PDA

View Full Version : The things you find...(range brass)

colonelhogan44
12-29-2010, 02:30 AM
I recently bought a lot of 1000 .38 special casings, and found some interesting things:

Severely flattened primers:
Pictured is a .357 case (i got about 50 mixed in with the .38s :D ), but the same was seen in at least 50 .38 cases..
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/colonelhogan44/100_3408.jpg

Primers seated backwards:
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/colonelhogan44/100_3409.jpg

and even a live round (!!)
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/colonelhogan44/100_3410.jpg

People never cease to amaze me with the stupid things they do...
:holysheep

Walter Laich
12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm lost--what is wrong in the last picture???

Jim
12-29-2010, 09:27 AM
The shoulder on that semi wad cutter bullet should be flush with the case mouth.

44man
12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I think it is the one with the upside down primer. :bigsmyl2:
Notice that the head stamp says "Magnum!" That is a clue to some numb nuts to "Fill er up." More and faster must be better! :redneck:

The Double D
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Those flattened primers may only mean soft primer cups and nothing more....

44man
12-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Those flattened primers may only mean soft primer cups and nothing more....
I only use Fed primers and even with .454 brass with opened primer pockets for a LP and running a few to 55,000 psi, I have never seen a primer flat like that.
I have never seen anything like that with a .357 even when I worked over max with heavy boolits.
I watched an old man shoot IHMSA with a S&W .357 years ago and he always shot where there was a 2x2 post in the ground. After five shots he had to beat the ejector rod on the post to remove empties.

troy_mclure
12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
i shoot alot of 10mm and .204 ruger, primers are always flat.

frkelly74
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I agree, you do find odd things if you look. The backward primer says to me that someone was not paying attention. Even factory rounds are not immune from strangeness. I have found Olympic 7.62X54r rounds that had ruptured primers but were still loaded with bullet and powder. The "autopsy" revealed that there were no flash holes in the brass. then there are the 300 win mags that were fired in a 300 weatherby mag, or the 7mm mags that have been fired in a 3oo win mag , or the 30/30 that had been fires in a 30/40 or 303 brit. People do things, you gotta watch em.

Tatume
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

The loaded cartridge was found in a batch of used brass, meaning it was loaded by someone unknown to the person who purchased the brass. He is wise to not shoot it.

Down South
12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm a member of a very active range and many times brass is readily available laying around on the ground. Mostly 9mm 40 S&W 45 acp and some .380 in handgun and usually a lot of 5.56 or 223 in rifle.
I found a case a while back that had a primer flattened just as bad if not worse than the OP's picture. If I remember correctly it was a 30-06. I showed the case to another shooter that supposedly was a reloader. I mentioned that the case appeared to have been shot under abnormal high pressure. The guy looked at it and said it looked OK to him. I scratched my head some then found another case that appeared to have been shot at normal pressure and had him examine the primers of both cases. I still had to explain the difference between the very flattened primer on one case and the other case that the primer still has what appeared to be a normal round edge on it.
I'm not sure the guy ever fully understood one of the signs of high pressure.

rtracy2001
12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I found several "duds" the other day where the primers were seated sideways.

Someone up at the range I shoot at has either a heaspace problem or a broken firing pin as his weapon will dimple the primers, but not set them off. They are not reloads, (Wolf steel case) and they always fire fine in my mini-14. going on two boxes now. :bigsmyl2:

RSOJim
12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
About the primer in up side down. I have a Dillon square deal b that invariably flips one or two upside down out of 50. I haven't been able to find out why. I don't notice it until the loaded round falls out in the tray.

Jim
12-29-2010, 11:05 AM
..... I still had to explain the difference between the very flattened primer on one case and the other case that the primer still has what appeared to be a normal round edge on it. I'm not sure the guy ever fully understood one of the signs of high pressure.

