PDA

View Full Version : CZ82 slugging the barrel for boolit size

Jal5
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks to all who have been helping me with this project, as seen in the previous thread. Special thanks to JiminPHX who provided me with a detailed description of slugging the barrel on this pistol. Here is what I did.

The barrel is apparently pinned to the frame and I was hesitant to remove it completely- turned out that I did not need to do that to slug it. Here are Jim's instructions:

"No, you don't need to remove the barrel from the gun.

The way I did it, was to:

1) remove the slide & slide spring from the gun.
2) drill a hole about an inch deep in a 2 x 4.
3) Grease the chamber & barrel of the gun.
4) put the muzzle of the barrel in the hole in the 2 x 4, so that the gun stands up on it's own, muzzle down.
5) hammer the slug into the barrel from the chamber end
6) when the slug hits the wood, take the gun out of the 2 x 4 & hold the gun in your hand as you tap the slug the rest of the way out the muzzle. It isn't very hard to do at that point.

I prefer to use a brass rod & a small dead blow hammer to drive the slug. Dead soft lead works best for slugging a barrel. Round balls are easiest to work with, but you can use a boolit if you need to. Shorter ones are better than long ones. "

When I did it I used a egg shaped sinker for fishing and squeezed it down in my bench vise then followed Jim's instructions. After putting it thru the barrel the slug measured .364 at the widest so I am going with that as the dimension of the barrel.

The boolits I cast from the Lee mold are 95 gr. 365-95-1R and drop at
.366 so I will lube these tumble lube with JPW and load as cast. Here is a pic of the set up with the 2x4, and I used a threaded rod with double washers at one end to pound on, the whole length wrapped in duct tape so as not to scratch the bore.

Thanks again, I have learned so much from this forum.

Joe

arjacobson
01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Mine checks just about the same as yours.I have the same mold/lube combo..mine shoots pretty nice!!!