PDA

View Full Version : Blammer...Your Ingot Molds are HAUNTED

Rusty W
01-05-2011, 12:24 AM
I was out in my shop trying out the recent group buy cast boolit ingot molds and ran into something I've never seen before. After pouring I would sit the mold on top of a couple ingots and it would start to vibrate. I'd touch the handle to stop it and sometimes it would start back all by itself. I tried this 3-4 different times and there was a certain way I had to sit it but it was repeatable. It was fairly cool outside, low 30's. Could the temp be some of the reason? Hot on cold? I had my cell phone handy and while not the best video it'll show what I'm talking about. Now if I can figure out how to link/post a video.
Has anyone ran into anything like this?
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/RWoolever/th_01-04-11_2142.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/RWoolever/?action=view&current=01-04-11_2142.mp4)

waksupi
01-05-2011, 01:19 AM
You must have got one with the batteries included!

geargnasher
01-05-2011, 01:24 AM
If you weren't in OK I'd say it was an earthquake!

I think it's the air currents created by the really cold air coming across your cold concrete floor being heated and lifting up around the mould, creating a mini-updraft. The updraft, like most vertical wind currents, likely is spiraling like a dust devil, and the turbulance is causing the mould to rock at its resonant frequency.

Gear

rockrat
01-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Its gettin deep!! And so soon:)

runfiverun
01-05-2011, 03:17 AM
there's your problem your holding it and getting muscle fatigue.

nanuk
01-05-2011, 05:47 AM
I don't think the philberg flange is meshing with the grapplegrommet.

the vibration is caused by the flange trying to reaquire the grapplegrommet

I think you need to send it back with a note saying the philberg flange needs to be lapped. perhaps it is just a burr left from the machining process, but often it can be the orientation of the leading edge itself. this can be adjusted by lapping and then realigning.

If this is not corrected, you can end up with ingots that have a misaligned grain structure. Not too big an issue when casting, but can wreck havoc in storage as they just will not stack properly

Charlie Two Tracks
01-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I read someplace on here that boolits are supposed to be facing North. Maybe the same thing with ingots.

x101airborne
01-05-2011, 07:48 AM
:groner:nonsense. grapplegrommet indeed. it is nothing more than swampgas reflecting off a weather baloon catching the light from venus.[smilie=l:

PbHurler
01-05-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm adding this thread to the list of reasons I love this site!

Calamity Jake
01-05-2011, 09:30 AM
If you weren't in OK I'd say it was an earthquake!

Gear

Okla. has earthquakes so don't rule that one out, HEHE

atom73
01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Everyone know not to smelt when the moon is in-line with Uranus!!! You get vibration and resonance.
Mike

Jim
01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/images-e1294235180559.jpg

Hello, Rusty.

snuffy
01-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Better check behind the baseboards, I bet there's fraggles behind them, as in fraggle rock? Them muppets are hard to see. Ask your dog, he knows they're there. Check your garbage heap, it has magical powers as well.

Of course, they could be demon possessed, you'll need an exorcist!:brokenima

Echo
01-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Send me those ingots, and I will devibe them appropriately. I have a process that has been very effective in the past (patent applied for). Unfortunately, the ingots are destroyed in the process, but it is worth it to rid the earth of vib-o-ingots, as they have been known to multiply.

kelbro
01-05-2011, 11:48 AM
It's the zinc coming out of the molds.

mdi
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Yep I've run into this several times. I have a cure for this condition, but is too lenghty to post here. Send me the molds and I'll fix 'em for free. Turnaround time is about 8 months to a year...

ghh3rd
01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
It's the zinc coming out of the molds.

I agree totally - definitely Zinc gas escaping from between the the ingot and mold, due to temperature inversion between the ingot and ambient temperature.

:)

OLPDon
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Yep I've run into this several times. I have a cure for this condition, but is too lenghty to post here. Send me the molds and I'll fix 'em for free. Turnaround time is about 8 months to a year...

My turnaround is only 6 months, this is due to being Divorced and having lots of spare time, ( No Honeydooz)
Don

no34570
01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
There possessed !;)

RayinNH
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Any chance alcohol was involved in this?...Ray

BLTsandwedge
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I think you need to send it back with a note saying the philberg flange needs to be lapped. perhaps it is just a burr left from the machining process, but often it can be the orientation of the leading edge itself. this can be adjusted by lapping and then realigning.

This may be the inexpensive way to go, but my experience is that this fix is more-or-less temporary. Go ahead and have the philberg flange fly-cut. I know it's more expensive, but you don't gotta worry about it afterward. DO NOT use either the original gasket or gasket compound. You're asking for trouble if you do. Stock gaskets are still made and avialable in Nizhny Novgorod (the city that used to be called Gorky during the Soviet days). You usta be able to order 'em through Cabella's- I don't know if they do that anymore. I'd call 'em first. One more note- when it's time to add the oyster sauce, add the first tablespoon, wait four minutes and thirty seconds. Then add the next one. Even distribution is what we're looking for.

