PDA

View Full Version : Got my Silhouette rifle set up

jh45gun
01-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Never had a scope this big before LOL This is with the two sun screens on. Tasco 10x40x 50mm this is with a 1/8th target dot reticule. Never bought a scope before that had metal screw in covers to protect the lens and keep them clean. That's kinda cool. Rifle is a Marlin 80 DL. A Friend is going to do a trigger job on it today. I took one of the sun screens off it has two of them that came with the scope in the pictures. With the shortest one on the scope ends at the end of the forearm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/TargetScope2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/TargetScope1.jpg

Arisaka99
01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
How far are you going to be shooting?

jh45gun
01-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Out to a hundred yards silhouette shooting is at ranges 40, 60 77 and a 100 meters. I know that seems like a lot of scope but my friend said that a lot of guys use the higher power scopes for this shooting sport. I took one of the sun screens off the longer one so now the scope ends at the end of the forearm which looks better.

Arisaka99
01-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Cool, have fun!!

jh45gun
01-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I plan on it :)

fourarmed
01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I have a 6.5-20 Leupold on my CZ 452 American. Somebody said it looked like a 747 with the space shuttle on top.

45-70bpcr
01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I have that same scope on my CZ 452. It works well for the money. It will focus down nicely to 50' in case you want to do some indoor shooting this winter. It is not as bright as my buddy's EFR Leupold but it is clear and settings are repeatable and 1/5 the cost.

jh45gun
01-13-2011, 08:11 PM
I have that same scope on my CZ 452. It works well for the money. It will focus down nicely to 50' in case you want to do some indoor shooting this winter. It is not as bright as my buddy's EFR Leupold but it is clear and settings are repeatable and 1/5 the cost.

Good to know when spring gets here I will tape over the AO numbers and adjust the scope to the distances I will be shooting and mark my own settings.

Carolina Cast Bullets
01-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Mine is a Marlin Glenfield Model 70 so old it has no serial number. I have a Barska 6.5 x 24 target scope on it. Looks so out of place its hilarious. But, it shoots. Have had 1" groups at 100 yards off the bags with it. Damn thing is a tack driver.

Jerry

jh45gun
01-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Yea I know what you mean about them big scopes kinda looking odd on a 22 but that extra power and the target crosshair set up really does help from what I have been told. Too cold up here in WI to do much shooting this time of year. So I have only shot it once since I had the trigger job done and the scope mounted. From what I seen its gonna be a tack driver also.

fecmech
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
You fellows have to be a lot steadier than I am. With a 20+ power scope on a 100 yd target offhand I'd never pull the trigger with all the movement I see!

garandsrus
01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi,

Where did you find the scope at? I would like to get a target dot scope.

Thanks,
John

canyon-ghost
01-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Oh, that phrase will wake me up every time! I like silhouette with a .22lr! Here's a couple of photos of one of mine, Anschutz 1451D (they're not awful expensive).

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/bhjga010.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/bhjga007.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/bhjga009.jpg

By the way, that's a VX1 Leupold 4-12, not the world's most expensive but nice glass anyway. Hope you enjoy the little silhouettes, I like the little turkeys out there.

jh45gun
01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks Canyon Ghost Nice looking set up you have.

jh45gun
01-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi,

Where did you find the scope at? I would like to get a target dot scope.

Thanks,
John

I got it at Midsouth John. Natchez had them advertised on sale but when I called they said they been waiting for the shipment since September. SO I said sorry as you have no idea when they are going to come in I will shop elsewhere.

Midsouth was fast and a decent price I got it for around a 150 dollars with shipping and insurance on the package. They shipped it Priority mail with the Post Office.

garandsrus
01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Jh,

Thanks... I found the scope.

John

jh45gun
01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
You fellows have to be a lot steadier than I am. With a 20+ power scope on a 100 yd target offhand I'd never pull the trigger with all the movement I see!

From what I understand is you got to have a light trigger and shoot as soon as you get on the steel.

jh45gun
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Jh,

Thanks... I found the scope.

John

Cool what you gonna order the 10x40 or one of the other ones?

garandsrus
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
The 10x40....

John

jh45gun
01-25-2011, 06:20 PM
I think you will like it I sure like mine for the little I used it to sight it in. Now got to wait for some warm weather to do some shooting and get it fine tuned in for the distances I will be shooting.

canyon-ghost
01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
From what I understand is you got to have a light trigger and shoot as soon as you get on the steel.

My trigger is custom, 2&1/2 pounds. Practice drawing down onto the rams while softly exhaling, it helps put you in the center of the steel. Also, stock up on some 40 grain roundnose, Federal Gold or my favorite Winchester X22lr. The extra weight of a 40 grain, as opposed to the 36-37 grain hollowpoint value packs, makes it heavy enough for 100 meters. Otherwise, they can disappear at about 85 yards. I keep at least two bricks of 500 around. If you want very serious ammunition, Green Tag at $10/100! Green Tag is very consistent but, some guns don't like it.

