying better tactic's and good marksmenship always stand higher than gadgets.

Jeff Cooper once did an article on a couple custom self defense guns in the old G&A.

Of the three guns one was a revolver that had an electric diode in the front sight among other "options".

Mr. Cooper's take on this beauty? ( and it was a beautiful gun) The owner suffered from:
"Terminal Gagetitus" !

Get a flashlight and go practise! Because in the end there is no substitute for marksmenship!

DIRT Farmer
01-09-2011, 06:59 PM
There is no way for me to see the sights on a handgun without my glasses, even with a good light, Twenty feet away I can see fine. My solution is to pratice shooting without my vision glasses, just clear lense safty glasses. I did this when working LE as a team member who cannot see and shoot is a libility. The last time I qualified there was four points between my score with and with out glasses. The answer is to pratice, and at defencive ranges, sights should not matter.

C1PNR
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
For a defense handgun that I expect to use primarily at night, like the 1076 on my bedside table, I want a tritium Front Sight Only. Put the dot on the threatening, non responsive shadow and press.

Otherwise, I like the red insert on most of my revolvers, some of which may be pressed into defensive use in the event of "home invasion" situations, which we can all recognize as a less likely circumstance.

Otherwise, my typical carry is outfitted with pretty "plain jane" black front and rear sights, although I may occasionally carry one with a white outline rear sight.

As an aside, I've never felt undergunned with a revolver, whether my 3" Bulldog, 4" 25-5;), or even the 2" "Dick" special.

a.squibload
01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
...those who use tritium sights are exposed to excessive gamma radiation...

Silly humans, gamma rays are not that bad!

Oops, uh, you will ignore this post.

PS: I wouldn't point until the target is ID'd, at which point tritium sights are quick to acquire.

OK, they might be a crutch but they're so pretty!

winelover
01-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm going to go in the other direction on this subject.

Most of my guns wear plain black front sights, a few have dot sights on them. My old 1911 match gun has a Red Millett on it mostly because it was free at the time.

"Gadgets" like Laser's and Tritium sights are just that in my opinion: gadgets.

They look nice, they are certainly impressive when looked at in a dark room.

However if it is dark enough that you cannot see your sights 2 foot in front of your face how are you going to be able to identify your target before you drop the hammer?

The answer is you can't!

Rule number one: never point a gun at something you do not intend to destroy!

In my opinion night sights allow you to violate that rule much to easily. Plus add the risk of actually shooting the wrong or miss indentified target.

Save your money buy a real nice flashlight with a momentary switch and go practise with both it and your gun in the dark.

This can be, if you'll pardon the pun, an enlightening experience!

As for Laser's? A tool of intimidation plain and simple! In use they are good for one shot then you lose them in the recoil.

In an entry weapon they have thier place, same as a shotgun, but only as a deterrent. If rounds start flying better tactic's and good marksmenship always stand higher than gadgets.

Jeff Cooper once did an article on a couple custom self defense guns in the old G&A.

Of the three guns one was a revolver that had an electric diode in the front sight among other "options".

Mr. Cooper's take on this beauty? ( and it was a beautiful gun) The owner suffered from:
"Terminal Gagetitus" !

Get a flashlight and go practise! Because in the end there is no substitute for marksmenship!

Well I can tell you have no experience with Crimson Trace Laser grips. They are there if you CHOOSE to use them. INTIMIDATION factor or NOT! They don't interfer with your regular sights. Whatever, that may be. They excel in gun retention, as you don't have to extend your arms to attain a sight picture. You can literately shoot from the hip. They have the momentary switch you seen to prefer, which is manipulated by your shooting hand and doesn't have to be constantly on. As far as losing them after one shot, due to recoil, is pure nonsense. From the hip, at 7 yrds, I can keep all five shots out of my J-Frame in a 3" target; as fast as I can pull the trigger. Same goes for my Browning HP.
Your advise on a GOOD flashlight has merit but after all, isn't that also one of those GADGETS that you so despise? Sure, you must identify your target but there is very few conditions that lack some kind of ambient light.
BTW, Jeff Cooper went the way of the DINOSAUR!

