PDA

View Full Version : pecans

carpetman
10-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Read in the paper that this years pecan crop will be less than half of last years and it is that way in all areas. My one pecan tree did real good last year and I don't think it is going to produce a one this year. Cant blame this one on bush---it's a tree.

KCSO
10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
That explains it! I had a slice of pecan pie at the church social this afternoon and it was only 1/2 as big as last years.

nighthunter
10-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Carpetman .... did you have a sex change or something? I've noticed on a few of your posts that you just don't quite look like your old self. I'm not sure if it is the longer hair or the tight fittin shirt.
Nighthunter

carpetman
10-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Nighthunter---I'd like to be able to tell you the lady on my avatar accussed me of rape and I was so happy I pled guilty and got fined for perjury.

Frank46
10-28-2006, 01:36 AM
This is the first year in the last four that my pecan tree by the pool had nuts. Lilli took out one tree and the last two hurricanes took out another. When I first moved here I planted two more. They are about 8 years old and should be producing soon, I hope. Frank

Jack Stanley
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm more than likely to far north of the Ohio valley to ever have the two in my yard actually produce a crop . I am however hoping that the will be good pollinators and change the way the hickories act for years to come :-D I've heard of crosses between the two and I'd like to see the seedlings at least get started here .

Jack

wills
10-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Read in the paper that this years pecan crop will be less than half of last years and it is that way in all areas. My one pecan tree did real good last year and I don't think it is going to produce a one this year. Cant blame this one on bush---it's a tree.

Ever wonder why there are so many Pecan trees in Angelo? Years ago the Standard Times promoted them, had them shipped in. I’ve seen old photographs of people lined up down at the paper to get their trees.

felix
10-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Jack, you are talking about Hicans, a manufactured cross between Shagbark Hickory and some pecan variety, hopefully an easy growing cultivar. Yes, do plant some Hicans, as well as some native pecans and some Shagbarks too. The Shagbark nut tastes just like pecans to me, and the former would be an OK substitue if it were not for their smaller size. No matter, keep your 22's loaded during the whole season, from flowering stage to picking up the nuts. ... felix

Blackwater
10-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Here in GA, it's been dry, and that's never good for the pecan crop. Sure had some good ones last year, but ... this year looks like it's gonna' be a bit thin.

jar-wv
10-29-2006, 01:16 AM
pecans are always the first to dissapear when i have a winfall and can afford mixed nuts. hmmm come to think of it is what i get here for free.

jar

Jack Stanley
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Felix , I think I am learning what you mean . I have a few Carpathian walnuts growing here and one was producing just a few for the first time since they were planted . The tree rats got every last one :twisted: :Fire: I am considering the purchase of some concertina wire for next year . :)

There's a place in Kentucky that sells grafted , Hicans I may try and get a few and hope for the best .

Jack

Ranch Dog
10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
My pecans are putting out like crazy. We have already picked up several hundred pounds.