If you decide to shoot the bigger silhouettes, you'll need something like my best friend here: http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/22longriflescoped.jpg That's a 22 lr in contender, Weaver V16. The NRA also has rulebooks available for the sanctioned matches.

jh45gun
01-26-2011, 01:34 AM
I think we are just going to shoot rimfire rifles Canyon-Ghost as the guy who is setting this up has a complete set of rifle targets but no pistol ones. If I did shoot pistol I would shoot with my Smith 22A but since he does only have the rifle targets that is what we will go with. My Marlin 80 DL I got the trigger down to 2 pounds and it is perfect no creep and crisp. Thanks for the tips on shooting and ammo.

NickSS
02-22-2011, 05:30 AM
My club has monthly silhouette matches for both 22 rifle and black powder cartridge. Do to a maximum range of 200 yards all our BPCR matches are shot at 200 yards for all 4 animals. That are scaled to give the same visual size as they appear for full range matches. The 22 matches are shot at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards. Only the chickens are shot off hand at 50 yards. The others are shot from cross sticks but we allow any 22 RF rifle to compete. And we have categories for scopes and iron sights. I went to out last match last weekend and it was windy and quite cold but nice and clear. I had some trouble with the 200 yard rams due to the wind shifting all over the place. I only hit 7 or them but I got all the pigs and 9 of the turkeys. I only got three of the chickens though for a total of 29 out of a possible 40. Lots of fun though even if I was half frozen when I got home.

jh45gun
02-24-2011, 02:59 AM
Interesting ranges for a 22. Our Matches are going to be 40 meters 60 meters 77 meters and a 100 meters.

L Ross
03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
I built my own range for 22 BPCR complete with railroad rails for the targets and white painted steel backstops instead of berms. Dave Crossno has the target patterns on BPCR.com. Same basic rules as Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette except 50 to 200 yards or meters instead of 200 to 500 for the big bores. Crossno and Shaver22 lr barrel liners in buffalo guns are popular, as are dedicated 22 silhouette rifles such as High Walls, Stevens, Ballards, and others. Scoped or tang and globe irons. Three of us are going to shoot the whole Match off hand this Spring.

Duke

jsizemore
03-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Yea I know what you mean about them big scopes kinda looking odd on a 22 but that extra power and the target crosshair set up really does help from what I have been told. Too cold up here in WI to do much shooting this time of year. So I have only shot it once since I had the trigger job done and the scope mounted. From what I seen its gonna be a tack driver also.

Dryfiring from inside to a target setup outside at the right distances is the anytime practice for silhouette, rifle or pistol. You should use dryfire and livefire to improve your skills.

jsizemore
03-20-2011, 01:09 AM

That's one strategy. Make sure you break the trigger as your going from the animals edge to center and not the other way. This is not given a high probability of winnig on a regular basis, that is unless it's a bunch of newbees.

Most folks mount their gun so it's supported by bone instead of muscle and establish their Natural Point of Aim and use their feet to get their rifle in position to be on target. Practice with dryfiring and livefiring reduces your wobble with time. It gets to the point that you will stay on target and at the longer distances with light right you can see the bullet going down range. You should see the target fall everytime. If your doing everything right.

jh45gun
03-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Well in that case I am going to have to get some 22 snap caps.

Longwood
03-22-2011, 03:16 AM
I bought a nice pellet rifle to practice dry firing. I did a pretty extensive trigger job on it and got it where my rifle triggers were. I got better faster by doing the most work with concentrating on my trigger pull.
I also shot pistol and my Thompson Contender barrels would shoot under 1" at 100 yards all day long. I used one of those Daisy side lever single pump pellet pistols to practice with while watching TV at night. And yes, like almost every gun I have ever owned, I made the trigger adjustable and very crisp and light. It was amazingly accurate.
I just did my new Savage 93R17 trigger and it is now at 15 oz, an improvement of over 1 1/2 pounds over their lightest possible setting. What a bitch because of their goofy safety trigger.
My friend has one of the $69.95 Marlins that shoots very tiny groups right out of the box. Way better than his 10-22 ever will with the stock barrel.

marshall623
03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Heres my 22 silhouette set up for IHMSA . Just had got the barrel and throwed a scope on it, but it shoots great did a 31X40 first time out on a windy day . It does need a little better glass on it. T/C super 14 22LR

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/marshall623/Timpic018.jpg

jh45gun
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I bought a nice pellet rifle to practice dry firing. I did a pretty extensive trigger job on it and got it where my rifle triggers were. I got better faster by doing the most work with concentrating on my trigger pull.
I also shot pistol and my Thompson Contender barrels would shoot under 1" at 100 yards all day long. I used one of those Daisy side lever single pump pellet pistols to practice with while watching TV at night. And yes, like almost every gun I have ever owned, I made the trigger adjustable and very crisp and light. It was amazingly accurate.
I just did my new Savage 93R17 trigger and it is now at 15 oz, an improvement of over 1 1/2 pounds over their lightest possible setting. What a bitch because of their goofy safety trigger.
[b]My friend has one of the $69.95 Marlins that shoots very tiny groups right out of the box. Way better than his 10-22 ever will with the stock barrel.[b]

I have had 5 10/22's over the years I would get one not be satisfied with it and then trade it off then get an other figuring it would be better. The factory Target one I had was a tack driver but weighted too much to be a good field gun. A Marlin 60 will shoot rings around a stock 10/22. I have not shot my Marlin 80 that is sears branded yet it needs a trigger job first but if it shoots like my Marlin 80 DL which I suspect it will both of them will put any 10/22 to shame with the exception of a target model or one some one tricked out. A tricked out 10/22 is a pretty expensive gun considering you can buy a Marlin right out of the box or off the used rack that will shoot as well.