That's the difference between "reloaders" and "handloaders".

jhrosier
12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
About the primer in up side down. I have a Dillon square deal b that invariably flips one or two upside down out of 50. I haven't been able to find out why. I don't notice it until the loaded round falls out in the tray.

My SDB does the same thing, usually two per hundred are sideways.
I've never found the magic setting for the primer arm to eliminate this.

Jack

375supermag
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Jack

I had the same problem with a Lee 1000 progressive press.
I could not depend on it to consistently seat primers correctly. It also had an alarming tendency to not drop a powder charge every once in a while...Most disconcerting, don't you know?
That is why my Lee progressive resides in a box in a cabinet where it can do no harm.

I have been loading on an RCBS RockChucker for years without those problems. It may take a little longer to load rounds on a single-stage, but I have never had a misfire due to incorrectly seated primers or a squib load because an automatic powder measure failed to drop a charge.

Every now and then, I get the urge to speed my reloading up with a progressive. First thing I do is pull out that old Lee and just sit and ponder a couple of lost matches because of squib loads. Back goes the Lee into its spot in the cabinet.

And back I go to the bench to do each and every step on my RockChucker.

deltaenterprizes
12-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm a member of a very active range and many times brass is readily available laying around on the ground. Mostly 9mm 40 S&W 45 acp and some .380 in handgun and usually a lot of 5.56 or 223 in rifle.
I found a case a while back that had a primer flattened just as bad if not worse than the OP's picture. If I remember correctly it was a 30-06. I showed the case to another shooter that supposedly was a reloader. I mentioned that the case appeared to have been shot under abnormal high pressure. The guy looked at it and said it looked OK to him. I scratched my head some then found another case that appeared to have been shot at normal pressure and had him examine the primers of both cases. I still had to explain the difference between the very flattened primer on one case and the other case that the primer still has what appeared to be a normal round edge on it.
I'm not sure the guy ever fully understood one of the signs of high pressure.

The lack of knowledge of shooters does not surprise me anymore. When I stumble upon a knowledgable shooter THAT surprises me!

deltaenterprizes
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
That's the difference between "reloaders" and "handloaders".

Case stuffers is the term used by an old timer in my gun club, all they do is replace the components with no rhyme or reason!

colonelhogan44
12-29-2010, 12:16 PM

It was received in a lot of range brass...sent through the postal system. Probably nothing wrong with it, but I'm not shooting it.

merlin101
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
I think it is the one with the upside down primer. :bigsmyl2:
Notice that the head stamp says "Magnum!" That is a clue to some numb nuts to "Fill er up." More and faster must be better! :redneck:

UMMMN, you mean there's another way?

Tatume
12-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Some years ago I asked Dillon about that. They told me it is characteristic of the Square Deal and cannot be corrected.

geargnasher
12-29-2010, 01:23 PM
The shoulder on that semi wad cutter bullet should be flush with the case mouth.

Be careful. The "should" is relative, for example I always crimp in the crimp groove like in the picture, but that's because my cylinders can handle it and the loads are worked up for the larger case volume. Some .38s have short cylinders and must have the boolit seated to crimp over the front band.

As for the flattened/dished primers, I don't see an over-pressure situation necessarily, looks more like a revolver headspace issue to me. That will cause the primer to back out upon firing and then get mushroomed and flattened back in as the case thrusts back against the frame as the pressure builds. The way to tell would be the appearance of the outside case walls, to see if there was difficult extraction or chamber wall embossing.

Gear

Tatume
12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I found a case a while back that had a primer flattened just as bad if not worse than the OP's picture. If I remember correctly it was a 30-06. I showed the case to another shooter that supposedly was a reloader. I mentioned that the case appeared to have been shot under abnormal high pressure. The guy looked at it and said it looked OK to him. ... I'm not sure the guy ever fully understood one of the signs of high pressure.

Primer condition is a very unreliable indicator of pressure. Many times I've seen severely flattened primers on ammunition I knew to be not only safe, but relatively lightly loaded. Factory ammunition sometimes exhibits flattened primers also.

