PDA

View Full Version : I finally feel like a real boolit caster

rtracy2001
01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I have been casting for a little while, but up until quite recently I have been limited to tumble lube only as I did not own a lube-sizer. Now don't get me wrong, the tumble lube has worked rather well for me in my 357, but with all the talk of lube-sizers here, and the contradictory reports of tumble lubing standard boolit designs, I always felt like half a caster.

Well the wife gave me an old Lyman 45 for Christmas (I bought it months before, but she found out and hid it 'till Christmas). After Christmas I set the sizer up on my bench and started looking for lube. Well it turns out that the white lable lube folks are two miles from the house!!! a phone call and a quick trip later I had some BAC and Carnauba Red to play with.

Today I finally got around to lubing up some boolits (Lee 175 gr TC). My basement is cold, so I needed to use a heater for the BAC, and it took a while to get things adjusted just right (I kept getting lube between the boolit and the punch. You don't have to crank the feed every boolit, go figure). I now have about 50 boolits to load up for my .40 S&W. Not bad at all.

454PB
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Good for you.

Using a lubrisizer takes some practice, but you'll figure it out.

One of the things that can cause the problem you're having is a nose punch that doesn't fit just right. It will actually grab the boolit and pull it up as the handle is raised, allowing lube to run in underneath.

rtracy2001
01-03-2011, 10:27 PM
One of the things that can cause the problem you're having is a nose punch that doesn't fit just right. It will actually grab the boolit and pull it up as the handle is raised, allowing lube to run in underneath.

Not a bad thoery as I was using aluminum foil stuffed into a cut down 429 top punch.

Once I stopped turning the reservoir screw at every boolit (about 1/4 turn every 4-6 boolits), and made sure the upstroke was a quick one, things settled down nicely.

x101airborne
01-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah, thats how it starts. lubrisizing. Then you "need" a keith mold. Then you need a new sizer. Then you need a new brass sizing die. Then you need some other alloy. Then you need a second pot. Then you need a hotplate. Then you need....... I doesn't stop. Its not a hobby, its an obsession.

Tom W.
01-03-2011, 10:45 PM
And when it bites, it doesn't let go...You're hooked now, just relax and admit it...

rtracy2001
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
You're hooked now, just relax and admit it...

I've been hooked for a while, this is just me delving deeper into the maelstrom.

:lovebooli

Walter Laich
01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
l added this to my 450--works well and I can do 10-15 bullets before cranking the handle on top

scroll down to ALF close to the bottom of the page

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

noylj
01-04-2011, 12:16 AM
When you shot your first bullet that you had cast, you were a boolit caster.
Now, you have just entered an area where, from what you wrote, you never needed to enter.
Try using it just for lube and not sizing your bullets smaller and compare to bullets you size down. Determine what works for you in your gun(s).
I have not tried it, but BAC does sound like it should be excellent.
Just remember--never assume.

btroj
01-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Good to here it. Cast, load, shoot. That is my rule of thumb. Don't over think things. Learn what works for you and what does not. It is so much more satisfying to learn some thing on your own. No problem reinventing the wheel at times if it helps the learning process. Fact is, most of us here reinvented a few times ourselves!

HighHook
01-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Word of advice! Start hording lead and WW. Our years are numbered!!!

:lovebooli

timkelley
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
airborne, have you been peekin again?

geargnasher
01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
You'll never be a "real" caster until you get your apron and fez :razz:

Gear

btroj
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Fez? You got a fez? What the? Where is mine?

The apron though? Nope? Don't want the wife to think I am good in the kitchen. I can see where that could lead to dish duty.

Tom W.
01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Leather apron.. keeps the tinsel fairy from getting personal...

now about that fez.....