PDA

View Full Version : No boolit lube?

mikeg1005
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I cast and shoot USPSA... the smoke sometimes because a pain to see the target created by cast boolits.

I have been reading a little about people not using boolit lube and not having leading issues... Is there somewhere where I can find more info about this and how to go about having it work?

The loads I'm shooting are 200gr LRN at around 830-840fps.

I'd like to try to see if it works for me... if not... I'll continue to lube.

MIke.

Moonie
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Might try a different lube, some lube/powder combinations cause lots of smoke, others not so much. I have found Clays and 45/45/10 tumble lube doesn't smoke much.

mikeg1005
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Might try a different lube, some lube/powder combinations cause lots of smoke, others not so much. I have found Clays and 45/45/10 tumble lube doesn't smoke much.

I'm using carnubea red (sp?) and solo 1000 which is apperently compareable to clays.

MIke.

runfiverun
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
the smoke might just be gas blow-by.
i know you ain't getting no leading or nuthin but you could try a bit larger boolit.
you could soften the carnuba red some too.
if you are getting acceptable accuracy,etc a slight change could be all you need.
a little white lith,a spoonfull of vaseline or a spoonfull of trans fluid might be all you need.

mroliver77
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I have read reports of shooting pure lead boolits with no lube. I think our own Buckshot was one of the guys trying(doing) it. If I remember correctly, all were shooting very mild loads behind soft(pure?) lead boolits.
I use FWFL made with atf in place of the mineral oil per Felixs' suggestion In the 45ACP with 4gr "Titewad". It smokes very little, a bit more on very warm days.
Jay

swynn
01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
What if the bullets were a lot harder???Would they need lube at all,at say 850fps

Just a couple of newby questions..

Shelby

waksupi
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
What if the bullets were a lot harder???Would they need lube at all,at say 850fps

Just a couple of newby questions..

Shelby

Yep. Unless you enjoy removing lead from the bore.

82nd airborne
01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Who doesnt?

runfiverun
01-04-2011, 09:31 PM
if by a lot harder you mean zinc, yeah.

leadman
01-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Might try LBT Blue Soft lube. It doesn't smoke in my handguns and only in the rifle like the '06 if I push it to about 2K.

kir_kenix
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I would try a different lube first. I make my own lube, and I've found that STP or DexIII, in place of mineral oil seems to keep the smoke down, just as mrolliver has. Running with no lube in the .45 ACP is certainly possible. However, I think it would be much easier to find a less smokey load by changing one component at a time.

Possible things to consider:

*GC boolit/size .001 larger. Sounds to me as smoke may be blow-by. I would personally try sizing .001 larger then you are now before going this route. GC's are expensive, and it sounds like you shoot alot. Also, if you use a Lee FCD...don't use it and see if the smoke improves.

*Try a different lube. I've rarely heard of lube failure in a cartridge such as the .45 ACP. I suspect your lube is doing a good job, as your not experiencing leading, but its too smokey. Shallow rifling and low velocity make the .45 very easy to cast for, but sometimes requries some tuning. I've never experienced lube failure under 1k fps. Seems at that speed just about anything will work as lube, but some is smokier then others.

*Try a harder alloy. .45 ACP's have very shallow rifling, and sometimes a harder alloy is necessary to get them shooting well. Sounds like your load is meeting your accuracy requirements, so this is probably not the cause.

*Try a different powder. I'm a fan of BE in the ACP, but there are dozens that might work for you. Some are less smokey then others.

I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it in time. Start with lube and go from there. Good luck man.

cajun shooter
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Try using the White Label Carnuba Red with Clays powder. It gives loads that are almost smoke free in SASS matches. Now if you want to have a real smoke problem start shooting the real black with me. I sometimes have to shoot where I think they are.