PDA

View Full Version : Got a call from Wayne York this morning....

Otony
12-30-2010, 11:26 PM
......my .25-35 Marlin 336 (well, really a 30TK) is ready for pickup! [smilie=w:

Unfortunately our schedules don't coincide until week after next. :(

He used a Douglas blank that I had on hand and profiled it to a 22" barrel. We kept the original half magazine of the 30TK but swapped the barrel band for a forend cap. No rear sight dovetail, but it does have a Lyman ramp front sight. I may use a receiver sight at some point but I will likely mount a NOS Bausch & Lomb 4x Compact to start out. Given my eyes it will probably stay on the rifle.

I scrounged up a checkered birch forend cut for a forend cap, which obviously clashes with the uncheckered birch buttstock, but all the wood work will be replaced with semi-fancy walnut from Treebone sometime next year.

Waited for another smith to build this rifle for close to six years and finally got it back in pieces, with no work done otherwise (did get a bill though!). Took it to Wayne about four or five months ago and he said delivery would be either this winter or very early spring. Obviously a man of his word!

EDK
12-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Your gun sound great...only thing I'd change is getting a dove tail cut for a rear barrel sight WHILE he was making the other cuts. Your heirs might want to change the sights. I had scope mount holes drilled 6 years ago on my SHILOH SHARPS for the day (fast approaching!) when I'll need a telescope sight on THE BIG 50.

I've been thinking about a similar project for awhile AND finally found a clean 336a to try out before committing yankee dollars to the rebuild/re-barrel project. I really like the 336 Cowboy, but finding them isn't very easy AND getting a DEAL is even less likely. The longer barrels sure feel elegant, BUT the 22 inch round barrel may be an excellent compromise.

If you would, please post some contact information for Wayne York so I can lay out a specification sheet and send him some $$ for the estimate.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: