PDA

View Full Version : Old box of boolits to melt

sh00ter787
01-08-2011, 04:26 AM
apologies as I know this has been asked numerous times - I just cant find the post that all the info in!

I am wanting to remelt an old box of 500 .44's I have kicking around I have never used, with that many I have read people boiling them to get rid of the lube.

Is it just a case of boiling them and skimming the lube off the water? or more involved?

Thanks

GP100man
01-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Boolit lube makes decent flux , melt away !! just be advised if ya melt a bunch at 1 time & the lube flashes it may be a sizeable flame !!

Or just relube em if possible , or trade em for what ya need ????

We have a boolit exchange section , sellin&swappin .Be ready to post measured size & a pic helps a bunch !

& a BIG WELCOME TO CASTBOOLITS !!!!!!

runfiverun
01-08-2011, 07:53 AM
lube floats and rehardens on top of the water as it cools.

AJ Peacock
01-08-2011, 09:57 AM
I've not done it, but how about this.

put them in one end of a cake pan in the oven. Turn it to 150F (not hot enough to flash). Put something under the end with the boolits in it. As the lube melts, it should run to the low side.

Cool and you have some lube to reuse and some 'unlubed' boolits to melt.

Haven't tried it, but that's what I would try.

Boiling water would work, I'm sure. But you'd need to dry the boolits afterwards. Maybe cake pan in the oven ;-)

AJ

stubert
01-08-2011, 10:10 AM
If you melt them in water, you better not use one of the wifes good pots, They are a bear to clean out the wax sometimes

zuke
01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
De lube and sell'em!

Shiloh
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
If you cast outside or VERY well vented inside, just melt with the lube. They will smoke severely.
I ignite the smoke when I cast outside. They are self fluxing but still need stirring.

Shiloh

sh00ter787
01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
thanks for the replies, i really like the idea of tilting them in the oven!
I didnt want to just melt them in the pot as I am still waiting for my 1st molds to arrive, and for my first session i dont want a smoking one where I dont know what to look for...

however i have just boiled a load of them, actually not that bad - put several layers of cloth over a bowl, boiled a pan with them in (i agree, not to be done with a good pan!), swirled some then poured onto the cloth so that it "filtered" the lube.
Put water from bowl back into pan and repeated a couple more times. I have now what "feels" to be totally clean boolits ready for the pot :)

trading in wasnt really an option unfortunately, no one has locally what i want - main reason im starting casting!

lyktohunt
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
So far in my very limited time casting,old bullets are all I have melted with the lube on them . They worked just fine in my 30-30.