PDA

View Full Version : Temporary substitute for a flask?

ghh3rd
12-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I will be resighting in my CVA and want to use powder instead of pellets this weekend. I have a powder measure but can't find a flask locally.

Does anyone have a clever idea for a temporary flask that I could use to pour into my measure?

DIRT Farmer
12-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Take an old cap for a powder can , cut the head off a case, 30-30 say, punch a hole through the cap and soder the case in place. Pour the mesure full and cover the spout.

White Smoke
12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Any gun store that handles black powder supplies should have a plastic pouring spout that screws right on to your plastic powder container. Look at this:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=powder+spout&x=0&y=0

SWIAFB
12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
I use an old plastic squeeze catsup bottle like you used to see in the diners. A buddy of mine uses a chalk line re-fill bottle.

Nobade
12-28-2010, 09:35 PM
I use a bottle that laser printer toner powder came in.

mooman76
12-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I used a chalk bottle, like the chalk used for carpenters to add to their chalk line.

missionary5155
12-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Good morning
+1 on any smaller plastic bottle hanging about. Any that has a screw on top that narrows .

ghh3rd
12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I was standing in the kitchen when I spotted a bottle of plastic BB's for my sons Air Soft gun. The plastic bottle even has a tapered spout with a screw on lid! He doesn't know it yet, but his plastic BB's are now in a baggie :)

Mk42gunner
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I was standing in the kitchen when I spotted a bottle of plastic BB's for my sons Air Soft gun. The plastic bottle even has a tapered spout with a screw on lid! He doesn't know it yet, but his plastic BB's are now in a baggie :)

That is cold-hearted. The least you could do is buy him another bottle of plastic BB's.

Robert

coopieclan
12-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I use a 1 cup Tupperware tub about 4x4 inches and a 1/2 teaspoon for a shovel.

The Tupperware holds enough powder for a couple days shooting. I don't fill it up to much.

I fill my adjustable measure over the Tupperware and it catches the spill.

This method seems neat enough for me untill I figure out the size of my loads and buy a flask.

pietro
12-30-2010, 11:39 PM
FWIW - To avoid "static cling" (static electricity), i.e. powder granules sticking to the plastic bots & funnels, etc, give the plastic(s) a dip/dunk in common liquid dishwashing detergent & let it drip/air dry.

nanuk
01-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I fill 35mm film canisters with preloads. then just pop the lid and pour it in.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Since I only shoot a 36 cal and have been using 30 gr per load, I pre measure into 7.62X39 cases, put a spire point boolit in backwards, and a small piece of tape works for hunting . . . for range work I do the rubbermaid, and spoon into a funnel trick . . .

ghh3rd
01-04-2011, 01:16 PM
FWIW - To avoid "static cling" (static electricity), i.e. powder granules sticking to the plastic bots & funnels, etc, give the plastic(s) a dip/dunk in common liquid dishwashing detergent & let it drip/air dry.

I just started muzzle loading, and the thought of static electricity makes me nervous, although the Pyrodex is not supposed to be very susceptible to go off from it.

DanWalker
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I use a 45/70 case for a powder measure for my hunting loads. When full it holds 80 grains of Pyrodex P.
I have another 45/70 case I'm going to gradually shorten until it holds my target load of 55 grains.
I have access to Pronghorn sheds if anyone would like one to make a unique powder horn out of. Just let me know and I'll go out and gather some up this spring.

wills
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I just started muzzle loading, and the thought of static electricity makes me nervous, although the Pyrodex is not supposed to be very susceptible to go off from it.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

DIRT Farmer
01-06-2011, 12:39 AM
If you want to get real serious the long range shooters buy plastic test tubes or weigh tje loads. I knew I never should have thrown away all of those expired blood tubes away when I was on the truck.

x101airborne
01-06-2011, 08:36 AM
That is cold-hearted. The least you could do is buy him another bottle of plastic BB's.

Robert

Why?? Wouldnt he have bought the origional bottle? Guess i would have been happy to have BB's.

JIMinPHX
01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I get real Leary about putting black powder in a plastic container that is made out of an unknown plastic. Static electricity & BP do not go well together. I'd go buy a brass flask if I were you. That's just me though.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-06-2011, 06:19 PM
The site indicated above concludes that it is nearly impossible to ignite BP with static in usual BP shooting and usage practice. "Holy Black" for mystics maybe, but not BP.

BvT

fishhawk
01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
even with a flask or horn. do not load directly into the barrel! load into a measure then cap or plug the horn or flask then dump the powder down the barrel. to pour right from the horn or flask into the barrel can cost you your hand. steve k

cajun shooter
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Jim, If plastic and BP did not mix then why do the powder companies such as Swiss, Wano, Grafs and others use plastic containers. If you shot and used BP you would also know that the myth about the static electricty has been shown to be a old wives tale. It's on the same level as having to drink 8 glasses of water a day that has been repeated by doctors for decades. Nothing but pure BS. You should research about BP and see the test that were done.

Taylor
01-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Well,if you need a brass flask,I give you one.You have to get your own spout!

kcajeel
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Take an old cap for a powder can , cut the head off a case, 30-30 say, punch a hole through the cap and soder the case in place. Pour the mesure full and cover the spout.

I used that method too but with a 223 case instead of the 30-30. With the 223 case you can use a 9mm case for a tight fitting cap on the 223 case.