PDA

View Full Version : Went to the range

steve in kc
01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Been a while since i got to go. Tried loads from two new molds. First was my 452-200-RNFP. Started out with 3.5gr red dot. Out of 50 rounds i had 5 FTE's. I used a dipper to load these and i'm thinking those fte's were due to a less than full dipper. It's a pretty light load (on purpose for plinking) and was fun to shoot. Might bump up incrementally to 4gr to see if acuracy improved.

Shot up a few hundred 452-230-1R's ive had for a while. Put a big ragged hole in the target at 7 and 15yards. Had the pistol range to myself so the master let me go fast :)

Re-zero'd my marlin 336 in 30-30 with factory 150gr soft nose. Got 3 rounds of my new C309-150-F's then had a nasty jam with rounds coming out of the mag. Had to leave anyway and got it unjammed once i got home. The new loads were just low and left at 50 but were touching :) will post pucs tomorrow.

JJC
01-09-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't miss the public ranges and the RO's. Get out to the gun club on an off day and have 500 acres to yourself.

HighHook
01-09-2011, 02:50 AM
:smile:Nice going on the rnfp's. I like to shoot steel swingers with those and 5gr of Bullseye

:lovebooli

Walter Laich
01-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm using the Lee 452 200 gr RNFP too.
Out of my Ruger I'm using 4.5 Red Dot
Out of my Marliln: 5.5 Red Dot.
These are Cowboy loads.

walt

EDK
01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm south of Saint Louie...and like froze my *** shooting Saturday afternoon. At least it was revolvers so I didn't have to chase brass in the snow. It ain't exactly a heat wave today and Monday/Tuesday sound bad with wintry mix/snow. Did I say that I really hate Winter!

Easy for me to say, but you need to save and get a powder measure of some sort. You'll have more consistent results. I've had little luck with the dippers...end up dipping and weighting for the rifle calibers loaded on the Rock Chucker. I've got DILLON 550Bs set up for large primer..44 right now...and small primer...357/38....90%+ of my shooting is pistols. I'm too d*** old to spend the time with a single stage press when I could be shooting or casting! Save your money for a progressive press too...saves your time and you can do a few things for SWMBO to keep her off your back when you do reload. Everyone will chime in and agree with me.

Go to the GRAFS web site and see what they have...they also have PROMO, RED DOT's clone, for about $90 per 8 pound keg. (The sister in law lives west of there and the wife usually stops there WITH A LIST when she goes to visit.) Check eBay, etc for a used measure. There are a lot of guns and loading equipment for sale if you look around. ( I hit three pawn/gun shops on Friday. Found a 44 Magnum VAQUERO with real stag grips for $450; a 336 TEXAN FOR $325; and a 10/22 with a TRU-GLO red dot sight for $220. Bargains abound in a bad economy.)

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

steve in kc
01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm south of Saint Louie...and like froze my *** shooting Saturday afternoon. At least it was revolvers so I didn't have to chase brass in the snow. It ain't exactly a heat wave today and Monday/Tuesday sound bad with wintry mix/snow. Did I say that I really hate Winter!

Easy for me to say, but you need to save and get a powder measure of some sort. You'll have more consistent results. I've had little luck with the dippers...end up dipping and weighting for the rifle calibers loaded on the Rock Chucker. I've got DILLON 550Bs set up for large primer..44 right now...and small primer...357/38....90%+ of my shooting is pistols. I'm too d*** old to spend the time with a single stage press when I could be shooting or casting! Save your money for a progressive press too...saves your time and you can do a few things for SWMBO to keep her off your back when you do reload. Everyone will chime in and agree with me.

Go to the GRAFS web site and see what they have...they also have PROMO, RED DOT's clone, for about $90 per 8 pound keg. (The sister in law lives west of there and the wife usually stops there WITH A LIST when she goes to visit.) Check eBay, etc for a used measure. There are a lot of guns and loading equipment for sale if you look around. ( I hit three pawn/gun shops on Friday. Found a 44 Magnum VAQUERO with real stag grips for $450; a 336 TEXAN FOR $325; and a 10/22 with a TRU-GLO red dot sight for $220. Bargains abound in a bad economy.)

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

I have a powder measure and scale. My scale's broken so unless I use a dipper, it ain't gonna happen. They are surprisingly accurate though; it just depends on the dippee being consistent.

steve in kc
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
OK, here's the pic's...

First is the 452-200-RNFP over 3.5grains of dipped RED DOT seated just past the crimp groove, no crimp. I might try a ever so slight crimp or moving up .2 grains at a time to see if accuracy improves. I want to keep this a light shooter/plinker for the kids and my wife. These are at 15 yards.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/steveinkc1974/3842ff9c.jpg

Next, is my standard load. 452-230-1R over 4.5gr metered RED DOT (loaded before my scale broke). Ragged holes get boring after 100 rounds :) 15 yards again.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/steveinkc1974/d44c0deb.jpg

I was feeling up to a challenge so I took the target down to 25yds. Took my time on these, but I'm pretty happy with the results!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/steveinkc1974/d95b203a.jpg

Next is 5 rounds of factory Winchester CX2 in 30-30, 150gr soft nose. I rezero'd before shooting my new cast loads. These are at 50yds.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/steveinkc1974/11f5430b.jpg

Last 3 shots of the day were from my new C309-150-F mold. These were loaded over 30.2gr of H4895, seated to the crimp groove with a light crimp. Recoil was just slightly less than the factory stuff. Not too bad until I got a bad jam, still not sure why.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/steveinkc1974/ca537fd3.jpg