PDA

View Full Version : Microsight.....where are you?

3006guns
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
There was some real excitement back in May of 2010 regarding a breakthrough optical device called the Microsight. This little 1/4" lens allows the shooter to focus on both the front sight and target so that both appear clear, instead of one or the other being slightly "fuzzy".

Sounded great, especially for someone like me who's 60+ eyes are getting a little tired.......but, no news since? Has anyone heard any updates on this gizmo? I'd sure like to avoid having to scope a bunch of milsurps......tends to ruin their appearance.:razz:

Wayne Smith
01-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I was wondering this myself about a month ago.

hardcase54
01-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Use a diopter sight. Or black tape on your glasses with a small hole to"PEEP" thru.

Jasper
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
it's being released sometime in the next 4-8 weeks.

Creedmoor Sports has them available for preorder....if you want to go directly to the source, try Stallings Machine. Wayne Forshee is the guy producing them.

the National Match Competition forums have QUITE a bit more information available on them...as the microsight was originally intended to help some of the older guys along in HighPower rifle competition (i imagine, a fair amount of their target audience)

www.stallingsmachine.com

Von Gruff
01-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Be interested to hear from anyone who actually gets one to try. Often yhe forward hype on an anticipated product is not lived up to.

Von Gruff.

3006guns
01-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info Jasper..........been hoping actual production/distribution was close. I'll contact Creedmore Sports and see if I can get a date of some sort.

Dennis Eugene
01-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Report back what ya find out Please. Thanks Dennis Eugene

pdawg_shooter
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I think for $140.00 I will stick with my roll of black tape and ice pick!

Jasper
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
$140 is peanuts at this point.

NRA / CMP Highpower Rifle is a passion (obsession?) of mine. I've literally got ~ $7000 tied up in rifles (3 AR15 service rifles, and 1 AR-based match rifle)...along with a TON of gear and ammo. if a $140 aperature will give me a competitive edge, it's worth it to me.

The microsight went through 2 weeks of testing with some of the top competitive shooters in the country, and the general consensus was something to the effect of "holy ****!". In testing, it was all it was hyped up to be. I'll try to update this thread when i receive mine, but it'll be springtime before I'll be able to really give a good review (tough to shoot at 600yds when the firing line is buried in snow...plus it's tough to control my breathing when I'm shivering)

as far as an exact date? creedmoor doesnt even know when they're getting them.

I spoke with Wayne Forshee ~ 3 weeks ago, getting some specs updated for a sight order i put in with him (30mm RightSight for my spacegun), and he hinted at late Jan/early Feb as an actual release/ship date for the Microsight.

MtGun44
01-05-2011, 10:37 PM
The technology is absolutely legit, it should be a miracle for shooters with older eyes,
like me.

Bill

Jasper
01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Wayne Forshee sent me an email this morning. My MicroSight shipped today. Oughta see it by Tues/Wed, and should be able to give it an honest review after Sunday (shooting a 200yd offhand league on Sunday mornings).

jhrosier
02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
...Oughta see it by Tues/Wed, and should be able to give it an honest review after Sunday (shooting a 200yd offhand league on Sunday mornings).

How did the sight work for you?

Jack

imashooter2
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't understand... how can a sight with a lens in it be considered an "iron sight?"

c3d4b2
02-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't understand... how can a sight with a lens in it be considered an "iron sight?"

I believe the classifications are scopes or iron sights. The Iron sights are limited to one lens and the lens can be in in the front or rear sight, but not both (unless the rule has changed????)

I purchased one for my AR and have been impressed. The front sight is in focus as well as the target. I was amazed how well it worked.

Dannix
02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
c3d4b2, is your's like the top or the bottom pic?

Here (http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889882&cat=360&page=1) it looks like a small peep sight:
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/images/D/SightLight1%20copy.jpg

But this vid elaborates on the lens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJYYwytD8g&feature=player_embedded
http://i53.tinypic.com/fmswtt.jpg

stubshaft
02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I'll just stick to my Knobloch or Merit apertures. It insures that I don't change my head position too much. When shooting Creedmore I used to drop my head on the turkeys and rams. This would cause my shots to string high. If I use an aperture I can tell immediately if I am dropping as I can hardly see my sights.

c3d4b2
02-24-2011, 12:04 AM
is your's like the top or the bottom pic?

Mine is like the top picture. I believe the lens (for lack of a better word) is the diameter of the inside of the hood. The aperture (peep sight) part in the picture is between the lens and your eye. Or another way to put it is you look through the peep sight then through the lens.

I hope these explanations help. If not let me know and I will try again.

Jal5
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
I've been using the plastic cling-ons for my eyeglasses from clear2target.com. they have several diopter sizes in the package and you just stick them on your eyeglasses. For pistol shooting without a scope these things helped tremendously. It forces your eye to focus on the front sight clearly. They are reusable many times too.

Joe

Jasper
03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
so far, i like it.

it did take some getting used to. i lost some clarity on the target itself, but it makes front sight post focus effortless. a few fellow shooters have looked through mine, and the general consensus was "holy sh**!". (granted, they're much older than me, most of them have switched to match rifles because they could no longer see the front post clearly and still have any semblance of a target).

honestly, i'd try to find someone nearby who has one, and try it out. $140 can be a little steep for a "try out", but the upside is, you'd be able to sell it for what you paid for in a heartbeat on the NationalMatch.us forums.

bbqncigars
03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow, that video is impressive. I can think of a few of my guns that might benefit from one.

Wayne

P.K.
03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Pretty impressive.