PDA

View Full Version : Shooting switch

tomf52
01-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Has anyone else ever been faced with this? I had to have my pacemaker moved from my left shoulder to my right side, my dominant side. Simple enough to learn to shoot lefty except that my left eye is not all that good. What I came up with was to try to shoot lefty with my right eye. Sounds awkward but holding the rifle up there seems like it may be doable. Went to the range today to try it out but the place was packed and I couldn't get a port. An unseen advantage seems to be that this arrangement places the shooting eye in proper alignment with the scope. Holding in a normal manner leaves a gap between the comb of the stock and the line of sight through the scope. Unsteady at best without a riser pad on the comb. Maybe the unconventional hold will be a plus. Anybody out there shooting with a situation like this? I have to find a solution as I'm tired of shooting from a LedSled, not fun.

Johnch
01-01-2011, 02:49 AM
Hope it all works out
But If that dosn't work for you

A young guy at the club lost his right eye to cancer
He bought a stock
So he can use his left eye , as he shoots right handed
It was a lamenated stock that he ordered

I am sure the same could be done the other way

John

mtnman31
01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
My grandfather had the same problem. He never was a pistol shooter and didn't have that to fall back on so, he basically stuck to shooting .22's. I guess his sight was so bad that he probably shouldn't have been shooting anything at all:mrgreen: Shooting and the outdoors were his love and I am always thankful that he passed it on to me.

btroj
01-01-2011, 11:18 AM
My father lost his right eye just over a year ago. He is right handed. We found a couple of different mounts that have made it possible for him to shoot right handed but with the scope over to the side for his right eye. Biggest problem was finding rifles where things lined up right. His post 64 mod 70 just did not work. Scope was in wrong place and you could see nothing. Both a rem 700 and marlins work great. I even found it pretty easy to use.

I will look around and see if I can get a handle on what exactly we used.

btroj
01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Look for weaver offset rail adapters. They mount on a standard weaver base but offset the scope to the side. They allow you to use any weaver style ring to mount the scope. Price was not too bad either.
Dad has gotten a couple deer using them, also uses them with red dot on shotgun for turkeys. Taking him to Manitoba this fall for black bear. No doubt he will do fine.

cajun shooter
01-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I had trainees as a Police Instructors that shot across the sights because of being right handed but left eye dominant. As soon as we found the reason for the bad shooting we were able to train them into good shooters.

Smoke-um if you got-um
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
My father has been blind in his right eye since a training accident in the Army ,1951. Has shot that way ever since, quite well I might add when he was younger. Doesn't do much, if any, shooting anymore.

Doc Highwall
01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
btroj has the right idea about offset scope mounts. Here is a site that makes some for Unertl scope blocks, maybe they can have Weaver blocks screwed to them.
http://www.steveearleproducts.com/otherscopemounts.html

onondaga
01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
You might take advantage of the situation and learn to shoot with both eyes open. Concentrating on a scope or iron sight with either eye will cure the dominance problem by sheer will power if it is something you spend a limited time with like shooting. Now, you know it is better to shoot with both eyes open anyway. Now is the time to really work on that. It will make you a better shot and a safer shooter with both eyes open. Oh, it will be annoying at first, but look at the benefit.

Gary

c3d4b2
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Here are some other alternatives.

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/gehmann-crossover-rearsight-short-cradle-p-798.html

http://www.gehmann.com/pages-en/detail.php?id=194&headline=Zoom

and

http://doantrevor.com/2010/08/12/offset-sights/

and

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/08/off-set-scope-mount-for-southpaw-who-shoots-with-right-eye/

Also found this......

Alvin Davidson supplies an offset scope mount which allows a right hander to shoot with the scope in front of the left eye. I could not find any Davidson contact info. I would give Sinclair a call and see if they could give you Davidson's contact info.

Harter66
01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't know if my "flaw" will be helpfull or not.

I'm cross dominate,rt hand-lt eye. I've always shot handguns right handed from the lt eye,even when shooting 1 hand out (the skinny profile way). Long guns have been an issue Ive never learned/been able to close my lt eye with the rt 1open. With that and a minor loss of vision in my lt eye I "discovered" that I've always shot atleast shotguns both open. It is challanging with a scope to shoot both open,as of yet no luck with field applied tecniques for peeps or open,from the bench I manage acceptably. I close both eyes breath deeply image my sight picture open both eyes and "find" the back sight, target, front sight ,squeeze ,bang , just like shotgunning now that I write it out only no slap,and finding the rear sight. With the scope I look for the retical 1st then the target.