PDA

View Full Version : LEE 6 hole, What's wrong?

405WIN
10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
I have purchased a Lee 6 hole TL design, 40 caliber. I have never used the LEE 6 hole mold but I am an experienced caster. I was looking for a fast,easy bullet to produce for Cowboy Action shooting with my 38-40's.
Well, I cast up a couple hundred and yes it was real fast to produce those bullets and the mold seemed to work as intended. I lubed the bullets with Rooster jacket and then sat down to load some. The problem I have encountered is that about every 6 th bullet is way over size and will not even fit into the belled case mouth. I tried sizeing some in my .401 size die and it nearly wiped out the TL grooves.
Since Iam new to this type of mold, am I doing something wrong in my technique ?:confused:
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Four Fingers of Death
10-24-2006, 07:37 PM
There are plenty of fat boolit freaks here, you might have a market for the fatties :-). Sounds like a faulty mould. I'd be dropping them very carefully and segregating the boolits from three or four drops and trying to identify if they are coming from the one cavity. No doubt an experienced 6 hole user will chime in. I have one (which is still a virgin) and one on the way, so I'm not really any help to you, sorry. Mick.

oso
10-24-2006, 07:58 PM
1. If you were working fast you might not have noticed something keeping the mold from closing completely each time - that has happened to me, if there are any fins that's a sure tip off. Make sure the mold faces are clean and closure is complete.
2. Or there may be a large cavity. Next time you are using that mold segregate the bullets from each cavity as Mick suggests - carefully using a center punch to dot/mark each bullet base before releasing them may help with segregation.

fecmech
10-24-2006, 08:39 PM
405--When you close the spru plate on the lee 6 holer if you don't watch close you can end up opening up the front of the mold. I have made it a point to look at the parting suface between the blocks as I put the mold under the spout for the next pour. If I don't do that I get occasional "fat" bullets myself. Nick

Marc2
10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Make sure you are not grabbing the spru plate handle when holding the mold closed. The spru plate is anchored on the front of the mold block and any pressure on the handle can cause the front of the mold blocks to open slightly. I made that mistake on my 45 TL mold and the front bullet was always oversized.

Marc

Marc2
10-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Sorry to be redundant. I didnt read Fecmechs post.

Marc

405WIN
10-24-2006, 10:22 PM
You know what, I was holding the sprue plate handle at first and then I stopped at some point. Maybe thats what was happening. I will be more carefull and look to see if it is closed all the way next time.
Thanks for all the tips. Should help.

Calamity Jake
10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Hope they don't look like this, HE HE

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/30calmachinegunmold.jpg

A good example of not getting a lee 6 cav closed.