Flattening of primers can be caused by excessive pressure, soft primer cups, excessive headspace, condition of the primer pocket (expanded from many uses), and probably other things. By itself, it does not necessarily signify abnormally high pressure.

x101airborne
12-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I ordered 10,000 once fired 45 acp brass from a distributor recently. Dumped into the Dillon 650 and started snapping off decapping pins. Checked for steel cases, none there. Replaced the pin (for the third time). Pulled the case out and it was new manufacture berdan primed!! I got around 50 in that first box of 1000. Talk about havoc!!!

Jim
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Good point, Gear. I stand corrected.

Down South
12-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Primer condition is a very unreliable indicator of pressure. Many times I've seen severely flattened primers on ammunition I knew to be not only safe, but relatively lightly loaded. Factory ammunition sometimes exhibits flattened primers also.

Flattening of primers can be caused by excessive pressure, soft primer cups, excessive headspace, condition of the primer pocket (expanded from many uses), and probably other things. By itself, it does not necessarily signify abnormally high pressure.

I agree to a point. I don't know what primer was used in the case that I found or if the rifle had issues.
I was trying to explain to the guy that this can be a good example of high pressure and is one of a few that I use. But I know what primers that I'm using and if I see a flattened primer in one of my cases that looks like that, I'll pull the rest of the bullets and figure out what the problem is.

1Shirt
12-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Dangest thing I have found on the range was a full box of empty 300 win factory cases that had been shot in a 300 Weatherby. Sort of looked like great big 218 mashburn bees with belts. Shows the strength of the rifle, and the advantage I think of belted cases as far as headspace. Still, hard to believe that someone would buy 300 win and shoot it in a Weatherby and not know the difference.
1Shirt!:coffee:

MtGun44
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
The shoulder should be flush on a semiwadcutter?????????????

Mine NEVER are, altho I suppose you could do that. Elmer's designs are
very specifically made with a lot of shoulder out to center the round
in the transition taper from the chamber to the throat. Most SWCs have a crimp
groove to define the standard seating location, altho some short
cylinder S&W N frames require seating crimped over the shoulder, they
are the real oddballs.

Sorry to say, but you are really very wrong on that statement. I would
hazard a guess that they almost never are set flush.

Bill

RKJ
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm not trying to call anyone out but some years ago (much younger and bulletproof) I had a 629 and loaded up Keith's load of 22 grains of 2400 under a hard cast LSWC, Remington brass, and (IIRC) Winchester Mag primers. Every time I fired that load I had to force the empties out. Needless to say I didn't use that load much or for very long. My point being this was a published load and was a "Hot" load but was considered safe in most any .44 mag.

sewerman68
12-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I saw a guy at the range one day, at the bench next to mine and noticed he was POUNDING on the bolt handle of his rifle trying to get it to close. I asked if he was having trouble and could I help. He said sure have a look. He was trying with all his might to close the bolt of a spanish mauser in 7x57 on a 7mm mag cartridge ;-) I can not even imagine what would have happened if he had somehow touched that off.[smilie=1:

AZ-Stew
12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Severely flattened primers can be caused by excessive headspace. If the case rim is too thin, the case can be driven forward by the firing pin until it stops on the forward edge of the rim/aft edge of the chamber. At that point, the primer fires, driving it back out of its pocket until it hits the recoil shield. It will then expand slightly, radially. Shortly thereafter, the powder charge ignites, driving the case back against the recoil shield and forcing the bulged primer to fill the primer pocket and its radius. Voilą! Severely flattened primer, and all done with a cartridge having normal pressure, but excessive headspace.

Regards,

Stew

AZ-Stew
12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm not trying to call anyone out but some years ago (much younger and bulletproof) I had a 629 and loaded up Keith's load of 22 grains of 2400 under a hard cast LSWC, Remington brass, and (IIRC) Winchester Mag primers. Every time I fired that load I had to force the empties out. Needless to say I didn't use that load much or for very long. My point being this was a published load and was a "Hot" load but was considered safe in most any .44 mag.

