12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
just wondering how all of you who cast .224 cal boolits size them
I am having a heck of a time sizing them
getting beat up real bad
coming out big .230 so I may be taking to much off trying for .225
have a couple of custom dies coming from Lathesmith to try a remedy the problem

Bullshop
12-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Your mold is dropping at .230"? Something is not right with that. Are the blocks closing all the way? Hold them up to a bright light and see if any light comes through from between the blocks.
Most new molds will have burr around the alignment pin holes. When ever I get a new mold I lay a flat file one the block half that has the alignment pin holes. If I see light under the file I stroke the file across the block until it sets flat on the block. It is easy to see where the file is removing burs from around the holes. After that the blocks will close without any light coming through.
If you block are closing and your making round boolits at .230" diameter and you need to size them down I would pre size them nose first then re size/lube them base first.
You can use a Lee die to pre size nose first or if you dont have a Lee die you can easily temporarily modify a Lyman or RCBS lube sizer to a push through nose first sizer.
You can do this by removing the ejector pin from the die and also removing the depth adjustment assembly from the press. With this done you can pre size nose first and push them through and catch them as they come out the bottom of the press.
If your new custom dies are to size near to what your boolits are dropping from your mold you will most likely run into problems seating boolits in your cases and also chambering cartridges with boolits that large.

white eagle
12-27-2010, 12:20 AM
my prob is I am smashing the little buggers
Yes they drop at .230 supposed to be .228
figured I could size down .oo4 but they are running larger than supposed to
its a RCBS 60 gr boolit mold

Bullshop
12-27-2010, 12:41 AM
That mold was supposed to be for the 22 hi power with a .228" groove barrel.
There is a member here at CB I think he goes by the name Dromia or something close to that. He is looking for that very same mold. Maybe it would be better for you to sell it to him and if your going to be loading for a .224" groove barrel to get the correct mold.
That would be a win win for both of you.

dromia
12-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Yes I am looking for a 22 Hi Power boolit mould. If you are considering selling it would you let me know your price by PM.

Thanks for connecting Dan.

1Shirt
12-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Bullshop hit it on the head. Would be interested in your results after you get the proper mold.
1Shirt!

white eagle
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
thanks fellas
pm sent

beagle
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Having made literally thousands of .22 cast bullets, I strongly recommend a nose first sizing rig with them. Either Lee's or a home made equivalent using either Lyman or RCBS sizing dies. Use this rig to initially size and seat the GC and then come back in a slightly larger sizer die and lube them only.

Nose first sizing will work but the chance of distorting and even bending the noses is there and you want these little guys to be like baby bear's soup....just right.

I have bent both .22 and .25 cast bullets. Especially in cold weather with no lube heater. It can happen./beagle

runfiverun
12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
i also use a dished out [cupped] rod to push them through the sizer and seat the checks.
and run them through the star twice.

.22-10-45
12-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Hello. white eagle, sorry to hear about your sizing trouble. I agree with beagle, nose-first is the best way to go for just about any bullet. Lee will make a custom sizer for the reloading press, give them a call. Thare a bit pricy, but I use Corbin bullet reducing dies. I specify an oversized entry, and specify your alloy.

white eagle
12-29-2010, 08:23 PM
got em to work fellas
used a Lee push thru die
save my boolits thanks for the hep boys