PDA

View Full Version : H&R Huntsman 12 guage.

roverboy
12-28-2010, 11:20 PM
My brother in law bought a H&R Huntsman in 12 Guage and I was wondering if anybody had ever seen one? It looks to be in great shape, but needs a ramrod. I was thinking about using it for turkeys this Spring. He also got a H&R Huntsman in .58.

longbow
12-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I had an H&R Topper (I think it was called) or Huntsman in .58 back in the '70's. It shot quite well.

The ramrod was a telescoping affair. if collapsed to fit under the barrel then to extend you gave it a turn or two, pulled to extend then turn to lock if I recall correctly.

It certainly wasn't traditional by any means and I wound up getting rid of it for that reason ~ I kinda like traditional muzzleloaders. It did shoot well though.

The only problem I recall was that the breech face would crud up so the barrel wouldn't snap shut until the breech face was cleaned. I solved it by filing a small half round slot to vent gas and crud that came out of the nipple.

Mine had the old style breech plug that just pushed in and sealed with an O-ring. I have read (don't know for sure) that H&R got sued because a gun with one of those breech plugs had a hang fire and the guy popped it open quickly then "boom" and the breech plug killed him. I understand they went to a screwed in breech plug after.

Maybe hearsay but if it has a push in breech plug it could be an issue so play safe and wait a bit if you get a hangfire.

Longbow

rockrat
12-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Have one but never shot it. I use a musket cap w/my 58 cal. shoots very well

roverboy
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Since I posted this I've bought the .58. I'm gonna take out the breech plug to see what type it has before I shoot it.

DIRT Farmer
01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Also make sure the nipple is not to long, there was some who thought the nipple was long and the gun slam fired when it was closed. If it is the slip fit gun, lay a stright edge across the breach plug and make sure the top of the nipple cone is shorter than the edges of the breach. It has been many years since I have seen one. I had a 45 and it shot well.