Keith's load specifically used STANDARD LP primers, not magnum. In addition, the recent lots of 2400 are said to be faster burning than the older lots. This suggests a reduction in powder charge from 22.0 to 21.0-20.0 grains. Your loads were WAY too hot.

Regards,

Stew

Bullshop
12-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Reguardless of data being published or not if it is sticking cases in your gun it is too hot for YOUR gun period!
If it is below published data and is sticking cases in your gun it is too hot for YOUR gun period!
Any load that is sticking cases in your gun is too hot for YOUR gun period!
Get the idea?

onondaga
12-30-2010, 01:33 AM
A few of the members at my club have noticed broken ping pong balls and 6 foot wide splotches of powdered blue chalk on the backstop berm. I caught the offender shooting powdered chalk filled ping pong balls out of an M203 Grenade Launcher on his AR15. He let me fire one so I didn't rat on him. I usually fire D cell batteries out of mine, but I always pick them up.

Gary

Al_sway
12-30-2010, 01:33 AM
A lot of good points, but I have to disagree with a couple.
Hopefully the point about seating the SWC flush with the case mouth was a joke, and the little smiley got lost. Almost all of my SWC are seated in the crimp groove, and only in certain cases would they be otherwise. Certainly not a rule, and could be dangerous in increasing pressure if someone takes it as a rule.
Secondly, I pick up a lot of range brass after shooters have finished with their factory ammunition in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. I have seen the exact same flattened primers with some Winchester lots of .357 Magnum, factory loads. I have also seen some .38 Special used by security companies that also had similar flattened primers.
So, without knowing the origin of the brass, there is potentially nothing wrong with how they were loaded or the pistols they were shot in.

mroliver77
12-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Some years ago I asked Dillon about that. They told me it is characteristic of the Square Deal and cannot be corrected.
Funny as niether of mine have this problem. I load thousands of rounds on them and love them! Now the Lee pro 1000................
Jay

Crash_Corrigan
12-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Re: SD press....I have one and it does not malfunction at all...

I carried a gun for the NYCPD for twenty years and our issue ammo was a R-P .38 Special LSWC of 158 grs of weight. It was loaded just like the photo. They worked just fine.

I have loaded probably 20,000 .38 caliber rounds since and all my SWC rounds have been loaded like that.....they still work.

The Double D
12-30-2010, 09:15 AM
I only use Fed primers and even with .454 brass with opened primer pockets for a LP and running a few to 55,000 psi, I have never seen a primer flat like that.
I have never seen anything like that with a .357 even when I worked over max with heavy boolits.
I watched an old man shoot IHMSA with a S&W .357 years ago and he always shot where there was a 2x2 post in the ground. After five shots he had to beat the ejector rod on the post to remove empties.

Seen plenty like that over the years. And beating extractor rods of .357 S&W's didn't use to be that uncommon an occurance back in the day when we shot a lot of revolvers. Sticky cases at even moderate pressures was often an issue in load development. Bent my share of rods. Straightened a lot of rods for customers also

Bet you missed the part where I shot my 6 inch 686 DA only at IHMSA matches and got hits on Turkeys and Rams. Bowling alley drop pad leg guards came in real handy back then.

Elkins45
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Failing to wipe the case lube off a resized round or a very oily chamber can cause flattened primers like that with rounds that aren't over pressure.

Byron Cromwell
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I see something missing in this thread:
One of the most useful tools on Dad's reloading bench was an RCBS case tumbler. Since I started the reloading game with antique steel dies, I used to liquid tumble all my cases FIRST, then decap/resize, then dry tumble with corncob media, clean primer pockets if necessary, then prime and load. This kept the cases from scratching. I seldom had issues with berdan casings, except in bottleneck cases where the inside of the case head was very difficult to see.
Wouldn't you inspect any range pickup brass -- whether purchased or collected -- and clean it beforehand?

