PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Job and impromtue range time.

jh45gun
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Well took the Marlin 80 DL out to my friend who I bought it from, who did a trigger job for me. He honed the trigger/sear surface to take off a bur and cut one coil off the trigger spring and put it back to the same length. Trigger went from a 6# trigger with a slight bit of drag to a 2.5# trigger that is right there no slack just a nice crisp light trigger. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I bore sighted the gun with the Tasco 10x40x and we set up a cardboard box at 25 yards. With standard plain Jane 22 ammo (Thunderbolt and Federal Hollow Point Bulk) showed a lot of promise. Gonna take some tweaking to learn the scope. The AO is off So I think some tape over the numbers and marking my own range settings is in order. I need to bench it to get it seriously dialed in as I shot using my truck door for a rest which is not very stable but the best I could do today just to get it sighted in close and get a idea what it would do. I was shooting to the right a half inch when I quit but I had a tight cluster there so I think it really shows promise of a tack driver considering the makeshift unstable rest. I think once I bench it and do some tweaking it is going to be a great set up. I hate to shoot in cold weather and at 10 degrees that did not make things comfortable either. Rounds fed from the clip like butter. These Marlin 80's are darn nice guns.

OBXPilgrim
01-09-2011, 08:23 PM
How'd it shoot with the peep sight?

jh45gun
01-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Peep sight was gone when I bought it from my friend. He bought it at a gun show so I suspect that vendor took off the sight and sold it as them sights bring pretty good money up to a hundred bucks I have heard.

LEADLUBBER
01-12-2011, 05:16 PM
First of all, the only kind of bulk ammo that is worth having is

Federal Automatch AM22 bulk pack that is $15 at Wal Mart, others....

Try some of these specific types of ammo:

Federal 510- Buy the bricks only, not bulk look alike box- $19-$22

Federal AUTOMATCH bulk pack of 325 only- $15

CCI Blazer Brick only, not bulk pack..... $21-$24 usually

CCI Standard Velocity, Brick only, not the 100 round packs- Dicks sporting goods has these for $25 a brick, Very good ammo usually for most guns

Wolf Match Target for $45-$50 a brick usually at the right price, usually very good....

Eley black box, Target rifle, Rifle match;
RWS R25, R50;
Lapua Midas

All very expensive but usually squeeze the last NTH degree of accuracy out of a good gun and shooter....

The bullets with lube on them tend to be more consistent without barrel cleaning than the copper plated ones in my experience....

jh45gun
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I never found a gun yet that the Wolf did not shoot good in. I plan on shooting lots of different ammo when it gets warm out to see what the gun likes> I know every 22 is different in its likes and dislikes.

Jon K
01-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Try the Aguila Target(Blue box)......shoots good in most everything I've tried it in.

Jon

jh45gun
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Try the Aguila Target(Blue box)......shoots good in most everything I've tried it in.

Jon

I have never seen that locally around here.

LEADLUBBER
01-19-2011, 02:01 AM
I never found a gun yet that the Wolf did not shoot good in. I plan on shooting lots of different ammo when it gets warm out to see what the gun likes> I know every 22 is different in its likes and dislikes.

Yep, I have heard that also....

apparently, I have a really crappy lot of it that I just bought.....

I hope my next lot is MUCH better

LEADLUBBER
01-19-2011, 02:02 AM

Jon

I haven't ever seen that kind of Aguila Target.....

It is hard to find Aguila anything here

Jon K
01-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt $3.01/box + shipping.

jh45gun
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Yep, I have heard that also....

apparently, I have a really crappy lot of it that I just bought.....

I hope my next lot is MUCH better

Well maybe your gun just does not like it. Note the SK jagd ammo is the same company that makes the Wolf Ammo so if your gun does not care for the Wolf ammo it may not like this sister brand either.

ohiochuck
03-01-2011, 11:29 PM
jh45gun - I have this same rifle that I purchased new in the early 1960s when I was 14. My parents signed the order form from General Merchandise Co. and paid for it with hard earned lawn mowing money. It was delivered to my home via US mail, That was back when the government trusted its citizens. With a Leupold scope I recently discovered it really liked the old style Winchester Dynapoint bullets- blue box I believe.

jh45gun
03-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Will have to check that out I am going to try every ammo I can get locally and see what it likes and does not like. I got to get used to that scope anyway so that is good excuse to try lots of ammo and do a lot of shooting. I got to have my friend do a trigger job on the Sears Model 42 I just picked up also as that trigger is really stiff but I don't think this gun was hardly ever shot. This model is a Marlin 80 that was made for Sears by Marlin.