Hope this helps.......

canyon-ghost
01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Okay, uh....Boo!

onesonek
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Mine didnt vibrate , but the four cavities sorta made sort of a chorus that sounded just like this,,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIP5w4H6Dw

Rusty W
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Yous guys are crazy. I live in Oklahomas, near Ft. Smith AR, about 6 miles from the state line. In this area it is the Cherokee nation. Some of them believe in Little People. http://www.ilhawaii.net/~stony/lore132.html Maybe they are the cause of this. But really what could cause it? It's got me perplexed, I just can't get my pea brain wrapped around what is going on here. I don't think it's the wind currents. Funny thing is, the 1st thing I thought was an earthquake.

nanuk
01-05-2011, 10:42 PM
This may be the inexpensive way to go, but my experience is that this fix is more-or-less temporary. Go ahead and have the philberg flange fly-cut. I know it's more expensive, but you don't gotta worry about it afterward. DO NOT use either the original gasket or gasket compound. You're asking for trouble if you do. Stock gaskets are still made and avialable in Nizhny Novgorod (the city that used to be called Gorky during the Soviet days). You usta be able to order 'em through Cabella's- I don't know if they do that anymore. I'd call 'em first. One more note- when it's time to add the oyster sauce, add the first tablespoon, wait four minutes and thirty seconds. Then add the next one. Even distribution is what we're looking for.

Hope this helps.......

Hey, I was trying to be serious! but completely forgot about the gasket issue.
Carb soak can get it off, but yeah... the replacements can sometimes be a chore to find. I have had OK luck with UAP/NAPA. they found me a replacement from another application that with a 1/2 hour and a .250 wad cutter, you can make it fit

JIMinPHX
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I think you might need some 40 weight ball bearings & a couple of gallons of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone....

x101airborne
01-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Well Rusty, if you can count on us for anything, its to be a bunch of smartacres!!!

Bob Krack
01-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Rusty,

Next time it happens, sneak up from around the corner and see if you can hear the theme from "Twilight Zone" faintly in the background, OR look for Alan Funt and a hidden camera.

Bob

nanuk
01-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Did someone mention HAARP?

ghh3rd
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
You should sit the recent times and run into sitting there - do it outside if it's at least in the low 30's.

Otherwise, you could start to sit there with the mold, and while it may not be the recent group ingot, it is for cast boolits, as evidenced by your picture on your cell phone. Run to sit and find the reason and ingot us back.

How about hot on cold? How could this 3-4 different group buy cast boolit ingots and start to vibrate moldy? I'd touch the reason! See if it still hot on top of a couple ingots with the handy, and it put it in you cell phone.

Anyway, this in only my opinion.

tonyjones
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Are the properties of zinc gas similar to those of methane? If so, one merely has to blow them out their....... It is very important to avoid a liquidous state here!
Tony

firefly1957
01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
QUIT LISTENING TO COAST TO COAST WHILE CASTING unless it is a fishing rod and there is a beer involved.;)

PatMarlin
01-08-2011, 12:27 AM
http://www.patmarlins.com/Onestep.jpg

waksupi
01-08-2011, 03:19 AM
QUIT LISTENING TO COAST TO COAST WHILE CASTING unless it is a fishing rod and there is a beer involved.;)

I turn that on when I'm going to bed. I believe the fans of the show must be the world's largest consumer of tin foil, and have a yearly spring tin foil hat show that rivals, or surpasses the Easter Parade!
What a bunch of wing nuts, ding bats, and looney toons!

PatMarlin
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Did you pay with GPal?

FLDad
01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
The answer is obvious. You have accidentally created a boolit diving rod. The strength of those vibrations are telling you to rent a jackhammer so you can go straight down through the shop floor to boolit heaven -- a huge seam of mixed lead and discarded wheel weights!! Probably not more than forty feet down, I bet.

nanuk
01-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I turn that on when I'm going to bed. I believe the fans of the show must be the world's largest consumer of tin foil, and have a yearly spring tin foil hat show that rivals, or surpasses the Easter Parade!
What a bunch of wing nuts, ding bats, and looney toons!

I agree.

CTC has great entertainment value.

I used to listen to Art Bell while on night shifts.

the best caller was the LeftWingNut wackjob ( that worked for Customs, I think) that would start to rant EVERY time he called. You could actually hear his spittle hitting the phone.
I wish I could remember his name.

firefly1957
01-08-2011, 09:09 PM
waksupi & nanuk The show was much better with Art Bell now it is conspiracy or Global warming
I liked the ghost stories a lot better it was something different to pass the night hours.
I do not know about the fans buying "aluminum" foil for hats but a lot of callers were full of booze.
What about the nutjob preacher JC he was a trip also.
I was just kidding the guy on his oiuji (SP) board ingots being haunted.

geargnasher
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Divining rod. Yes, I think you might be on to something. Huge Galena vein right underneath the garage.

Gear

Russel Nash
01-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Dagnabbit!

I missed out on another good group buy.

Darn!

:(

I am off to the search function to see if I can find a thread by Blammer.

FLDad
01-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Right you are, geargnasher. Sometimes my fingers don't keep up with the three synapses I have left From now on I'll proofread. Since I got served with divorce papers this morning, it's probably a habit I need to work on.

Russel Nash
01-09-2011, 05:10 AM
^^^ that sucks!

FLDad
01-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Didn't mean to be a downer. I'll live. And my divining rod theory holds until disproved!

Rusty W
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Actually I like the divining rod theory. I just may have to dig my way to China to find any lead.

threewheels
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Did the wheel weights come from that there Christine car LOL

Mal Paso
01-10-2011, 12:17 AM
You guys must spend all your time here and never watch the news. The Magnetic North Pole is shifting. Going over to the Russians from what I hear. Birds are falling out of the sky, fish dying. Ingots vibrating doesn't surprise me at all.