Byron

RP
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Well maybe some of the brass you got had been reloaded I know a lee priming system if not adjusted right will flatten primers out when seated.

buck1
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I have no idea how they got them to fire without headspacing , but I once found about 5 .308 win cases with no neck and a part of a shoulder for a mouth. They look to have been fired in a 30-06 somehow.

trk
12-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Good extracter.

2wheelDuke
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
A few of the members at my club have noticed broken ping pong balls and 6 foot wide splotches of powdered blue chalk on the backstop berm. I caught the offender shooting powdered chalk filled ping pong balls out of an M203 Grenade Launcher on his AR15. He let me fire one so I didn't rat on him. I usually fire D cell batteries out of mine, but I always pick them up.

Gary

How does that work out? Do you load the shells yourself or something? I'm not too familiar with the grenade launchers.

RKJ
12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Keith's load specifically used STANDARD LP primers, not magnum. In addition, the recent lots of 2400 are said to be faster burning than the older lots. This suggests a reduction in powder charge from 22.0 to 21.0-20.0 grains. Your loads were WAY too hot.

Regards,

Stew

This was back in 85-86 and I mentioned if I remembered correctly I used magnum primers, I'm not sure after all these years. If the load data said regular primers that's what I used, if it said magnum primers, again that's what I used. I also think those loads were too hot for that particular 629, but again I was using a published load from conservative sources and once I realized they were too hot for that gun I stopped using that load. FWIW, Alliant is now posting 20 grains of 2400 as shown below.

Minimum OAL Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight Velocity

1.71 7.5 CCI 300 2400 20 1,390

Your point about faster burning are valid, but I don't use 2400 any more and usually don't max my loads either. But thanks for the input. Happy New Year.

onondaga
12-31-2010, 04:52 PM
I won't be elaborating on that. Search 37mm.com

What I have is the CM203 smooth-bore 37mm launcher. This is a civilian model.

Gary

ironhead7544
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I found some 308 cases that were completely straightened out into a cylinder. Dont know what they were fired in. At first I thought it was some kind of wildcat but the guy probably wouldnt have left them on the ground. Looked once fired.

frkelly74
01-02-2011, 02:15 PM
A 308 is a little fatter at the shoulder that the /06. In a tight chamber it might jamb and hold enough to fire. My question would be , why are there more than one laying there. I always look at my fired brass as it is ejected to make sure everything went as it should have.

Speaking of jambing. I saw a "shooter" try to fire a 9mm mak round in a 9mm luger pistol. It jambed up tight part way closed and he couldn't get it open. He was quite puzzled as to what to do.

Texasflyboy
01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Jack

On both the SDB and the 550B you need to keep the primer slide bottom clean. Over time lead stypnate, or fired primer residue will build up as a dust on the bottom of the primer slide. Cleaning the primer slide, and the metal key shaped plate underneath will allow the primer slide to smoothly slide in and out as it picks up a fresh primer and returns it to the shell plate. Moving the handle smoothly helps. Slow and steady without jerking along with cleaning the slide virtually eliminated this problem for me. From time to time you will need to clean the primer retention pin that keeps all the primers from flowing out at once.

I clean everything in the primer operation about every 2500 to 3000 primers. A large amount of the dust that causes this problem comes from station 1 when the decapping pin pushes out the fired primer and often the anvil separates and dust is released and dumped onto the primer cup.

A clean smooth operating Dillon will rarely flip the primers. A dirty one will almost certainly start to flip them.

FWIW.

mpmarty
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
+1 on keeping the primer parts clean. On my 550B I use a bit of motor mica on the sliding parts.

Down South
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Found this at the range today. What do you guys think? Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. All I had was my phone to use for a camera. The brass is WW.

jhrosier
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Found this at the range today. What do you guys think?

