PDA

View Full Version : Lube/Size bevel base boolits

RDub
01-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Hello

Ok, I gotta ask..
I've been sizing flat based cast boolits in a Lyman 450 sizer for years but, how do they size and lube these bevel based boolits in a sizer without making a mess?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/rafswede/38Castbulletjpg.jpg

01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
One member came up with the idea of cutting a piece of styrofoam (or whatever it is) from meat packaging and setting it in the die.

Gelandangan
01-09-2011, 06:36 AM
A piece of plastic ring can be punched out to seat the bevel base.

Walter Laich
01-09-2011, 09:02 AM
I lube BB 45 Colt bullets--the Lee SWC ones out of a 6 gang mold.
I get a little lube around the bevel--it gets filled like a mini-lube groove. But that's about it.
Just put them in the box with the rest, doesn't seem to be a problem.
BTW I'm using a Lyman 450 with a heater for hard lube.
Also am using ALF (auto lube feeder) that cuts down on working the wrench on the top (it's about half way down the page)

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

walt

fryboy
01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
IMHO this ( besides the speed of lubing ) is where a star excels at , the foam/gasket thing can help as would a custom machined plunger rod , myself i just got in the habit of having a folded paper towel on my leg and rubbing clean the bottom of the boolit , our summers can be rather hot and i try to limit any chance of powder contamination , with a bevel i wipe flat and then on edge , flat bottoms of course i just wipe flat , a couple quick twist and all done

RDub
01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Ok then.. Thanks for the ideas..:)
I'll see what I can come up with.

OLPDon
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Try placing a gas cap on the lower ram platform, it should take up the bevel space without crimping to the bevel base of the boolit. You may have to adjust the hight of the gas cap.
Don

Cherokee
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Depends on how much bevel there is - slight bevel is not a problem in the Lyman, hardly a trace of lube with the ones I have. I would guess a heavy bevel would pick up enough lube that you would want to remove it, which then becomes a pain.

prs
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
I must not be think'n straight. My Lyman 450 is adjustable so the lube could be kept away from areas not needing lube. You could also block errant lube holes with chilled 7 1/2 shot.

prs

dragonfire
01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
I just cut a muzzleloading sabot down to size for my 45 cal ,works pretty good for me