PDA

View Full Version : traditions crocket rifle

garbear
01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I am thinking of trading for a traditions crocket rifle in .32 cal 1-48 twist. Can someone chime in if these guns are good. Owner claims to have only shot it twice and that the gun is 10 years old. Waiting on some pics from him. I am traidng one of my k31 from my collection.
Garbear

Shooter
01-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I have one. A nice little squirrel rifle. Doesn't eat a lot of lead and powder.
It balances nice for off-hand shooting.
I do wish it had a hooked breech.

northmn
01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Production percussions are usually pretty safe as all a percussion has to do is to hit the cap hard enough to go bang. If they do not either a minor bit of interior wood removal will work or in one case a replacement main spring. Nothing major. I have seen them in stores like Gander Mountain and think that they are one of the nicer looking BP guns. Comparing values the Traditions sells for more than a K31. The 32 is fun to shoot a lot of folks use buckshot. Real BP is better in small bores but if you have to use phoney powders I would suggest 777 for pistols. About 25 grains volume on a BP measure to start. You will enjoy the rifle.

DP

garbear
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I have T7FFF and can't get the real stuff in my town. I go tthe pics and the gun looks brand new. He also has some cleanig jags ball and small learther possibles bag also an extra nipple. The only patches I have for now is .019 for the 45. Also when you said others use buck shot is that the same as 00 buck shot. I have not made a finaly decesision on the trade. The other problem I have is I would have to ship my rifle to WY and trust he is going to send the muzzle loader.
Garbear

northmn
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
00 buck is too large but some use either 0 or 1 which are 320 and 310. The swaged ball for one is also not all that spendy. Lee makes molds for them. 777 3f should work. You can order the real stuff from places like Grafs. I have ordered 4 pounds and spreading the Haz Mat over that amount still makes it less expensive than the 777 per pound. Patching can vary depending on ball size.

DP

Alan
01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I have one of these rifles, though I haven't shot it much. It seems to do ok, but I wish it had a hooked breech. I need to get it out of the back of the safe and really wring it out. I came across a nearly full bag (25#) of No. 1 Buckshot at an estate sale for $20. That is a LOT of balls. 8)

garbear
01-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Okay another question for you small game experts that hunt with the 32 cal. I have read about fouling and wonder what you do in the field to swab the bore between shots. spit poatch I would assume then a 2 patches to dry then be able too load. Am I close. I am planning to hunt cotton tails with this rifle.
Garbear

Maven
01-09-2011, 06:05 PM
"I have read about fouling and wonder what you do in the field to swab the bore between shots. spit patch I would assume then a 2 patches to dry then be able too load. Am I close?"
...Garbear

Garbear, Your close, but a saliva soaked patch may freeze when it's below 32 deg. F. You may want to try undiluted Windex with vinegar already added or make your own solvent with 70%isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and vinegar. Here's a recipe for a patch lube and cleaner all in one that's quite at home in cold weather (I made some, but haven't yet tried it):

D. Taylor Sapergia’s Bullet Lube

I like shooting the smooth bored PA fowler. I use the heavier charge (85 grs. FFg) because it shoots where I want at all ranges out to 109 yds. (our farthest target on the trail). You are good to go with the .595 and .600 balls, and I like your choice of patch material. I usually use saliva - lots of it - in the summer, but in the winter, I switch too a lube with methyl hydrate to keep it from freezing.

I use precut patches ~1 1/8" soaked with the following mixture: I fill an Appleton's rum bottle, having consumed the great rum, with winter strength windshield washer antifreeze, to within a couple inches of the top. I then add a couple ounces of Murphy Oil soap, and a couple ounces of Neatsfoot Oil. Olive or Canola oil is just as good. This stuff does not blend into a combined liquid, and requires shaking just before you use it. I fill a Sucrets tin with the precut patches I'm going to shoot that day, shake the bottle, and pour it over the patches. When they have absorbed as much as they will. I pour the extra back into the bottle, and then squeeze out the patches in the tin a little to remove the overflow as well. But I leave then very wet. With these soaked patches, you should be able to shoot all day and never have to wipe the bore. And loading is not hard with a wooden rod.