44 mag fired in 45 Colt chamber.
(don't ask how I know)

Jack

Texasflyboy
01-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Found this at the range today. What do you guys think? Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. All I had was my phone to use for a camera. The brass is WW.

From time to time I find brass less damaged than this, or of equal damage. In my experience it's brass that has reached the end of its life either through heavy short use, or very long light use. The former is usually the culprit.

An easy way to find split cases is to dump them in a pile on the floor on a towel and lift handfuls of brass at a time and let it trickle back into the pile below you. Undamaged brass all sounds the same. Damaged (split) always has a flat sound and is very easy to hear. As soon as I hear that "clunk" instead of a "clink" I stop and look and usually find a split I have missed on earlier inspections.

Shiloh
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I have, on rare occasions, backward primers. I have found loaded rounds. They get disposed of.
Sometimes I take them apart and salvage all but the powder.

Shiloh

Down South
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I have, on rare occasions, backward primers. I have found loaded rounds. They get disposed of.
Sometimes I take them apart and salvage all but the powder.

Shiloh

I have a continer with 20 or more loaded rounds that I've found at this range. Some appear to be factory and some may be reloaded. Some day I'll get around to pulling the bullets and saving the brass.

nanuk
01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
won't too light a load also flatten primers as they back out first upon fireing only to be flattened home upon main charge ignition?

nanuk
01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I won't be elaborating on that. Search 37mm.com

What I have is the CM203 smooth-bore 37mm launcher. This is a civilian model.

Gary

now that is what I call "Exercising your Right to Keep and Bear Arms"

nanuk
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I have no idea how they got them to fire without headspacing , but I once found about 5 .308 win cases with no neck and a part of a shoulder for a mouth. They look to have been fired in a 30-06 somehow.

Good extracter.

I have a manual for cartridge conversion and I think it talks about just that. cylinder chamber, slide a 30-06 under the extractor and shoot it.
not factory loads though. B.E. and COW.

Bwana
01-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Since I've picked up a bunch of brass over the years I've seen a lot of stuff: 5.56 fired in 7.62x39, 300Win fired in 300Weatherby (this guy does this every hunting season, I track him by the firing pin crater irregularities), 9x19 in 9x18 a couple of boxes worth (always wanted to test this out my self. lower pressure chamber,blowback, and yet a larger bore. The case appears to grip the chamber mouth possibly retarding the extraction), 308 in 30-06, 44 in 45, 9mm in 40 (done that myself too), 357Sig in 40, 30-30 in I don't know what or how.
Given the many possibilities out there it's a wonder there isn't more.

Jal5
01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Found one loaded 9mm luger among the approx. 600 cases I picked up today.
Lots of 9mm,40s,some 45s, only a few rifle cases. I bet a lot of new guns for Christmas plus all the snow just melted last weekend. :holysheep

BLTsandwedge
01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
On both the SDB and the 550B you need to keep the primer slide bottom clean. Over time lead stypnate, or fired primer residue will build up as a dust on the bottom of the primer slide. Cleaning the primer slide, and the metal key shaped plate underneath will allow the primer slide to smoothly slide in and out as it picks up a fresh primer and returns it to the shell plate. Moving the handle smoothly helps. Slow and steady without jerking along with cleaning the slide virtually eliminated this problem for me. From time to time you will need to clean the primer retention pin that keeps all the primers from flowing out at once.

I clean everything in the primer operation about every 2500 to 3000 primers. A large amount of the dust that causes this problem comes from station 1 when the decapping pin pushes out the fired primer and often the anvil separates and dust is released and dumped onto the primer cup.

A clean smooth operating Dillon will rarely flip the primers. A dirty one will almost certainly start to flip them.

FWIW.

Correct, but I'll go one step (or two) further. The primer cup that brings the new primer from the feeder tube to the shellplate has to get to the shellplate hole just in time. If it is early, it will momentarily hang up on the underside of the shellplate- and then slide into place. Meanwhile, the primer cup is under upward pressure from the cup's return spring. That's when the primer flip occurs- it 'snaps' a bit as the cup slides into position in the shellplate.

