PDA

View Full Version : bp ruger

bigted
01-06-2011, 08:40 PM
this is probably an ireverant question but im brave and im gonna ask it anyway.

has anyone shot blackpowder in a ruger #1 45-70? i think the twist is a little bit slow [ like 20 to 1] but leaving off the heavy's like the 500+ grain boolits this rifle should be ok with the bp huh?

just an inquiring mind again. occassionally i drive truck at work and the time isnt my friend...therefore i have wayyy tooooo much time to do nothing but think and wonder about stuff[smilie=1:

if they would only leave me on the large dozers id be ok i think....lol maybe:roll:

DIRT Farmer
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I know about sitting in a truck all day, mine was an Ohama orange and white F350. I would do my buzzard immation and wait for something bad to happen to some one so I could work.

A lot of the origional long range .451 M/Ls had 1/20 rifling and they seemed to shoot fine with 550 grain slugs. In fact I have been told a proper English rifle has a 1/20 twist.

Bullshop
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I think the Trapdoor 45/70's were 1/20" twist and they shoot 500's perty darn good.

NickSS
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I had both the No 1 and No 3 rugers and shot BP in both with perfectly satisfactory results. They shot with the same or better accuracy than the same rifles shot with smokeless loads. As for effectiveness, I shot a bull elk in the rear end and the bullet came out the chest at a range of about 60 yards with my N03 carbine loaded with 65 gr of GOEX FFG and a Lyman 457125 500 gr bullet. Needless to say I was eating elk that year.

bigted
01-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I had both the No 1 and No 3 rugers and shot BP in both with perfectly satisfactory results. They shot with the same or better accuracy than the same rifles shot with smokeless loads. As for effectiveness, I shot a bull elk in the rear end and the bullet came out the chest at a range of about 60 yards with my N03 carbine loaded with 65 gr of GOEX FFG and a Lyman 457125 500 gr bullet. Needless to say I was eating elk that year.

:loveboolias i have suspected...those 500's have to be just the ticket for hunting. i havnt killed anything with them yet but it just seems rite for a thorough penetration and at speeds that dont take peices of you with it. ive seen first hand the demonstrated effects of a 350 on our hardy moose here and im still picking moose meat from my teeth as we speak. son-in-law saw fit to share with the ol man for helping the chores of putting it away so i relish the fact that it were my handloads that kia'ed this particular humpy and ushered it into our freezers.

which brings me to the point of this post and that is i cant wait to hunt with a blackpowder load in a rifle that "looks rite" with a modern scope that is lite enough to carry all day in the scrub brush that is often called muskeg up here...a more develed substance cant be found this side of western oregon where the absolute worst "brush" i ever had the misfortune of being in was and is called "VINEY MAPLE". the only thing that is worst to pull/carry thru this evil stuff then a rifle is a chainsaw.......ok i just tipped my hand as for the intelect of myself in my younger days :kidding:

thanks nick for the reply and im going to try to land a #1 to give a try with all sorts of cast boolits and by far the one that has my interest is the blackpowder loadings that i find so fun in my sharps and hiwall. just wish the hiwall wasnt so darn slim and trim without a scope or all this would be a mute point :grin:

bigted
01-28-2011, 11:17 PM
I think the Trapdoor 45/70's were 1/20" twist and they shoot 500's perty darn good.

wowww id never thought i would see such a sweet load rite off with this ruger, bullshop. i loaded 70gr then a felt wad overpowder then compressed them to allow my 457643 420gr boolit lubed with the "nasa" lube you sent me. my what a sweet load and that lube worked like a charm for me. i loaded 10 cases with such a load and fired them at 25 yards without blowing or wiping the barrel with such good results that im gonna load some more for a accuracy test at longer range. the bore cleaned rite up and is just as shiney as before i sooted it up with those 10 shells. no problem shooting and chambering them at all and at the 25 yds they all punched a hole of 1 inch wide and 1.5 verticle string :smile:

this beats my homemade lube by a bunch as i couldnt keep loading as the leed would chalk up and pushing the boolit into the final leed area got to be imposible with any more then 3 shots

so in answer to my origanal question is YES the ruger #1 IS a blackpowder shooter and what fun it is. im gonna have to put a stronger x scope on tho as i want to wring it out at 200 yds with my junky eyes...what fun!!!;-):D