PDA

View Full Version : Think I am headed to the range int he morning

grubbylabs
12-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Think I am headed to the range in the morning to shoot some of my newly cast boolits. It feels good to have complete control over the whole thing[smilie=w:, now if I could just figure out powder and not blow my self up:confused:.

Here are some pics of a few of my final product.

PatMarlin
12-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Looks good.

Swing by and pic me up ...:mrgreen:

grubbylabs
12-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Ya I will be there first thing.

runfiverun
12-31-2010, 02:38 AM
actually you could pick me up.
hopefully it ain't snowing again tomorrow.
24 in pokey and 11 here...

x101airborne
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
I know it would be black powder, but starlighter, inc. has a kit that makes black powder 4 ounces at a time. It's a harbor freight rock tumbler, 5 pounds of linotype 60 cal balls, and a spreadsheet with mixtures and grind times for making different F's. Of course it also comes with the appropriate chemicals for mixing.

grubbylabs
12-31-2010, 01:25 PM
actually you could pick me up.
hopefully it ain't snowing again tomorrow.
24 in pokey and 11 here...
Sorry I am going North from me. But this spring I may find my way out there and see if you want to go shoot with me. Although I have to warn you I usually fill up a 4 horse trailer with pine while I am out there. But your always welcome:bigsmyl2:

I know it would be black powder, but starlighter, inc. has a kit that makes black powder 4 ounces at a time. It's a harbor freight rock tumbler, 5 pounds of linotype 60 cal balls, and a spreadsheet with mixtures and grind times for making different F's. Of course it also comes with the appropriate chemicals for mixing.

Don't tempt me, I am just dumb enough to try, and then my wife would be looking for you, and if she finds you, you better hope you like kids because she is going to leave you at least two of them.

C1PNR
12-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Yep, making your own Black Powder. Every time it's mentioned I remember Many years ago (the early 70's IIRC) talking with the guy behind the gun counter at the local K-Mart, or Skaggs Drug store, I forget which. I was interested in buying one of the new RBH in .45 Colt and the discussion got around to shooting Black in it.

The guy had 3 fingers on one hand and mentioned that he used to make his own BP and grind it to size, too. That's how he lost the other 2 fingers.

I've shot a lot of the "Holy Black" in my time, but I've never been tempted to make my own.:wink:

TCLouis
12-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Grubbylabs

Powder is EASY, follow what manual (not necessarily the internet) says and all will be well!

grubbylabs
01-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Well as I suspected the max charge of Unique gives the best performanse on both water and air cooled. now the only bummer is there is something wrong with the mold. I went out to cast some more and there seems to be some lead getting under the sprue plate that is messing up the base of my boolit. Kind of a bummer since I really like the shape and it feeds well.

does any one else make a T/C 230 grain .452 mold?

Moonie
01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Clean the lead off and use bullplate lube, usually the smear is caused by cutting the sprue too soon, but with bullplate you can cut it sooner than you can otherwise, it also keeps the lead from building up.

The solution isn't another mold because all molds will do this.