Dis-assemble the priming mechanism and clean it well just as Texas tells us- then check to make sure the primer feed cup is still in-round. If (when) you hit the bottom of the shellplate with the primer feed cup, sooner or later it'll peen out of round. File it round with an appropriate round file and touch up the outside of the cup too. While you're at it, pull the shellplate and clean it well- along with the pawl or arm that rotates the shellplate. Clean anything that has the potential to retard the timing of the shellplate mechanism.....re-assemble, replace the plastic feeder tube finger tip (they're cheap- order 'em from Dillon) and then reload- slowly with even pressure- again as Texas tells us. Go slow enough to feel the primer slip into the case. Unless you are using military brass or exceptionally hard primers, you should be able to tell if a primer is starting upside down or not by the resistance it'll give. I've better than a quarter-million rounds through my SDB and I got it used from a heavy shooter. The primer flip-trick comes up on a fairly regular basis- every 5,000 rounds or so (or when I change from small to large primers) but paying attention to the primer feed cup and primer feed setup will make life much more enjoyable.

firefly1957
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
A friend had a bag of 44 mag reloads done commercially that had one 41 mag in it it expandes but did not split.
My RCBS 4X4 press has started flipping primers it is a pain in the rear. I think the arm is bent.

firefly1957
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM
I was picking brass out of trash can and found a box of .243 in the box were 2 fired shells with expanded primer pockets and 17 loaded rounds. I asked around and someone told me a guy had a .243 jam and he went home complaining of the reloads a friend gave him. I pulled the 17 bullets they were seated on ball powder so hard the powder left imprints in bullet bases and I had to tap cases to get powder out. I could not identify the powder for sure but the powders in my Hornady book (I just started reloading it was 1973) showed the load was about 10 grs. heavier than any of there top loads for a 85 gr bullet.
Friends like that we do not need !

JJC
01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I found it was way to cold the last time I went to the range

higgins
01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
One of my better finds was 3 boxes (96 rds) of .303 Brit cordite surplus. Someone had tried to fire 3 or 4 rounds, but their firing pin was so far off center it just nicked the edge of the primer. Combine a pin strike that far off center with not the best primers, and they were all duds-they even put them back in the box. I tried them in my Enfield (which has a well-centered firing pin strike) and they fired just fine, even though they were the infamous POF ammo. For free, I'm not complaining about the quality. Among my brass scavengings, a memorable one was several 7mm Rem mags. that had been fired in what I think was a 7mm STW. The non-reloading shooter probably never looked at the brass after it was ejected, but all of the shoulders were blown well forward and exhibited 3-4 small longitudinal splits. However, the rest of the case sealed the chamber well enough that he never knew what he had done.

nooneimportant
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Range Brass disasters collected over the years.

http://http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0 (http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0)

Jim
01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
range brass disasters collected over the years.

http://http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

"server not found"

Down South
01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Broken link for me too.

nooneimportant
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, is working for me, but lets put up the main board link

http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php

The photo thread of range brass is in the reloading section

jhrosier
01-06-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

try this

Jack

Tatume
01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Reguardless of data being published or not if it is sticking cases in your gun it is too hot for YOUR gun period!
If it is below published data and is sticking cases in your gun it is too hot for YOUR gun period!
Any load that is sticking cases in your gun is too hot for YOUR gun period!
Get the idea?

Except when it's not. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk that exhibits sticky cases with any load, including 44 Special-level handloads and factory ammunition.

Very little in the universe is absolute.

firefly1957
01-07-2011, 03:54 PM
The link worked for me but I think some of what he called unsupported Chamber was from a slide out of battery . I have some foreign military ammo (GREEK?) that splits every time I think the primers contain mercury the case splits after pressure drops. They are Berdan primed and I can not remember were I got them from probably given to me by someone.