PDA

View Full Version : I Got it Back

Hickory
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I got my boolit back.:grin:

I finally processed my deer.
Its not often that I can hang a deer and have the weather cooperate.

Below is the retreived boolit I used to harvest my deer.
It is a Lyman 429640 HP Devestator.:Fire:
It was a neck shot at about 50 yrd. it hit the spine and came to rest under the hide on the far side. The damage was extensive. The doe went down without even a kick.

The alloy was 90/10 lead/tin.:drinks:

http://www.fototime.com/D230C0D9C63303E/medium.jpg (http://www.fototime.com/pictinv/D230C0D9C63303E)

Blammer
12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Nice!

Von Gruff
12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Congrats on the deer, but more importantly to the boolit.
What was recovered weight and if I may ask what is the reason for such a high tin content. I know some is good but I thought about 5% was suficient for boolit fillout and toughness.

Von Gruff.

DeskDriver
12-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Very Nice Shot With A 44 Mag

JesterGrin_1
12-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Congrats on the Deer but it also shows that a hollow point boolit you are using is not a good one to use for hunting Deer. As you hit the Deer at only 50 yards without complete pass through. If the Deer did not drop right there and ran off it would have been very hard if not impossible to track without a good blood trail.

Maybe it is just me but for Hunting I prefer a Flat point which will give a good wound channel and complete pass through.

Blammer
12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
JesterGrin, it's just you.

If you shoot a deer in the neck you are shooting into test medium that mimicks gallon water jugs. I'd expect the HP to be mostly gone and pentration limited. After all the neck is SOLID muscle, sinue and bone. Bone I say! A tougher medium on boolits that water. To have it do that much damage and penetrate that far is outstanding for a HP. If it desentigrated that much on such a tough medium, it would do fine with some ribs and fluffy lungs and heart. Plus all them frags in the neck, that deer is going DOWN.

I'd say load up another batch and kill some more deer! :)

jmsj
12-31-2010, 03:13 AM
Hickory,
Nice job!!

Hickory
12-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Congrats on the deer, but more importantly to the boolit.
What was recovered weight and if I may ask what is the reason for such a high tin content. I know some is good but I thought about 5% was suficient for boolit fillout and toughness.

Von Gruff.

Well, I got around to weighing the spent boolit.
It came out at 186.8 grs. with a maxinum diameter of .578"
The reason for adding extra tin, is two fold.
First, because I can.
Second because I have found that 95/5, lead /tin will (in my gun) lead the bore just a little, and cause the groups to open up more than I like.

Thumbcocker
12-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice boolit. Nice shooting. Enjoy the backstraps.