R.M.
01-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Mine's not a Crockett, but a Cherokee .32. Just got it and love it. I took it to the range on the first trip, and shot 35 rounds. Spit patch, with Goex. Never swabbed at all, and the last round loaded just as easy as the first. Kinda surprised me. The .32 round is a fun little caliber. Cheap to shoot, and easy on the shoulder. Just like a .22

Shyoldman
01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I have 2 of them, my Grandkids love to shoot them. 30 gr of FFF pyrodex is pretty potant and accurate in mine.

cajun shooter
01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Just remember that the 1-48 twist is a trade off . The best round ball is a 1-66. The 1-48 will allow shooting of either ball or conical. The correct lube such as T/C Bore Butter will keep fouling low and season the barrel.

northmn
01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Okay another question for you small game experts that hunt with the 32 cal. I have read about fouling and wonder what you do in the field to swab the bore between shots. spit poatch I would assume then a 2 patches to dry then be able too load. Am I close. I am planning to hunt cotton tails with this rifle.
Garbear

For hunting liquid lubes are not the best and I definitely do not recommend spit. They tend to dry out on you while carrying. They are best for shooting at the range where one shoots and loads and shoots again right away. For hunting you are best using a grease wax type lube. In my 25 I have had fair luck with Bore Butter for squirrel hunting. Another good lube according to some is Track of the Wolf's Mink Oil (not to be confused with the stuff for shoes) The crisco in lard form has worked also. You should not have to wipe between shots unless you see a lot of cottontails. If you shoot it at game then you should shoot off the load at days end as it may misfire the next day if you do not. Many do that regardless. In a 32 a 1-48 inch twist is actuall pretty slow and not a comprimise twist as most custom roundball barrrels are rifled at that rate. Actually the comprimise rifling is a matter of rifling depth and design as 1-48 is a good roundball twist even in a 50. Many original Hawkens were made with that twist. I ahve a 32 barrel that need to be built that has a 1-33 as the typical loads for a 32 hit just about like a 22 mag hollow point and I wanted something more accurate witha lighter charge. Most 32's shoot best with25-30 grains of 3f. In my 25 Grafs fouls less than GOEX.

DP

blackpowder man
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Check out www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm He talks about making BP lube, but the article shows accuracy and loads of his traditions crockett rifle. I have one I need to sell. Actually I need to post a number of muzzleloaders for sale and I think I will get started on that today. I have 3 .32 squirrel rifles. Got the first 2 around 1990. I have trouble finishing an entire shoot at the local club before fouling becomes an issue. That is with a Dixie Tennessee rifle though. Haven't shot that many consecutive out of the traditions. PM me if you are interested in mine.

Hanshi
01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
The Crockett is a nice little rifle and I really like mine. I cast .311 balls and don't buy them. You first load of the day should be a grease load, bore butter, Crisco, etc. That way it won't freeze and if you don't fire it it can safely stay loaded. For ALL lube - except that first load - I use Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube. I can shoot all day without having to wipe at all. I recommend it highly.

garbear
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
R.M if the trade falls through I may contact you. Pm your asking price so I know what I am looking at price wise.
Garbear

Old Goat Keeper
01-13-2011, 02:43 AM
I have 2 32's: one a Crocket and one a flintlock. I have shot them extensively. If target shooting where shots come with lidttle time between dthem spit patch will work ok. Hunting I use bees was mixed with plain lard to get the right consistancy for patch lubing. T/C bore butter will give you a a tight "ring" in the bore (of any caliber BTW) several inches in from the muzzle after several shots. Buckshot??? Nah cause buckshot is hardened and I find that the small bores are way more finiky on ball size and hardness. To hard (use pure lead) and it messes with accuracy and precesion. Wiping the bore beween shots? In a hunting situation no need to wipe. You will still get minute of squirrel for all the more shots you will be taking. IF you are a top level target shooter shooting paper then you may want to wipe after each shot. For target I shoot 10 grains of either 3F black or 3f 777. For squirrels/small game I use 20 grains of either. Varmits like groundhogs I up it to 30 grains.

Fun little rifles but you NEED to find what each one likes.

Tom

northmn
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
You can get pure lead buckshot through Track of the Wolf. It is not that hard anyway, a lot have success with it.

DP