PDA

View Full Version : New Lee 20# Bottom Pour, Any Suggestions Before I Use IT?

kend
12-30-2010, 09:28 AM
I bought a new Lee 20# bottom pour and have been reading about all the drip problems, any suggestions on improvements before I start using it? Thanks

Moonie
12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Years ago I had a 10lb lee bottom pour, it leaked rather badly. The 20lb lee I have now rarely has an issue, the spout is designed a bit different. If it does drip more than you like I have heard of people putting weight on the rod actuator. On the rare occasion mine drips, a quick turn of the rod with a screwdriver and it is solved.

dragonrider
12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
To keep the pot clean, never use petroleum distilate, or wax or boolit lube as a flux. Using sawdust will keep you pot clean and your lead cleaner and it will drip less. I admit I did have a drip or two with my pot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/lyman%20easy%20loader/IMG_9056.jpg
But that was a very unusal circumstance :groner:
One of the problems with lee pots is the stems are too lite, you can add some weight to the stem like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Lee%20fix/IMG_0109.jpg
Just a piece of 3/4" steel rod that I drilled and pressed onto the stem.

*Paladin*
12-30-2010, 08:29 PM
To keep the pot clean, never use petroleum distilate, or wax or boolit lube as a flux. Using sawdust will keep you pot clean and your lead cleaner and it will drip less. I admit I did have a drip or two with my pot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/lyman%20easy%20loader/IMG_9056.jpg
But that was a very unusal circumstance :groner:
One of the problems with lee pots is the stems are too lite, you can add some weight to the stem like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Lee%20fix/IMG_0109.jpg
Just a piece of 3/4" steel rod that I drilled and pressed onto the stem.

Holy cow! How long did it take to leak all of that out?

Boolseye
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I really haven't had any issues with mine–minor dripping, easily dealt with. The pot was not the problem as I learned the ropes. Have fun!

onondaga
12-31-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm happy with mine, but start wrong and it will get worse. The valve rod is slotted at top for a screw driver and so is the flow adjuster. Learn the difference and operation from the operators manual. Turn the valve frequently with a screw driver and keep a driver on your bench when casting just for that. Rust, scale and impurities in your melt can keep the valve from seating and allow a drip. Every time you get a drip rotate the valve till the drip stops usually 5 turns. If you tap the valve down to stop a drip you can dent or dimple the valve surface. Don't do that. That gives birth to dripping by damaging the valve. A lot of turning may heal it.

Lube is important to keeping good operation. Lube the exposed contacting moving parts of the valve and operating toggle, top and bottom with a high heat anti-seize grease. Lube failure can stick valve in open position.

Before getting through one pot full of lead I have stopped to turn the valve usually 4-5 times , plus when ever I flux or add metal.

Keep a bent paper clip ready to clean the spout also. Gunk that gets past the valve from rotating can clog the spout. Pushing the clip wire in and out and scraping around in the spout hole will clear it and give better flow if it was partially blocked. Use a bent clip end so your fingers are not below the spout, as metal will come out when you are doing this cleaning.

The flow adjuster can be finicky. Make sure you understand how it works and how to adjust it correctly. Over adjusting or incorrect adjustment can cause continuous flow.

If it is not working properly it is usually a lube or crud or trashed valve seat thing.

Keeping an ingot mold under the spout protects the base from mess and is a very good safety necessity for the eventual stuck valve emergency while you spin the valve and re-adjust the flow control without running hot lead on your bench and lap. Get one or use a brownie pan or something under there every use or you could get burned really bad and destroy your work area too.

Gary

GP100man
12-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Before I ever heated up my Christmas present (20#pot) I lapped the rod into the spout !!

So far (knock on wood ) not narryadrip !!!

& I never let the alloy get less than an inch deep !!!