PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster users, ergonomics question.

Lee W
12-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I am looking on getting the Master Caster due to my hands and arms getting old. I have a master pot that I have used for years and enjoyed the amount I could produce during casting season, but with the abuse I have given myself over the years, I am now paying for it with aching hands and arms. Manipulating a mold several hundred times is no longer enjoyable and I wish to get back out there to make boolits. Weight is not the problem, so going to Lee two cavity molds will not work for me.
My question to those who have the Master Caster is, do you find operating the handle on the master caster easier than manipulating mold handles?

Thanks,
Lee W

ReloaderFred
01-01-2011, 12:59 PM
The biggest advantage to the Master Caster is the fact that I can spend 6 hours in front of it and not feel like I've been fighting with a bear. The only motion is with your right arm, forward and back, plus manipulating the spout lever, also with the fingers of your right hand.

I started out pushing the spout lever with my thumb, but that soon resulted in a sore thumb. Now I use both my thumb and forefinger to push the lever and I can go hours before it becomes bothersome.

Another thing I found that helps is using a glove for the right hand that has some padding in the palm area. This cushions the jarring of the handle. It's not a problem for short casting sessions, but when the weather is good enough for casting, I prefer to cast as many bullets as I can. This normally results in a session that may run 6 hours, or a little more, depending on what time I start.

It's rewarding to spend a few hours and have boxes full of freshly cast bullets and not be completly worn out from it. I think that's the biggest advantage to the Master Caster. I'm over 65, and can't spend all those hours in front of a 20 lb. pot with a couple of hand molds anymore. About as long as I can last hand casting is about two hours, and then my arms and shoulders will be sore for a couple of days. In my opinion, that's the main difference between hand casting and the Master Caster.

Hope this helps.

Fred

runfiverun
01-01-2011, 01:38 PM
fred pretty much got it.
i'd compare it to half swinging a hammer [12 oz] 3-4 times a minute.
you can sit down and use the master caster, stand up for a minute and still operate it.
keeping the sessions down to a few hours at a time helps fight boredom, probably the biggest problem with the master caster.
the lyman,saeco and rcbs molds can be converted to the magma pot.

deltaenterprizes
01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Fred and run have it right. Only 2 cavity molds will work on it.

Lee W
01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am still fighting myself over the $714+ investment, but since I am not casting at all, something must be done.

I have the master pot.
Master caster base, $545
Two molds minimum, for now, $169

No_1
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Take the leap. Trst me when I say you will ask yourself why you waited so long.

Robert

biscot
01-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I wrapped a piece of foam pipe insulation around the wooden handle to reduce the jarring and give me something bigger to grip so my hand wouldn't cramp.
I agree with what's been said. I don't think you'll regret the investment, especially if you're not casting at all with the present situation, and especially since you already have the master pot.

casterofboolits
01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
One thing to pay attention to on the Master Casters is the alignment of the guide rails. Best way I can describe it it is..."not too tight, not too loose". Too tight and you wear the rails, too loose and the moulds bind when opening and cutting the sprue.

I also put copper tubing sleeves that freely turns on the opening pin, this helps to prevent wear on the pins and smoothes out the sprue cutting operation.

I have three of the Master Casters and adjust the rails to have minimal tension on the mould when closing and some clearence as the mould is guided to the opening pin. I( operate the lever in a kind of two stage operation. Pull the handle out of vertical and then back up a bit and then pull thru to cut the sprue and dump the boolits. You can get some wrist problems if you slam the handle when opening the moulds.

I'm in the process of refurbishing my Master Casters as I'm starting to get cramps in my left thumb when using the hand moulds, Especially the eight and ten cavity H&G moulds.

The Master Casters are easy to use and almost fool proof. Heck, I taught a couple of my cop buddies to run them!

heebs
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Lee

I have had one of these for 17 years. Great machine. I have found that using the side of my right hand index finger and pushing sideways is the ticket for me. Have multiple molds and 100 percent satisfied.

Herbs

lwknight
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
If you guys keep talking this mastercaster up like you are , you will end up costing me a bunch of money. A way to get 6 banger production from quality molds in any bullet design and high quality molds , ahhh who needs it?

runfiverun
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
you can run single cavity molds also they sell a single spout, and make single cav sprueplates also.
plus erik is now making a tool for hollowpointing on the master caster.
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/inset-bar-conversions/?picture=685#685