Only thing a stock 10/22 has going for it is all the accessories and not having to be a gunsmith to work on one.

Longwood
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
I have had 5 10/22's over the years I would get one not be satisfied with it and then trade it off then get an other figuring it would be better. The factory Target one I had was a tack driver but weighted too much to be a good field gun. A Marlin 60 will shoot rings around a stock 10/22. I have not shot my Marlin 80 that is sears branded yet it needs a trigger job first but if it shoots like my Marlin 80 DL which I suspect it will both of them will put any 10/22 to shame with the exception of a target model or one some one tricked out. A tricked out 10/22 is a pretty expensive gun considering you can buy a Marlin right out of the box or off the used rack that will shoot as well.

Only thing a stock 10/22 has going for it is all the accessories and not having to be a gunsmith to work on one.

I have owned several 22 rifles including a Win 52, a couple of nice target Remingtons and one of the first rimfire Kimbers, back when you had to special order them to be made. I've only shot a few auto's, including maybe three 10-22's and was never very impressed with any of them. I could out shoot all of them with a couple different pistols I have owned.
That Marlin I sighted in for my friend amazed me. I had no idea that an inexpensive auto feed rifle would shoot that well. After the first couple of shots, I thought Oh No!!! I can't even get two on the paper. I fired 2 more then realized they were simply making the first hole a teenie little bit bigger. He had me shoot his 10-22 and at the same range, about 40 yrds, I was getting a scatter almost as big as a golf ball. Of course, there is always the possibility that one rifle hated the ammo we had and the other loved it.
I need another 22 rifle like I needed my new Uberti 45-70 Hiwall,,,, NOT!!! But,,,, I am now looking at used Marlins too use for building a custom rifle with a pistol grip free style stock from a fancy piece of wood I have been saving. I would like to build a pistol sort of like the Remington XP100 with one.

jh45gun
03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
No that scatter type golf ball group is what I normally got with my standard 10/22's why do you think so many customize theirs with target barrels and trigger groups ect so they can get them to shoot. Yea I know guys some one is going to come on here and say my factory one is a tack driver good keep it as they are not all like that.

Not sure if it is that Microgroove barrel those 22 bullets like in those Marlins or what but they do shoot well and have a reputation for doing so. But then so do the Ballard type rifled barrels of the older guns. Marlin just makes an accurate gun at a reasonable price.

calkar
03-24-2011, 06:19 AM
I have been in smallbore silhouette now for only two or three years, and have dumped all my Tascos. Including the two I have sent back that would make six Tasco Target/Varmint scopes that just refuse to properly track. The 2.5x10 on my gf's rem 540x made the rifle look as if it would only shoot 2" groups at 100m. A friend put his Leupold on it and shot a 3/4" group. So I tried a Vortex 24x and what a difference. The vortex tracks perfectly and was only about $125. I put another vortex on the 540x and its back to 3/4" groups. Vortex and Pentax offer unlimited no questions asked, lifetime warranties. Last year I fire lapped my marlin 980S with JB bore cleaner, the groups improved a decent amount, but I can still feel a tight spot under that stupid warning roll stamp. The new season starts this month!!!

jh45gun
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Well I guess I will see what this Tasco does but it was recommended to me as a good entry level target scope so we will see. The guy who recommended it to me did a lot of silhouette shooting and said a lot of guys in his club used them that were just getting into the game. First impressions are good from the little I have shot it so far. Waiting for warmer weather to shoot. I have had Tasco's in the past with no issues as I have also had Bushnell and other cheap scopes. Yea they are not Leupolds but I never have had any issues with them either and I have had them on heavy recoil rifles not just 22's.

jh45gun
03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
So how old were your Tasco's I did a check on line and it seems that Bushnell took over the Tasco line. A lot of scopes of a lot of brands are coming out of China now instead of Japan. This is a China made scope. But then so are a lot of brands. I own one Leupold I bought at a rummage sale cheap and sent it in to have them check it over and they put new guts into it and said the glass was fine. I suspect the guts were fine too but they did that I suspect as standard practice when a scope gets sent in to them. I have it on a Henry 22 Mag lever gun as it is a compact Mk8 4x that works good on the Henry as it is compact. But except for that scope all the scopes I have ever owned have been Bushnell or Simmons or Tasco and I never have had any issues with any of them. So we will see how this new Tasco holds up.

I find it interesting that you said you had tracking problems as my friend told me to get a Tasco because for a cheaper scope the adjustments were consistent.