Winelover

Charlie Two Tracks
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I have the Crimson Trace Ruger grips on my SP-101. I got them for my wife and after I used them, I realized just how valuable they are. If someone was shooting at me, I would not be standing straight, shoulders square, feet in proper position and have both hands in the correct grip. I'D BE DIVING FOR COVER! Where that little red dot is....... that's where the boolit hits. Over your shoulder, under your knee, on your back, where ever and how ever you aim, the boolit hits where the dot is. Pretty darn handy.

82nd airborne
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I must respectfully disagree with your ideology that tritium sights are just a gadget. Under that stressfull of a situation, a good sight that catches your eye is pretty important. I also use a surefire light on my defense handgun to provide illumination for positive ID. Even in good light conditions, the tritium sights work no less than a black sight, except they work great in low light. Just because its dark enough that you cant see your sights rapidly, doesnt mean that you cant tell the shape of the guy in the door has a gun. They are not any heavier than standard sights, and have no disadvantages compared to a traditional sight. They are invaluable to me. On a defensive rifle, A red dot makes target aquisition ALOT faster, especially when your mind is spinning. I have used an M4 with and without, and I would say it is another gadget that improves my chances of living. I think some of these little inventions are great combat force multipliers.

waksupi
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
In low light, instinct kicks in, and I don't consider sights all important.
Over the years, some of us have shot our traditional bows in the dark, and were able to sometimes shoot better groups than in the light. We also tried it rapid fire with pistols at about 10 yards, and had surprisingly good results. If you have a safe place for night shooting, try it out sometime. Zen!

Dannix
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I do wonder how many of you actually read the article though.

The thought is that if there's enough light to ID the target, a gold bead will still jump out, and the point where the gold bead is ineffective in making the front sight jump out, and tritium is effective, well it's so dark you can't tell if it's an intruder or friend. Kind of makes sense to me. Not discounting tritium, and particularly not discounting lasers. Just seems like it's a great way to make the front sight pop out until the point where a flashlight is needed.

HeavyMetal, I recall one of the retired SAS guys stating they just aimed based on their gun-mounted "torch". Apparently though they also practiced daily, and took turns shooting targets off each other's shoulders when they took turns playing the part of a hostage, so perhaps their techniques aren't the best to emulate for joe schmoe, but if a "torch" works then a laser should too, yeah?

I guess one major aspect is one of environment. If you're in the sticks, it can get very dark indeed and a flashlight is really a must, while in an urban environment it can be hard to find a spot dark enough to not be able to ID intent.

Down South
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
+1 on the Crimson Trace Laser grips. I have them on my pocket carry J-Frame which is in my pocket now. I have tritium sights on three of my other carry pistols. It's strange that they are all LE trade in's and the sights came with them since they are so bad to use.

firefly1957
01-11-2011, 08:08 PM
I think we need to practice in the dark to insure we can hit I have not done so in years I is time again.
My 1911 has a gold colored front sight but it is not a bead and if it is dark it looks black just like any unlighted sight. The previous owner Nickel and gold plated the pistol AKA browning high power. My grandfather called it a pimp gun maybe, but at 98 years it still shoots good.

imashooter2
01-11-2011, 10:25 PM
The thought is that if there's enough light to ID the target, a gold bead will still jump out, and the point where the gold bead is ineffective in making the front sight jump out, and tritium is effective, well it's so dark you can't tell if it's an intruder or friend. Kind of makes sense to me.

I submit that there are plenty of scenarios where it will be crystal clear that the blob in front of the tritium is a goblin and not a friend. And in those cases where it isn't clear, there isn't anything preventing you from not shooting until it is.

skeettx
01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
OK fellas,
Lets set the record straight, Tritium is an isotope of Hydrogen and decays by emitting Beta Particles and not a gamma emission.
And unless you get the tritium INSIDE your body, you are ok, it in not an external hazard only an internal hazard.
Y'all agree??
Mike

troy_mclure
01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
the biggest help with tritium sights is for use with a flashlight.

unless you are shining a hand light from behind your gun, you cant see the sights. the tritium allows you to see the sights and aim.

KCSO
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
In 1982I got a Smith M13 snubbie and it had a gold bead installed. I shot it and liked it so much i put one on my M10 snubbbie. I later put one on a Bisley 4 3/4" Beretta and it worked well there too. Since my 1911's all have expensive custom sights I haven't changed them but my HP has the Ashley express sight which is pretty much samo samo.