PDA

View Full Version : Any Dillon experts out there?

Scrounger
05-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I had a Square Deal 15 or 20 years ago but I just used it, never changed calibers or anything. So now I bought a used Square Deal set up for .44 Mag with a conversion unit for .45 Colt. The installed dies seem to be mounted on a blue plate and there is a similar plate in the package with the .45 Colt dies. Does this infer I can detach and remove the .44 Mag dies as one unit and install the .45 Colt dies in a similar manner? Just curious as I intend to sell it anyway.

imashooter2
05-23-2005, 05:21 PM
The blue plastic should have a steel plate the same shape with it. This pair is a tool head. If you have them both, you can remove the .44 dies and toolhead as one piece by removing the 4 allen screws that hold the tool head on and install the .45 dies in the new one. This allows you to keep your adjustments every time you change. BTW, the actual dies on a SDB are in counterbores under the toolhead and its adjusting pieces. If you call Dillon, they will be more than happy to send you a new manual.

NVcurmudgeon
05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Also, the brass pins that keep the cartridge case from backing out seem to be caliber-specific. I recently got a .44 Magnum converson for my .45 ACP
SDB, and included were a set of pins with a different number. Depending on how big a difference in rim size there is between the two (or more) cases it could be important, for example, changing from .44 Magnum to .32 S&W, or vice versa.

Scrounger
05-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Looks like the press with the .44 Magnum set up is headed for a new homeand I'm going to have another Super Blackhawk which I don't need... Any interest in the .45 Colt conversion unit? I think it is unused

slughammer
05-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Looks like the press with the .44 Magnum set up is headed for a new homeand I'm going to have another Super Blackhawk which I don't need... Any interest in the .45 Colt conversion unit? I think it is unused

I recommended the SASS board to a friend a few years ago when he had the same item. The item went quickly.

imashooter2
05-24-2005, 08:23 PM
I recommended the SASS board to a friend a few years ago when he had the same item. The item went quickly.

I got the same money as I would have on eBay without the eBay fees. Take 15-20% off of Dillon's price and it'll get snapped up.

Walter Laich
08-07-2016, 10:57 PM
FWIW: the guide pins are the same for the .44 Mag/Sp and the .45 Colt

jmorris
08-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Offers on the Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else), in good standing, and must include his/her SASS Number. Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted

I have contacted the moderators there before and they have allowed posts WTB so they may allow WTT but I wouldn't expect a WTS to last long.