PDA

View Full Version : 8MM mould for 32-40

lyktohunt
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi I had started this thread in the Test Forum as I am new to this site, but did not get a lot of response other than some welcomes which I appreciate,thanks.
This forum is likely a better choice.
My situation is I have cast 30-30 bullets with a Lee mould and very basic equipment -mould, bottom pour pot and tumble lube, just hand pressed a gas check, did not size, just shot as they dropped with very good results. The same thing cannot be said for my 32-40, in this case I used commercial cast hard bullets and they tumbled within 25 yards, it was suggested that they were too hard (25bhn) and likely too small.
I slugged the bore to find it to be .322 so I decided to buy a 8MM mold that is supposed to drop at .323 in order to better fill the bore.
I have not received the mould yet and before I do something dumb thought I would ask you folks if this OK or do you have advise or a better plan.
The rifle is a Win 94 made in 1896, it does shoot jacketed bullets well.
One thing that does nag me a bit is maybe I should have got the correct mould for the 32-40 and tried with the softer lead.
Anyways thanks for letting me join the club and I know I will get some good advise judging from the knowledge I see here from the members.

elk hunter
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome aboard.

I'll take a guess that the commercial cast bullets were either too heavy/long to stabilize at the twist rate of your barrel or as you pointed out, too small in diameter. Another possibility is that the bore of your model 94 is worn. A .323 diameter bullet would likely work just fine, but again it must be at a weight/length that will stabilize and if you intend to use your rifle as a repeater the crimp groove must be in the proper location and the nose length such that it function through your rifle.

I'm sure there are several people here that can help you get going in the right direction.

mroliver77
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Like has been said, if boolit is not too long it should work.
Either make an impact impression of your neck throat area and measure this to determine maximum boolit size or measure the neck inner diameter of a case fired with a full charge of powder and size to this measurement. With cast the boolit works better(in my experience) if it mostly fills the throat and will be squeezed down to barrel diameter (even .005 - .010) with no pressure problems. Always work up a load with new components though. Your gun might fire .323, .324 or larger without problems. I prefer to do the impression and work from there but good results have been had working from the fired case neck I.D. also.
Welcome and keep us posted.
Jay

runfiverun
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
i'd wait for the mold.
get it, make some boolits, and fidgit with them.
then worry, you got a pretty good neck to work with,unless you bought a 200+ gr mold they should be workable.