PDA

View Full Version : lousey no good @#$%^& zinc

XWrench3
12-31-2010, 05:21 PM
well, i bought some barrel sinkers, to use to slug bores with. i got them home and opend the package, and thought, something just doesnt seem right. so i did a hardness test, and they are so hard, they have to be zinc. i do not have a regular brinell hardness tester yet, so i just do a primitive "what i can do" test. which is basicly using a flattened out automatic center punch to dent the metal with. then i look at it under a very powerful pocket scope. the air cooled wheel weights leave a nice deep indentation with a big crater sticking up. and these things while it does dent them a little, there is no raised crater to speak of. the name brand of the sinkers is eagle claw. so scratch them off your list of items to buy. i guess i am going to have to make a crude mold, to make my own slugs with for this job. i have some aluminum, but that is about it. this, is going to be fun, NOT. :( did i mention that i HATE enviromentalists? at least they use one correct term in describing themselves, "MENTAL" ! why can not all these do-gooder idiots just leave us alone?

Gohon
12-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Eagle Claw has been using/making non lead sinkers for a long time now. They usually say say right on the package what they are or the words environmental friendly is written with a green background. Gremlin still makes lead sinkers but some of theirs are non lead also.

mpmarty
12-31-2010, 07:10 PM
go buy some muzzle loader lead balls, drill a hole in them and go for it.

PacMan
12-31-2010, 08:02 PM
What are you trying to slug?

runfiverun
12-31-2010, 08:40 PM
airc a lot of those friendly sinkers are tin.
you might wanna double check

Johnch
12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
I have heard of several areas that have banned all lead sinkers

Here is a list

Great Britain banned the use of lead sinkers in 1987.
In Canada, it is illegal to use lead sinkers and jigs in national parks.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is currently considering banning the use of lead sinkers and jigs on national wildlife refuges where loons and Trumpeter swans breed.
Lead sinker use is banned in three national refuges and Yellowstone National Park in the United States.
Maine banned the sale of lead sinkers and jigs less than one oz.
New York banned the sale of lead sinkers less than one oz.
New Hampshire passed a ban on the use of lead sinkers and jigs less than one oz. and less than one inch.
As of 2006, a ban on the sale of lead sinkers and jigs will also be put into effect in New Hampshire.

As the DO Gooder's claim the ducks , loons and geese were eating them
Maybe a few
But not enough IMO to warrent the total ban on lead sinkers

John

geargnasher
12-31-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree. While enviromental responsibility toward real issues is a must, I feel we ought to round up the enviro-wacko-busibodies and feed the lead sinkers to them. And a few zink wheel weights, too.

Gear

btroj
12-31-2010, 10:41 PM
No Gear. Just the zinc. Why waste perfectly good lead sinkers on those wackos?

HammerMTB
12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
No Gear. Just the zinc. Why waste perfectly good lead sinkers on those wackos?

If the delivery system is wide open, I might be persuaded to contribute some lead. It will come in 265gr doses. :holysheep

btroj
12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah, but wouldn't you rather shoot a frangable bullet? Something lead free. I really doubt they would let you mine that berm.

x101airborne
01-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Amen. I have read that you can make zinc boolits. 265 grain doses is just about right. Prove to them that expansion is better than frangibility.

onesonek
01-01-2011, 09:11 AM
If the delivery system is wide open, I might be persuaded to contribute some lead. It will come in 265gr doses. :holysheep

Of course on a more frugal note,,,,double the weight in a .458 and wait for them to be lined up. Likely shoot through 6, 8 , maybe even 10 at a time:twisted:

WHITETAIL
01-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Dam bleeding hart liberals!:Fire: