PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Stringing

7br
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I took the 10" .22 hornet contender to the range on Friday. I had a 100yard group wthat was 1" wide, but had 5" of vertically stringing. Load was 10.3gr of Lil Gun with the rcbs 55gr bullet.

Assuming the problem was the load and not operator error, Recommendations on going up or down on load to get the velocities to settle out.

Side note: 3.7gr of tite group and a 225415 groupd 4 of 5 in 1.5in with a called missed shot at 2" high and to the right.

Bullshop
10-30-2006, 12:27 PM
With verticle stringing the first thing I try is a hotter primer.
BIC/BS

David R
10-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Inconsistant ignition. I agree with Mr. Bullshop. Headspaces on the rim right?

David

7br
10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Headspaces on the rim right?
David

I guess that would be a matter of interpretation. This would be twice fired brass that was only neck sized.

Bullets are seated way out, but really aren't engraving.

I am using Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers. I do have some small pistol primers. I used to have some cci small rifle primers.

Bass Ackward
10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
The dreaded .... leading or lube failure can also cause stringing.

In some cases, a primer can be too forceful and actually start the bullet moving before the powder ignites. Since you are NOT seated into the lands to prevent this and you are running a ball which is fairly slow for the case, a cooler primer may just get you better ignition. And a cooler primer can actually stop leading if the conditions are right too.

Life isn't always simple, but at least this makes it fun. :grin:

Pepe Ray
10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
An artical in Handloader a few years ago by Ross Seifried (Sp), claimed that he always had trouble getting desired accuracy from .22 Hornet until he switched to pistol primers.
Pepe Ray

44man
10-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Bass has it right! Boolits that move out of the case from primer pressure in varying amounts due to differences in case tension can change the SD and ES a great deal. You have to correct the tension, try a softer primer or seat into the lands.
If you are sizing the boolit, try them unsized to tighten case tension. With that small of a case it doesn't take long for primer pressure to reach the boolit before the powder starts a good burn.

Bullshop
10-31-2006, 02:26 PM
44man
Remember this aint no 44 magie were talking about, its a 22 hornet. Hornet necks are very thin and cant get much hold on anything especialy a lubed boolit, and you cant crimp them eather. All you have to hold things together for good ignition is to put the boolit in the lands. Guess I assumed that was being done, my mistake. So with the boolit seated into the lands and asuming an appropriate powder if verticle stringing occures I would still suggest first trying a hotter primer. Thats always my first step, and if that dont help then adjust the powder up by .1 gn increments if pressures allow.
You are the 44 man and no doubt have far more experiance than most of us here with that, but I am the hornet man and most likely the same is true.
The little hornet case seems to have its own set of laws. Most shooting nuts will or have tried it some time during thier shooting carier. Most will apply what they have learned from experiance with loading other cartridges and get so so results. So we get reports as the hornet being less accurate than other cartridges, or finicky, or temprimental or just plain difficult to load for. I have to say not true and I believe I have posted more than one time proof in pictures. My methods for loading the hornet are no different than for any other cartridge. We do no more boolit prep than for any other caliber, we throw powder and so on. The only thing we may be more cautious with is case length, so instead of trimming after 5 or 6 loadings we trim our hornets after 2 or 3 loadings. Another thing is clean primer pockets. Most hornet rifles dont have the firing pin energy of larger rifle actions, but this is something that should be done regardless. When you load for a hornet start with an open book and stay long enough to learn it laws!
Defender of the Hornet
BIC/BS

Bullshop
10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Pepe Ray
IMHO its not an accross the board application. First Ross was shooting jacketed bullets which offer far more resistance to aid powder burn.
Second when shooting boolits it depends more on boolit weight, diameter,bearing length, and lube to offer the same resistance as a jacket.
As a rule I start load development with SP primers then make adjustments to improve grouping. If you look at the loads I posted last week you will see both SP and SR primers being used. This is not by random chance but through refinment of the load.
Defender of the Hornet
BIC/BS

7br
10-31-2006, 03:00 PM
I guess I should have thrown in that I am using Javelina for lube. I have been considering getting some of LAR's red lube as I do have a couple of cartridges that go into the rifle velocities. Just another round twoit that I have stashed away.

44man
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
As regards the hotter primer, yes it can help. The thing to do is to find one with a hot flame but low pressure. Some just have more ooomph then flame. This is a case of trying all of them to compare what happens.