PDA

View Full Version : Seater and bullet don't get along

btroj
12-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Got a new Lee 200 swc mould for 45 ACP. Casts like a charm and looks good too.
Was loading some and noticed lead shaved off one side, pressed into mouth of case by the taper crimp die. Though it was too little expansion of case mouth. Nope. The Hornady seater I use has a seating stem for a larger bullet nose. This is allowing the bullet to cant some. This is making the bullet shave off on one side.

Tried making sure bullet was straight in case before seating. This made it better but not good enough for me.

I will have to see if a bit of epoxy will allow me to get a better fit with bullet nose.

Anyone have a suggestion on seating die that does well with the tiny nose on the Lee 200 gr Swc?

prs
12-29-2010, 09:09 PM
I t hink you are on the right track with the J.B. Weld.

prs

runfiverun
12-29-2010, 09:28 PM
some hot glue will fix you up too

jr545
12-29-2010, 10:20 PM
some hot glue will fix you up too

This is the method I use. I works well and is removable for the next bullet profile.

btroj
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Jhornady includes 2 seating punches with the dies I have. They both use the same sliding sleeve but one is flat nosed, the other is made for roud nosed bullets. I was using the flat nosed one. It allowed the bullet nose to move all over the place. Swapped it out for the one made for round noses. It seems to keep the bullet more centered and makes contact with the bullet on the small shoulder. I seated a few in old cases to have to test cycling. All look nice and straight.
Amazing how easy it is to get lazy and assume what has worked with one bullet will always work with others. I suppose this is what keeps all of this interesting.

mroliver77
12-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Glad we could help. ;)
J

pdawg_shooter
12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
+1 on the hot glue. Easy to remove and redo when you change bullets.

steve in kc
12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure if the stem is reversable in the 45acp seater die (should be). If it IS, then just screw your bullet seating adjustment out all the way and the stem should fall out. Flip it over so that the FLAT side of the stem will be seating your boolit, not the concave end.

I had a problem with my lee 30-30 seating die pressing a 'cone' or 'ring' around the top of my C309-150-F boolits and this solved the problem as the FLAT part now only presses against the FLAT part of the boolit when seating. I can just flip it around to seat LeveRevolution bullets.

No hot glue to mess with.

btroj
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Actually Steve, Hornady gives you two different seating stems. I was using the flat nosed one. It was seating bullets crooked. When I changed to the one for round nose bullets it seems to work much better.
If I find this one does not work I will be going with either epoxy or hot glue. I have a feeling this seater is going to work however.

runfiverun
12-31-2010, 03:13 AM
i had to grind down a spare flat nose stem for my rcbs 30-30 seater. i think it come from a 357 set.
but it would then seat all three styles of 30 cal boolits i have [even the two pointy ones]
the glue was gonna get used, but the stem already fit the nose and it kept on keeping my boolits instead of seating them.
frustrated to say the least.