PDA

View Full Version : Prepare for more newbies...

HangFireW8
01-02-2011, 04:26 AM
... and save your brass!

The price of copper just hit an all-time high. The price of j-words and loaded ammo ain't coming down any time soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12098576

-HF

WHITETAIL
01-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes I do.
I have a bucket that I keep
all the old brass in so I can
sell it to the junk man.
Then buy any lead he has.:lovebooli

onondaga
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Now you guys know, they are going to want their AK47s to shoot Nato velocities with cast lead bullets, so be prepared.

gary

2Tite
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing and have been in "hoard mode" for a while now. I do want the grandsons to be able to enjoy some of this. At 10, 5 and 2 I'm going to need quite a pile of stuff to keep us going.

looseprojectile
01-02-2011, 05:05 PM
as precious as silver. Though Silver is up 600% in the last couple of years.
And I gave away all my scrap last fall to clean up the yard. My wife is tickeled.
I am bummed. There was probably eighty pounds of copper just in one old military generator that went with it. Probably a couple of hundred pounds of brass. The guy that got the scrap seemed very happy.
Over $4.30 a pound, who woulda thunk it?
Copper like most metals costs way more to make it from ore than to recycle it from scrap. I just might have to rekindle the scrapper in me.
The rising of prices of everything just gives us the TRUTH of the falling value of the
Federal reserve Notes that we have in our pockets.

Life is good

Fixxah
01-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah but lead is being outlawed as we speak.

Leadmelter
01-02-2011, 05:18 PM
They are talking about re-opening the copper mines in the UP of the Great Mitten that have been closed for years. However, the process they want to up is very toxic and being next to the Earth's largest fresh water supply, not a good idea at this point.

Gerry

45r
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe have to use muzzleloaders using conicals or balls to keep shooting.Wouldn't need brass or tin.

John Boy
01-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I have a bucket that I keep
all the old brass in so I can
sell it to the junk man. ... and don't forget to dump the spent primers in the bucket too

Leadmelter
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Forgot to mention that our friends in China have a large copper mining operation in Afghanastan that is not attacked by insurgents. Umh! Glad we over there spilling our blood and tax dollars for a bunch of corrupt b+++tards waiting for us to leave so they can sell their minerals to the highest bidder.
Nukem all!
Gerry

shaune509
01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
keep the primers seperate from the junk brass, they have steel anvils and will get your bucket of scrap brass a lower price as dirts brass @ up to 50% less.
shaune

Bwana
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
keep the primers seperate from the junk brass, they have steel anvils and will get your bucket of scrap brass a lower price as dirts brass @ up to 50% less.
shaune

That would be a negative on the steel unless you are talking about shotgun primers.

shaune509
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM
last time was at scrap dealer asked if could just add spent primers and junk cases in the yellow brass i take in from plumbing, worker showd me that the old ammo was atracted to the magnet. this was not steel mil cases but mixed rifle and pistol and the magnet seemed to only attract at the primers. the only way to get your best price is to sort as "clean deprimed" and dirty mixed. the scrap yards will be picky so if its clean you can ask for the best price, even if the smelting of brass or what ever will seperate the non desireds out they will always use the excuse of that one steel item to cut the price.
shaune

waksupi
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Try some capitals in there, we may be able to read it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing and have been in "hoard mode" for a while now. I do want the grandsons to be able to enjoy some of this. At 10, 5 and 2 I'm going to need quite a pile of stuff to keep us going.

+2 there 2Tite,
I was born in Hoard Mode by Hoard mode type parents.
I really have to work at it to not Hoard.
Since 2008 and that ammo scare and high commodity prices,
I've been in High Hoard mode gear. :bigsmyl2:
Jon

HangFireW8
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Now you guys know, they are going to want their AK47s to shoot Nato velocities with cast lead bullets, so be prepared.

That's some messed up newbies, wanting NATO performance out of Eastern Bloc ammo!