PDA

View Full Version : Spam, Spam, Spam!

Bigjohn
10-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Just like the Monty Python song; since I started posting on this site the stuff has just flowed in.

As I don't pay any attention to the junk and just add the sender to the expanding blocked senders list; I often wonder what they hope to achieve.

I am definately not intending to ever respond to them and they would certainly would not like to receive their own junk at home on their PC.

Maybe we need to treat them like hackers.

Well. I'm planning on shutting down my mail box for a while and checking in with my friendly comp tech.

Let my know please if any other members have had simular issues.

:drinks:
John.

Bad Ass Wallace
10-26-2006, 07:41 PM
If you did respone, you would end up with a "winky" as big as an Anaconda, boobs that would do justice to a prize milking cow, and a body that could walk between the raindrops:twisted:

Bigjohn
10-26-2006, 08:34 PM
BAW,

I like your outlook on this matter, oh so very close to the bone!

I am still chuckling away as I type this, Thank you the laugh, Mate.

I have consulted with my tech person and just finished up loading some protection.:Fire:

Now if I could just nuke their computors as retribution.:twisted:

John.

454PB
10-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't think it can be blamed on this site. Do you have Spybot and a firewall?

Swagerman
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
My junk mail has quadrupled 10 fold.

I had Firewall, but for some reason it and the icon on the address bar links dissapeard.

And I cannot reinstate the firewall or the icon.

Jim

454PB
10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Here are links to free versions of what I run to protect my computer from hacking. Also, Firefox is a safer browser than IE or Netscape.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=selector_za

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

felix
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
If you really want protection, the best way is do daily operations from scratch. This means the daily reload of the operating system from a permanent CD. The only virus that can get to you would be one that slipped in during the day and rewrote your firmware. Look at virtual machine operating systems, which will then load either Unix or Windows at your command. ... felix

Bigjohn
10-28-2006, 05:36 PM
454PB; I agree with you, I cannot wholely blame this site as the source of my problem. I was just connecting the dots on my activities and comparing them to where I have been.
My increased activity at this site (and I mainly visit here) resulted in an increase in the material received.

44woody, I am aware of your PM but like others here I cannot access any PM's at present. The notification I received contained your query, so I will answer it in public.
There are many things you can do to TRY and prevent all sorts of malicous material from coming in. 44woody posted a couple of links to free versions of protection. My solution is T'bird by Mozilla, I will insert a hyperlink for their site for you and others needing help.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

There is no software which will actually stop spam or malware in their tracks but at least T'bird reduces the handling. Note while typing this entry a message came in which was spam and T'bird sent it straight into the junk bin and will throw it out after a period of time.

I will see if I can email you the setup sheet (very simple).

John.

Gunload Master
10-28-2006, 08:27 PM
The only way you would see an increase of spam because of this site is if you publicly displayed your e-mail address for everyone to see. If you never posted your e-mail address, there is no way spam will be directed to you by this site. All that information is stored in a lock with no key on here.

Bigjohn
10-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Gunload master;
I would have to agree with you.

My activities on the net are very limited; I visit very few sites, do not sign guest books and have not to the best of my recollection posted my email address on any website.
Where companies include the spaces on forms for email addresses I leave them blank. I tend to be overly cautious where and when I use my email address.

For the club business I conduct, I use another email address and this is published on the national website but receives no spam.

I also admit that I do not know everything there is to know on this subject and would like to learn more. If I have a problem I ask my friendly computor tech for a fix it.

I add that this site may not be the cause of the increase of spam I received and I am happy now with the fix I put in place. It does not stop the mail from coming in but now I don't have to handle it.

John

Jetwrench
10-30-2006, 01:12 AM
I stayed is a super 8 motel 2 weeks ago and they sent me an e-mail. Didnt give them an e-mail addy or nothing, is their a list or something?JETWRENCH

shooter575
10-31-2006, 03:48 AM
I figure the spamers have a bunch of zombie putters just creating addresses.If they come back as undelivered they trash it.If not they got a good one.
sorta like the million monkeys,million typewriters =Shakespeare
What you have for a ISP makes a diffrence also. I work for a big university.40,000 employes. I get lots more spam there that my home set up with dial up. 10-1 ratio.And they pay big bucks there to IP guys to run that system? Go figure.You just got to to tweek your set up till it sorta works for you.
I plan on changing to a wireless high speed set up for home soon.I am dreading the tweeking I will need to do all over again.

kywoodwrkr
10-31-2006, 06:32 PM
I forward my spam to two locations:
one is our own corporate 'spam' fighters and the other is a fedral program(FTC I think).
The later is
SPAM@UCE.GOV
My spam goes through cycles.
Don't know if either one of the above situations really helps, but I feel better that I sent it to the shredder.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr