PDA

View Full Version : Maxie ball

bigjake
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I dont know much about muzzle loaders and their bullets. I got a mold for 45 and 50 cal. maxie balls. I dont know why they called them "balls"
anyway, is there supposed to be some type of lube in the big grooves or do you shoot them dry.
thanks

Jim
01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Those big grooves need to be filled with lube before loading. Without that, you're going to have some serious leading problems.
You could get a lot of help on this by posting a question about it in the lube section.

Larry Gibson
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I shoot my .50 cal MaxiBalls cast of 1-16 tinin/lead alloy in a TC Blk Mtn Magnum at 1525 fps over 90 gr Triple 7 FFG. I lube the bottom groove only with my own lube of beeswax/virgin olive oil at 6/5 parts. SPG works just as good as does Bore Butter 1000+. Never found a need to lube the larger front groove.

Photo shows 6 shots at 100 yards with one loaded and then 5 from speed loaders with no cleaning between shots. Also shows lubed maxiball.

Larry Gibson

Johnch
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I cast them out of range lead that is about 40-1 Lead tin ( mostly 22 and air rifle )
I fill both groves with Crisco ( not butter flavor !!!!)

My normal load is 100 gr of 777

John

And I have no clue as to how that design got it's name

DIRT Farmer
01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Johnch, the butter flavor makes it smell like pop corn when you shoot.

Big jake, I had a pieceof tubing that was a slip fit for the 50. We lubed with deer tallow and you could shoot black powder all day with out cleaning. Dad had a scope on his rifle and a milk jug at 200 was no problem.

44man
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Young Country is the best lube with Bore Butter a runner up. Bore Butter will dry out in storage.
Lube all grooves and be sloppy.
SPG will fail faster and leave hard deposits in the bore.
Leading with BP is not much of an issue. It is dry BP fouling that must be kept soft.
Crisco works fine but not in a cap and ball revolver. It blows away in the next chamber because it is too soft.

marshall623
01-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I've shot maxi balls for years with the original maxi lube and now bore butter in my 50 cal Renagade and System 1 and 32 cal in a T/C Cherokee . All shoot very good. I'm working on hollow pointing some maxi's to see how they do I'll post the results

prs
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I traded my 50 caliber version mold for the .454 one. years ago. I was experimenting in early stages of development of the PRS boolet. I did not think about lubing only the bottom canyon, but I suppose that makes good sense, especially if using store bought black powder lube. In 45 Colt case it takes-up too much room fer da boom, but still shot sweet and remarkably accurate all day, or even all week long sans cleaning. For cartridge reloading, I used typical wheelweight. Near pure lead with a tad of Sn would be best for front stuffer. If you decide you do not like it, you should have no trouble making a good trade or sale.

prs

Johnch
01-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Johnch, the butter flavor makes it smell like pop corn when you shoot.

:-P Yea :-P
And it also leaves a black fouling :groner:

My guess what ever the fake butter flavor is made of , it dosn't like either Black or 777

As I have seen the same problem with both

John