PDA

View Full Version : ok guys, if you had to buy one mold..

mini14
01-02-2011, 11:42 AM
to cast for your inline using sabots what would it be?

I'm thinking lyman devastator 429640 but I would like something that would serve a dual role in my 45 acp...that being said the lee 452-255-RF would probably serve well in both roles.

What say you?:veryconfu

Maven
01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I got surprisingly good accuracy with Ly. #429421 and RCBS 44-250K with MMP green sabots and loose FFg black powder. Btw, with the same powder charge and components, the Lee 240gr. TL bullet didn't group nearly as well.

quilbilly
01-03-2011, 01:34 AM
I have been using the Lee 240 gr SWC with MMP sabots for at least 15 years in both my T/C White Mtn carbine and T/C Greyhawk. No complaints from me or either the deer or elk that were on the receiving end and ended up in the freezer. The carbine gets 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards when my old eyes will do their part. My load is 78 gr of FFF for both critters.
I will admit that I prefer a 45 patched round ball for deer but always use the sabot boolits on combined deer/elk hunts. The 45 round ball does to deer what the sabot boolit does to elk.

Johnch
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
IMO the Lee 429 310 is hard to beat

I cast them out of pure lead

Only way IMO to beat it is when I get the NOE version that is HP'ed

John

Screwbolts
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I would go to BRP product, he is a vendor sponsor of this site and he offers two (2) smooth sided designs specifically for sabots. Bruce made me a 5 cavity of his 300 grainer, this shoots well with MMp and Harvester sabots with any of the current subs, and holy Black.

In my case I build and hunt with my own Smokeless MLers. the bevel base was allowing sabots to blow, this will not be a problem with any other powder than the origonal BP sub, that being Smokeless powder.

I sent my 5 cav. back to Bruce for a Mod to remove most of the bevel base, I asked him to shorten the blocks, he did just that and returned the mold in 8 days, this is service!!!! I now have a 5 cavity mold that drops 288 gr boolitz with a .268 meplat. These work well/great in my smokeless guns.

I also have a LBT 333 gr smooth sided double cavity. This to is a work of art!! shoots great kills fast.

I cast from both molds water dropped WWs. I like HC for MLs with these boolitz because of the good to great Meplat.

Ken

garbear
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
+1 on BRP. I have a 300 grain mold with 3 cavities. One cavity does a hollow point. Looking at it now would only change for all solid points. I have some cast up and could send you some to try. They area little heavier then 300 and I resize them to 452 with a lee sizer. They shoot great in my T/C Omega X7. I use harvester crush rib sabots. I shoot blackhorn209 about 90 grains
Garbear